Headless install omw 1.0 no worky

• I installed 0.5 on my headless NAS by first installing onto a separate PC (with video card), deleting /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and moving the boot drive over to my NAS. Worked fine for 0.5

Last night I tried updating to 1.0. After the update, I could not connect to the NAS. It did not connect to the router, and since my NAS is headless I couldn't see why.

So, I did a fresh install of OMV 1.0 following the same method I used for ver 0.5: install on a separate PC, rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules then switch the drive over. I still cannot connect to the NAS. When I move the drive back to the PC I used for install it works fine, router sees the PC & I can connect to the OMV web gui from any PC on the network.

Any ideas?

Is it possible to make a usb drive w/ ssh install for headless units?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can't connect a monitor to the headless NAS? What type of system is the headless NAS? Did you install the backports 3.14 kernel?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The NAS does not have a video card, or video card slot. It's an Intel SS4200-E

I did not install the backports 3.14 kernel. Is this required? How do I know if it's needed, and how do I get it?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Seems like it is either a driver or grub causing the problem. If you install omv-extras, it will have an option to install the backports kernel. It is worth a try.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• enable SSH and you can leave the HDD in your NAS and work over the CLI.

and: Read this guide, maybe it will help you
    [Howto] Install / Boot OMV on Intel SS4200

• Did you setup a static lease in your router for the nic mac address on this device. This way you don't have to have a static ip in omv and can use dhcp. But because of the static lease you will know what ip it connects to. How are you sure it is not acquiring an ip???

I doubt basckport kernel will help. This is older device.

• enable SSH and you can leave the HDD in your NAS and work over the CLI.

and: Read this guide, maybe it will help you
    [Howto] Install / Boot OMV on Intel SS4200

Enabling ssh does not help, because the NAS does not acquire an IP.
    I read the linked thread when I first installed last month. It helped me get OMV ver 0.5 installed, although I did not use the serial console method. I actually posted to that thread after getting it to work using the DOM swap method.

Did you setup a static lease in your router for the nic mac address on this device. This way you don't have to have a static ip in omv and can use dhcp. But because of the static lease you will know what ip it connects to. How are you sure it is not acquiring an ip???

I doubt basckport kernel will help. This is older device.

Yes and yes.

I have always had a static lease assigned to the NAS, which worked fine when I had omv ver 0.5 installed. I can see all the devices connected to my Asus RT-N66U router using the asus web gui. My NAS does not connect. I do not know why.
    When I swap the OMV drive into another PC, it connects fine.

• 1. Connect the hdd to the other pc
    2. install omv-extras and kernel 3.14.
    3. login locally
    4. rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules see below for explanation
    5. shutdown -h now. Your PC shuts down now.
    6. Put the hdd back in the NAS and try again.
    Maybe there is something wrong with the network (the NIC is possibly eth1) and you can't use omv-firstaid locally because of no monitor.

• During boot while installed on the PC I noticed the ide_generic module was giving an error (not found or something like that). I was using ide_generic in order to enable the IDE slot in my SS4200 (this is where my DOM is installed, used as boot drive). Did some googling & It looks like the ide_generic module is no longer in the wheezy 64-bit kernel. It is only in the 32-bit kernel

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=114295

I cannot find a replacement module to get my IDE port back. I'm still looking...but even if I cannot find one I have a couple of options:
    1) switch to the 32-bit kernel or
    2) use a usb boot drive instead of the DOM

I am limited to 2GB RAM in this system anyway, so is it a big deal if I use the 32-bit kernel?

Thanks for the help!

• Hmm.. what about putting the IDE drive in an external enclosure? Of course, one might argue.. it's time to let the IDE go, and pick up a SATA or SSD drive.

The internal SATA ports are all filled with data drives. The DOM is basically a small SSD. Booting from the DOM using IDE is pretty speedy actually, and noticeably faster than booting from USB.

Using an external enclosure I'd have to plug into either USB 2.0 (ug) or esata. I think the esata would be fastest, but it's less elegant. I'd rather have everything contained in one little box hidden under the printer. Plus I would have to buy new hardware.

One could argue that the whole setup is due for an upgrade, but it does everything I want. This is primarily a NAS, and xfer over the LAN is already as fast as it can be. Using Plex I was able to transcode a single HD stream or several SD streams. Sickbeard & couchpotato don't seem to tax the system at all.

I could just go back to ver 0.5, which was working fine. I upgraded mostly because I like to tinker ;) Also I do want to try the sickrage fork

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't see any problem using 32 bit as long as you don't plan to use zfs.

• Correct, for Wheezy and newer 3.1x kernels the pata_legacy module is no longer included or working for the amd64 kernels.

So if you want to use the PATA DOM module, or any IDE drive then you have to use the 32bit or i686 kernel.

For what it's worth current Ubuntu distros still include that module in their 64 bit kernels, which is why this omission stumped me so for Debian. I looked everywhere and asked anyone to would bother to listen to find out why the pata_legacy module isn't included anymore, but I never got an answer from anyone.

Just people saying stuff like "who cares" and "why are you even asking the question"....

So I gave up on 64-bit and just went 32-bit instead, at least for the intel ss4200 that is.

• I'm changing the thread to "resolved", since I have several solutions (even if not optimal).

For the time being, I'm using the 32-bit version on my DOM and haven't noticed any decrease in performance. The IDE to esata adapters I found were too expensive to be worthwhile. I did find some cheap esata to sata + usb (for power) cables. I think I could use these to install a laptop drive or ssd inside the NAS. I could also use them to expand my NAS capacity by adding any sata drive externally, although I haven't figured out what kind of enclosure I could use for that.

Thanks for the help & advice!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!