HPE Proliant Servers

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry for the late reply. That's quite an old server, I don't even think I have anything older than G7 in the lab to be able to tell you what's in it but I can tell you for sure that AMCC usually has 3ware chipsets for their RAID controllers, so most likely this is an off-the-shelf card. The HP RAID plugin wouldn't work with it, only the controllers we make do.

• Hi Spy, thank you for your offer for those of us with HP hardware.
    I've got a DL120G7 motherboard that I'm fitting into a non-HP chassis and could really use the 6 pin fan header pinouts if you have them. I've ordered one original fan unit from ebay in an attempt to get the RPM signal correct to send to all of the headers, as the new case will be cooled with other, larger, quieter fans.
    Also, would you know if all 4 of the PCIe slots on the DL120 motherboard will be functional? I know the DL120G7 and the ML110G7 share the same motherboard, but I assume they have different firmware loaded. In the DL120G7 manual it says that the top two PCIe slots are 'reserved'. I know in the original 1U case that they cannot physically be connected, but are they actually disabled in any way? I'm hoping to use a JBOD HBA along with a FC HBA at the very least, adding a quad HP gig NIC if possible.
    Thanks again!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Tagging @Spy Alelo just in case he doesn't have notifications turned on for this thread.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks @ryecoaaron.

We don't have the blueprints of the pinout in my lab since we don't work with the power & cooling side of the servers. As far as the PCIe slots, the slots are enabled but they were reserved for expansion slots and proprietary add-ons. Even though they are 100% electrically compatible with PCIe, you may have problems with clearance due to the position of the slot. I would test this outside of the case first with a card that is not critical to you, on top of a piece of foam that can cover the entire bottom of the board. If the card shows up and is functional, you should be okay. Don't update the system ROM until you are sure that everything works the way you want it.

*Hint:
    Usually, we use the red wire for power, yellow for tach, blue for PWM and black for ground. You can at least find the power pin if you have a multi-meter and should be able to find it if you measure 12v. The ground is also easy to find, just put the meter on continuity test and probe each pin with one lead, while the other lead is on a known ground plane. When it beeps, you'll know. Tach and PWM will not hurt anything if you have them backwards. Good luck!

• Hi,
    I have recently install an HP Microserver Gen8 with Celeron G1610T, RAM 8 GB, 120 GB SSD on ODD port and 2x WD RED 3TB SW RAID and I'm very satisfied.
    Everything seems to work well!

The only question is about the network card: I've plugged both the physical connection (and the iLO one too) but, according to the Dashboard, only the first network card is working (eth1 hasn't IP address, and there isn't green or yellow light in the dashboard).
    Eth0 is working at 1000Mbit, so I think that it not "include" the second network card.
    How can I get eth1 working?

Thanks in advice

• Quote from amirandola: “
    How can I get eth1 working?

I installed a G8 Microserver for one of my customers. As far i can remember there are different options in the BIOS for the second NIC. Perhaps Debian can not initialize it, when it is shared…

Mhm in my BIOS I find only one option about NIC, and is about Network boot ... Nu usefull option found :(

• Ok solved!
    Eth1 was just not configured properly! First I manually configure it using ifconfig, then I make a new bonding device with eth0 and eth1 using web GUI, reboot the server using iLO and now I have a bond0 device with eth0 and eth1!

• Hi there,
    i tried to install OMV on a HP ProLiant SE316M1 - but the installation fails at installing grub - any ideas how i can fix this?

kind regards
    chris

I assume this is the known/comming Grub issue - just try it again for a couple of times, debian & grub are typically juggeling the mount points (\dev\sda) around. In order to be able to install OMV/debian on a USB thumb drive you actually have to make sure that it is mounted as \dev\sda - in some cases the installer boots from the installation stick and mounts it as \dev\sda, and want to install on this one then as well....

hope this helps.

• Really really happy with my 3rd HP Microserver and 2nd one with OpenMediaVault

Above is a rsync of all my Music being transferred .. (around 1,5 to 2TB) ..

HP microserver starting from USB towards ODD (2,5" HDD with OpenMediavault) en RAID5 with 4Disks @ 2GB

5x HP Microserver Gen8, 4x with OMV. (3x OMV4 and 1x OMV5)

(Busy with migrating to 1 NAS) Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5 and Whale: 4x10TB UNIONFS with SNAPRAID

• I have an "old" Proliant ML350 G5 with an E200 RAID controller. It has the 8x2.5 FF Drive Bay. I was able to install OMV on it with no issues. It has about 500GB of SAS drives in it. I read in earlier post about using SATA drives and differences in using SAS vs SATA. I think I just want to use this server as a home streaming and maybe storage. Would you know the theoretical max storage and would it be fine in doing this basic setup? Also, I think Spy mentioned using the hardward RAID controller as opposed to software. So, since, at best, the controller supports RAID5, should I stick with that or use something like SNAPRaid to handle it? I assume then I would just tell the controller to create logical drives for each physical drive. Thanks!

• I have a dl160 G6. With OMV copy speeds are very slow. Specifically copy speeds from one directory on the server HD to another, NOT network based. Getting about 3-4MB/sec.

OMV is running on top of ESXI. Any known issues that would cause such an issue? I don't have the Battery backed write cache yet if that makes any difference...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, not having a battery will disable write caching and put your controller into a degraded mode. You can just disable caching altogether on the controller if you like, you don't really need it but it does help with the write speeds only when you set the array with it. Software RAID is not affected.

Also, having OMV on a VM can also decrease performance somewhat and you are at the mercy of VMware when it comes to storage reliability. I'd advise that you run it baremetal if you can and run VMs with OMV itself and VirtualBox for other things.

• Hi,

does your server support PCI Passthrough ? I'm also running OMV instances on top of ESXI as virtual machines and one of my hosts is an DL165 G7. Here is the trick:
    1.) You need an additional SAS or SATA controller in infrastructure (non raid) mode
    2.) Use PCIpassthrough to handover the SAS controller directly to your OMV VM
    This setup gives you native access to all harddisks, including SMART which is important. In addition it is as fast as the native machine would be without esxi in the middle...

The best part is that you can use the VM with OpenMediaVault to provide super fast NFS storage to the same esxi host....

This setup seems to be very reliable.... My ESXI hosts boot from USB, use a small 240GB SSD to host the OMV VM and everything else works via NFS.
    Cheers
    Mic

• Offizieller Beitrag

Although you are correct, PCI-passthrough is CPU dependent and he has to make sure that his CPU supports full VT-d. Also, there's no need to add any additional controllers since HPE offers HBA mode and this can be configured during POST or with the Smart Storage Administrator app (On a G6, this would be a stand-alone ISO).

Exposing the controller on HBA mode either baremetal or through VT-d would still not take advantage of any existing cache in the controller. Even though some may disagree, is best to let the controller do its RAID work through hardware since not only you get better performance, but you also get better reliability against power outages and automatic rebuilds either through hot spares or hot swaps.

Our RAID cards also have self-SMART monitoring and there's a plugin for OMV to give you statistics of your RAID controller as well. Additionally, if the controller detects a SMART event or any other failure on a hard drive, it will turn on an orange LED on the failed drive so all that's left is for you to swap it while the server is still live.

Sadly, you can't get any of these features with a soft array.

• You need one controller for esxi and another one that you can pass through. E.g. on my DL165G7 the onboard HP controller is used by ESXI to access a Kingston 240GB ssd. All standard until here...
    One of the PCie slots is used for an SAS 2008 controller (crossflashed IBM M1015). Now I configured a new VM for OMV with 4 CPUs and 8GB RAM and assigned the SAS 2008 controller to the VM. That's all that needs to be done...
    From inside the VM you will see SDA as "Virtual Disk" and all other disks as physical disks including SMART attributes and without any difference to a physical machine. I'm even running an storage works D2700 enclosure as part of the mix and I have full control about all LEDs, all sensors, positions of disks in bays and so on. Took me an hour reading through the SES-2 wiki and putting together a few lines of python code.

I have added some details about the configuration... This is one out of two instances - both run well and one will shortly reach 1 PB data that has been moved without troubles :)
    The reason why I throw so many CPUs and RAM into the pot is that I'm running an 10Gbe backend and some tuning to speedup the end to end chain.... E.g. I see up to 1200 MB/s within VMs accessing storage from OMV which allows to boot a Windows 10 VM in less than 5 seconds. I run pretty much everything virtual - including gaming and GPU number crunchers...

• I currently have my NAS on a Dell optiplex but I have to ditch that. My requirements are that I have 41TB of HDD as follows: 10 internal drives formatted ext4 made up as follows: 2 x 4TB and 8 x 3TB = 28TB. Then I have 5 WD Passport external drives of 2TB each = 10TB and 1 WD Passport x 3TB which gives me a total of 41TB. I was planning on buying a Gen 8 server and configuring it as follows: System disk - 2.5" 1TB drive (using cd drive), 4 internal drives 2 x 4 TB + 2 x 3TB = 14TB. I also have 2 JBOD which I wanted to insert 3 x 3TB into each (9TB x 2 = 18TB). This takes care of all the 10 internal HDD. The WD are external drives that I can only connect via USB 2 or 3 so I have to connect them via a DLink USB hub powered.
    HP have already said the Gen 8 can't handle this much disks.
    My question is is there any hardware mod I can do to make it? I can't afford the Gen 9 and even if I can, I can't justify the cost.
    Any guidance will be welcome bcos as now, I have no idea how to move forward.

I have donated. have you?
    OMV 2.2 running on HP Gen 8 G1610T server, 16GB RAM + Xeon E3-1220

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von seanbw ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Put an esata card (port multiplier capable) in it and buy a multi-drive esata enclosure. I ran one for years that used two esata ports and was an eight bay external enclosure. You could take the drives out of the usb enclosures then possibly eliminating the usb issues.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!