Installation on SSD

• Offizieller Beitrag

How much is that going to reduce writing? 10-20%?, doesn't says how much. So you give some extra life to your USB stick, Is it worth it? Unless you have a UPS running I wouldn't risk OS data write in a volatile ramdisk.

If you're short in SATA ports you can use a mechanical drive with a USB enclosure as OS drive.

• Thanks for your reply. I don't know, if this will reduce the writing to 90% or 10%. However, even if I think, an USB-Stick could be an interesting option, because this could mean a new life to an old useless 2GB or 4GB-Stick, my question was more the first one, because I want to install it on a SSD: Is it a good idea to use a ramdisk or set parameters like RAMTMP, RAMRUN or RAMLOCK to reduce write-access on a SSD in OMV?

Btw. I tried to install it on an external hdd, but after reboot I only got the message: 'GRUB loading. Welcome to GRUB!' and a blinking cursor. Seems there is a problem with an external hdd...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for your reply. I don't know, if this will reduce the writing to 90% or 10%. However, even if I think, an USB-Stick could be an interesting option, because this could mean a new life to an old useless 2GB or 4GB-Stick, my question was more the first one, because I want to install it on a SSD: Is it a good idea to use a ramdisk or set parameters like RAMTMP, RAMRUN or RAMLOCK to reduce write-access on a SSD in OMV?

Btw. I tried to install it on an external hdd, but after reboot I only got the message: 'GRUB loading. Welcome to GRUB!' and a blinking cursor. Seems there is a problem with an external hdd...

Lot of folks install to external hard drives. It should go w/o a problem. If you're getting the flashing cursor and "Grub Loading".. then that means grub installed. When you get that message, did you try hitting enter or something, to see if the grub menu displayed?

• No, nothing happens if I hit any key.

I have had a look in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg, but I don't know, what should be there. I am not even sure, if this is the correct file ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!