OMV crashing, locking up network, and refuses to boot properly

• So, some time ago I started fiddling with OMV, and got a version running on a Asrock Q1900-ITX. Worked brilliantly; full-hd streaming, backups, and with Sickbeard (Sickrage) feeding stuff to transmission, I am blissfully happy.
    It runs of a Samsung SSD, and has three HDD's (two WD green, one older WD) running, all EXT4. It works on a PicoPSU 90W, and is connected via LAN to the router (two metre cable).

Then, it broke. No idea what happened, but assumed it was due to me fiddling. So, I decided to reinstall. Again, it worked brilliantly, and the next day, it refused to boot properly.
    Since I'd installed OMV on top of Debian Wheezy earlier, I decided to install OMV 1.0.20 directly. Didn't update though. Watched a movie, shut it down afterwards, started it up again, watched an episode, and left it on. Two hours later, the whole network locks up, without anything in the logfile of the router (TL-WRD4300, with NAT, upnp, and the SPI firewall enabled). Tried shutting off OMV by pushing the powerbutton, and it didn't do anything. WebGUI worked, oddly, but gave loads of errors, and finally, I tried putty. Through putty, I told it to 'shutdown -p now', and it gave me this:

Code
    The system is going down for system halt NOW
    INIT: Switching to runlevel: 0
    INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
    INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/rc"
    INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

Pulling the plug stops it, but if I restart it, and try again, it displays the same behaviour. Also, it locks up the whole network from the moment it is on, while the router reports no problems.

I've tried reinstalling several times, updating everything the first go (seemed to work for a bit, and then the same mess appeared again), updating only OMV (same result), installing the backports kernel (same result)(3.16.something instead of 3.2?), which also gave me a set of extra updates, of which some I applied based on the hardware on the next try (same result).

During the last try, I was able to connect to the webgiu, which worked, somewhat, and I downloaded all logfiles. I have been going over them for a bit, but have reached the point where my knowledge is severely lacking. However, 'boot' and 'messages' seem normal, and I have no clue about 'smartd'.

'auth' displays something weird; a whole lot of 'failed password' lines, and a couple that make me question my network security:

Code
    Oct  7 20:34:14 cardboardbox sshd[31975]: Failed password for root from 60.173.14.137 port 4239 ssh2
    Oct  7 20:34:14 cardboardbox sshd[31975]: Received disconnect from 60.173.14.137: 11: Normal Shutdown, Thank you for playing [preauth]

In 'daemon', I've got a whole lot of things I don't get, as well as some lines that I thought I should not see; removed a tick in 'notifications' somewhere to get rid of this:

Code
    Oct  6 21:38:26 cardboardbox monit[2639]: 'fs_media_37ad318c-8ee4-4e49-9824-62e71075cfc8' space usage 83.8% matches resource limit [space usage>80.0%]

'syslog' interestingly stops roughly half a minute before the network locks up.

Can anyone offer any insight in my situation? I've added the logfiles as attachments, and would severely appreciate any help...

• I should have been clearer; when it starts breaking the network, the connectivity between computers is severely hampered, and the internet connection is for all intents and purposes dead (although the router still happily reports 'all systems go'. At this point, the webgui works, and I can download the logfiles. To get the network running again, I have powered off OMV, and restarted the router.

Restarting OMV, at this point, can get me something of a shell going, if I attach a monitor and keyboard, but no webgui anymore; it refuses to connect to the network. The commands:

Code
    ifdown
    eth0ifup
    eth0/etc/init.d/networking restart

all result in:

Code
    Bad interpreter: no such file or directory

Interestingly, it seems to have lost more than that file; on the first line, it says:

Code
    OpenMediaVault 1.0.20 (Kralizec) (none) tty1

Where the 'none' is bothering me. This also appears on the last line:

Code
    (none) login:

Weirdly, it happily reports its supposed ip-adress, as the router would distribute it, based on a mac-ip table, but it never connects to the router. In the logfile of the router there is no request of any kind, and since the networking doesn't seem to exist on OMV, I think its reporting its 'old' ip.

I think shutting it down was not a smart step in the process to find the culprit. Would there be a way to extract the logfiles using the shell, and putting them on a usb-stick? Or perhaps it would be better to reinstall, and wait for the problem to surface again?

• Upload your logfile (see my signature on how to do that). Also, post the smart data of your OS drive please.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• What if I can't access the webgui? I've only got the shell going when I attach a display and keyboard, which can't access networking ...

I think I would be better to reinstall, and wait for the next failure. I'll do that tonight, and with any luck, it'll also fail tonight (that is the first time I said that).

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-mkconf omvextrasorg sendsupport (as root) will send the log and tell you what your ID is.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• While I am sure I've installed OMV-extras, it says
    Bad interpreter: no such file or directory
    after I try to run:
    omv-mkconf omvextrasorg support

Also, wouldn't it need networking to function if it needed to upload?

I'm going to reinstall, and wait for the next failure.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep. Missed your comment about that not working yet.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I've just reinstalled and put everything back the way I want it (loosely), and have quickly made a logfile using the method provided (id: 6SSn7IlI), as a 'baseline'.
    I did mess around in the bios, and disabled some settings (like intel speedstep), and have not enabled SSH. Now, I'll wait and see what happens.

subzero79: My mainboard is a Asrock Q1900-ITX, and I have no external USB hubs. Except for the hard drives, LAN, and the power-connector, there's nothing connected to the box.

Minor detail: I've not updated anything, nor installed the backports kernel. Should I?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I must have seen the internal hub from the mainboard then. That mobo is quite new. Kernel backports always has more up to date firmware and drivers. Test that kernel to see how it goes.
    If you want to "make changes" to your machine, first try it in a Virtual Machine, before you can break anything. The idea behind OMV is always to use the webui.

• I've installled the backports kernel via OMV-extras (3.16, it says), and get a quite extensive list of additional updates, including a set for the processor and LAN. Since windows XP, I've developed a slight resistance towards updating, and it all does seem to be working fine... Should I update anyway?

• Would mind showing it via Screenshot? Or copy it via PuTTY? apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -s for simulation.

Normally those are only security patches, but maybe you got other drivers for your hardware too.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• As you can see, most of them are just security updates, except the firmware ones which now are loaded from the backports repo. Everything fine to update.

Greetings
    David

• So far, still working. I'm starting to think one of my bios settings was creating the problem, but I'll be extra wary for this problem reappearing in the next few days...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!