Noob installation on Gen 8 Microserver

• Hi Folks,

I'm a Linux Noob looking for a few pointers and if I have this in the wrong section please say and I'll move it. So a bit of background. I'm setting up a server for a mate, specifically the hardware is a HP Gen 8 Microserver, I have 2 WD Red 6TB Drives installed and have used an old Crucial M4 64Gb SSD on the 5th Sata port for OS Drive. I previously set my own Gen 7 up on WHS2011 which has been running for a few years as a file server and plex server. Mate wanted something similar and I I figured I'd use it for a learning curve before I upgrade myself. WHS2011 is no longer available so I've been looking at linux systems and settled on OMV as it allowed a seperate OS drive, appears to have a plex plug in and a nice simple Web based interface.

So I have have got the server set up in Sata Legacy mode, removed the 2 WD drives and installed OMV using the installer from a flash drive, all has gone well and I reinstalled the WD Drives and am at present setting up a Mirror Raid 1 with them. I was planning on following this guide, http://en.jose-crispim.pt/arti…rt/06_openmediavault.html . Then installing a plex plug in once all set up and folders organised. Basically I just want to know

1)if there is anything I need to do specifically to set up trim or manage the SSD properly? Ive read lots of pages from various dates, it seems the kernal I have 3.2.0-4 amd64 should support the ssd and trim, the drive is reporting correctly as ssd. But some posts mention organising swaps and reducing writes, setting trim etc and If I'm honest I've got confused and lost.
    2) is there anything else I need to watch for in general, I want it to be a simple and stable system. It has to allow file storage and swap of photos and movies and music with a Windows 8.1/10 desktop and to run plex so it can stream to other devices.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks for reading.

• The 5th SATA port needs to be booted later on as well after you connect the 2x6TB:
    http://jarrodla.blogspot.hu/20…8-boot-from-5th-sata.html

in grub.cfg on the USB drive the
    set root='(hd0,msdos1)' ... has to be changed to hd1 at normal mode and for recovery as well
    after that it will boot from the SSD drive on the ODD "cable"...

And here is a plugin for SSD drives:
    [Tutorial][Experimental][Third-party Plugin available]Reducing OMV's disk writes, also to install it on USB flash
    which I didn't tried until now, but you can read the comments there

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!