extreme performance degrading in 1.xx latest for file transfers

• hello

many things to consider :

1. is it normal that the writes (windows copy or move) to a raid 6 system via smb is 2-3 times faster (60 to 80 KB/sec) than the reading of some similar files (20 to 30 KB/sec) ???
    2. sometmes the copy/move Rate drops to some 1 to 3 MB/sec and stays there .... (especally with the invisible osx created ghost double ._ files)

as far as i remember raid 6 should be slower n writing but much faster in readng data ....

specs :
    clent win 7 64bit, gigabit ethernet all the way full duplex
    server OMV with an i3 quad, 16 gig ram 12x3 TB (24/365)

any ideas on tweakng the windows part as well as the server part to get better transfer speeds ??

cheers - ahab666

• I am sure you meant 60 to 80MB/s right?

You need to test read and write speeds on the raid array first so check if there is no bottleneck. But from your specs it should be more than fine.

hello,

as i am a non UX person i wonder how i can test the read and write specs within OMV without using any shares, Samba a.s.o. ???

using the ethernet generates a 90-100 MB/s copy /move between PCs, a little bit less like 60-70 between PCs/Macs when initiated by the PC and lesse 40-60 if done by the Mac.

is it possible to configure the omv-system ssd involved as a primary cache device for incoming and outgoing data - if yes would that help ?

same goes for the 16 gig ram - lke reserve 8 for disk io as well as ethernet io - would t help to go for 32 GB ....

cheers - ahab666

• Offizieller Beitrag

90-100MB/s is very good, theoretical is 125MB/s. You can test network performance with different protocols (rsync, ftp, etc) but there is also a linux tool call iperf that generates a server, then you need to initiate a client in other linux client, or maybe windows with cygwin to initiate a network test-transfer

For testing read and write speed for your disk you can use the command dd take a look here:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/…linux-sata-hard-disk.html

As ssd for primary cache, i have no idea how to do that. But ssd cant easily reach 400-500MB/s. Your nic card won´t pass 125MB/s unless you're using 10Gbe nic or link aggregation with multiple nics

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!