Proper way to format BTRFS in 1.7?

• Hi all,

In the light of my recent challenges from a btrfs upgrade, I've decided to completely destroy and rebuilt the RAID and filesystem on my 1.7 OMV.

Right now, the RAID5 is building (about 2 hours remaining), so I figured I'd ask what the 'right' way is to format the resulting volume with BTRFS is? I don't see that format available in the pulldown (only EXT4/3, XFS, and JFS). I understand that BTRFS is not fully supported in the WebUI yet, so I wanted to see what the advised way to do this was so that I'd have a maximal chance of things "just working" (as one would want from storage) in the future.

Thanks!
    Mike

• Offizieller Beitrag

Fair enough. Is there any kind of roadmap showing when it will become available?

There's a thread in the developers forum on it.. but.. honestly since I have no intention of using it... It seems most efforts are focused on getting ZFS fully implemented.

• Hmm. I don't see the dev section to browse, so let me ask - what is the ZFS roadmap? I came to BTRFS because ZFS was not available either, and it sounded like BTRFS was more 'baked-in". I'm fine with either - just would like one or the other.

• Btrfs is baked in as far as single disk and raid0/1/10/0+1 are concerned, however iirc Volker only allows formatting of a single disk right now without any raid.

The Raid5/6 is supported by the default debian wheezy kernel however I would stay away from using it until the next Debian Version is out...

ZFS is still beeing worked on and is restricted to testing only as of now. The Devs do not recommend the use on production systems yet.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks for the input, both of you. I'll go back to ext4 now, and hope that my NFS problem goes (back) away as a result. I was just hoping to get on an 'advanced' filesystem sooner than later as the more data I build-up, the harder it is to transition in the future...

Mike

• As far as I know ext4 can be migrated to btfrs. So you won't have a problem with that then.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• The various partitions of 682+682+246=1.6TB.

This is 4x2TB drives. This is probably the parity store, but looking for confirmation before I spend the next 6 hours restoring data. That's all.

• 3x2TB means 6TB which are 5.46TiB.

Greetings
    David

• So, when I click Filesystems, I should only see the p1, p2, p3 filesystems in the dropdown, and not the 5+TB? I don't recall seeing these 'minor' partitions on my previous install... I'm dd-ing the thing.

• Erm, you should only see 5.46TiB.

Greetings
    David

• Fresh array? Nuke it and wipe all drives clean.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!