Desktop environment with OMV.

• I was reading up on installing OMV on a mobo with uefi. I read that installing debian then OMV might be required
    When buying parts for my upgrade the build became much more powerful then I planned.

Coming from a dual core pentium e2180 with 4gb ram, 3 4tb red in software RAID5. I've picked up a asrock z97 extreme6, 8gb ram, i7 4790, 60gb m.2 ssd.

Now while I'm waiting for the parts to get here I'm having trouble with the thoughts of letting this box sit there and just run Plex and transfer files. I was thinking I would want a desktop environment so I can use the power and rip Blu-ray, potentially allowing me to ditch my laptop for a tablet, amongst other stuff. But most of the time it will just sit there running plex.

My question is what is the best way of going about this? Install OMV then run another OS in VM?

Install debian w/cinnamon then add on OMV? If I go that route what controls my samba shares, software raid, ect? If I set up my RAID, shares, plex in OMV on top of debian, when I'm on the desktop will it be like I'm just on a computer on the network? Will I be able to interact with the RAID file system?

Thanks guys

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think the bigger issue, is you just way way overbuilt. Regarding the UEFI, you'll only need to install the command line OS... not the whole deskto[p. I'm personally against running a NAS and Home PC together. I know a lot of folks use their NAS as an htpc, but it makes little sense to me. If it were me, I'd keep the RAM, the SSD, then I'd send the rest back and get something that will meet your needs rather than being 100% overkill. I might keep the motherboard, but personally, I'd probably send that back as well. Problem solved.

• I think the bigger issue, is you just way way overbuilt. Regarding the UEFI, you'll only need to install the command line OS... not the whole deskto[p. I'm personally against running a NAS and Home PC together. I know a lot of folks use their NAS as an htpc, but it makes little sense to me. If it were me, I'd keep the RAM, the SSD, then I'd send the rest back and get something that will meet your needs rather than being 100% overkill. I might keep the motherboard, but personally, I'd probably send that back as well. Problem solved.

I was shooting or a quad core I5 when I started my build to handle the transcoding that plex will be doing now that .265 HEVC is becoming more popular but isn't supported on most players yet. I picked up the I7 for less then a 4690k. The motherboard is supposed to be linux friendly has 10 sata ports as well as 2 lan ports to play around with. I know its overkill but it should last me quite some time

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was shooting or a quad core I5 when I started my build to handle the transcoding that plex will be doing now that .265 HEVC is becoming more popular but isn't supported on most players yet. I picked up the I7 for less then a 4690k. The motherboard is supposed to be linux friendly has 10 sata ports as well as 2 lan ports to play around with. I know its overkill but it should last me quite some time

Well, if you're trying to future proof, no matter what it is, you're going to spend more... that's just a necessary evil....

Tekk.. as for being thrifty (aka, cheap)...lol. I am cheap, I admit it.. but I just hate overspending.

• Have we not had our Windows conversations..???? LOL :)

For desktop I am a Windows man. Very happy Win 10 is out soon. I grew up on that shit and it's in my blood.

BTW- there is nothing wrong with being cheap.

I was dying when Balmer was running Microsoft. So glad that jackass is gone.

• Yeah, but if you really want raid with a desktop I'd use Hardware. I'm not talking motherboard either. I'd get a good controller. If you look at the previews of Windows 10 it looks awesome IMO.

If you want to do software RAID do it on OMV. But always make sure you can make a backup even if you are using RAID of any kind.

• Yeah, but if you really want raid with a desktop I'd use Hardware. I'm not talking motherboard either. I'd get a good controller. If you look at the previews of Windows 10 it looks awesome IMO.

I feel like your on the wrong forums. Lol 10 does look good. 8 was an improvement over 7... It was just hard telling people that when they had to learn a whole new interface. 10 should be sweet..

I know hardware is better just don't want to put down the coin for a raid card. I could do raid for my media and backups (what my Nas does now) and then throw in a TB drive for other random storage.. Could work... I guess. Hmm

• I'm Windows all the way for Desktop. I've run various Windows Servers too. Was disappointed. I did not feel I was getting the value out of those machines for what I'd put into them, I felt ripped off. That is why I use Linux for some time now for Servers.

• I'm going to just install Omv straight up and call it good. What if any prep do I need to do to make sure my software raid gets set back up properly? I'm backing it all up to external drives as we speak so it isn't a huge deal. Just would like it to go as smoothly as possible

• I have used software raid and hardware cards. I really would prefer to use hardware
    solutions for RAID whenever possible due to robust and reliable solution, but I also
    like to think about what is really needed for specific situation. When designing a
    server we need to look first at present and future projection of needs.

For my home server (and most enterprise situations as well), the highest
    values are reliability (just keep chugging along without a problem) and
    ease of recovery (how fast can I get back to working, however you define that,
    after a problem). This means seeing ahead to possible problems, and solutions.

Windows and Linux both offer good value to satisfy the requirements of me and
    my clients. Both involve serious learning curves! I like trying to do things
    myself with the base OS but also welcome experimenting with distros that
    put together the needed building blocks, like OMV, NAS4Free, Rockstor, etc.

Try, learn, and implement! Boo-ya!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!