[HE CAME BACK]Leaving OMV... and really sad

• here is a few pictures of my XBMC media player

- Biostar Motherboard w/ onboard AMD Fusion E350 CPU
    - 4Gb Ram (i had they laying around at home) - 2Gb is more than enough
    - 120Gb SSD 3.5 Vertex 2 (had a spare one laying around as well) - Buy a cheap used 40gb
    - Simple 40 USD Case with 100W PSU included

All those mini-ITX board have HDMI out.. there is NO need for a VGA card. use that somewhere else.
    Just install OPENELEC

btw, My OMV runs on a HP Microserver G2020T gen8, no video out, no nothing.. If i need to do anything - SSH or ILO into it.

Control everything frou your couch using a iPAD / iPhone APP.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why spend all that money for something that may not be any better than RPi2 running OpenELEC?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Why spend all that money for something that may not be any better than RPi2 running OpenELEC?

I agree, a RPI2 does the trick, but since I had the RAM & SSD laying around in the house i decided to put them into use...
    I just bought that motherboard for 60 USD + 25 SUD for the case.

Easy win.

• On the subject of sad, you know what made me sad? Taking my RPi 2 to the office to use as boot device for my Servers and PC, and for using OpenVPN. I wish I had it at home to do more testing as a front end device on my TV. I'm going to buy another ARM device. Don't know what one yet.

• I have a couple odroid-c1 one running lubuntu(bedroom 32" 720) and the other openelec(tv-room 55" 1080) and kodi runs very well. Some stuff wont play properly on openelec but plays fine on ubuntu as its v.15 instead of 14. Hopefully once openelec updates to 6.0 that will solve that problem.

I would think the propietary nvidia drivers would work for your system. Might need to blacklist or issue a kernel parm at startup though (nomodeset?).

• Some stuff wont play properly on openelec but plays fine on ubuntu as its v.15 instead of 14.

May I ask which stuff that is? (Codec etc.?)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi David, some videos play audio at the wrong speed, higher than it should be. The video is fine. I searched both openelec and kodi forums and couldnt find anyone having a similar problem. Thats on kodi 14.x(openelec) but the same problem vids play fine on kodi 15 on lubuntu. Its something on the openelec odroid-c1 build. I know the files are ok as they play fine on my mint desktop.

• Don't use OE on the C1, did you report that over at their forums?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hi everyone ! I’m back again with some news. I wanted to take my time to write on this post when I’ve made some tests. So, I’m finally on Ubuntu 14.04 right now. I tried to install and configure all the services that I used on OMV and it works pretty well:
    - No video problem because the graphic card drivers are OK. So XMBC is working great.
    - Using Webmin to manage my server as OMV I installed and configured:
    * Samba, FTP Server, SSH server
    * OpenVPN AS server
    * Rsync à with mail sending too! à That was the hardest point for me…I had to find where logs were, install mailutils and send a mail with the content of the log file :)
    - Plexmediaserver
    - X11VNCserver

My system is stable right now and the resources consumption is pretty the same as on Debian. Everything is easier to install with Ubuntu than debian because most of the software is native on Ubuntu (plex or xbmc) but sometimes I miss the simplicity of OMV…. Thanks for all your comments! Bye!

• Hi subzero79! Thank you for your answer, I'm checking the forum every 5 minutes to see if everyone answers...
    I have a raspi too, but it's not powerful enough to support well XBMC with all the plugins and to be as quick as I want. Plus, I don't want to have multiple devices consuming power at home…I want to optimize my bill.

Why don’t use NAS and media center on the same equipment if everything is well configured and protected?

I tried NVIDIA proprietary drivers of course…and didn’t worked well. Not as well as with Ubuntu… L I’m thinking right now that Ubuntu + webmin could be ok for my NAS but still…not as great as Openmediavault. Would you consider Windows server?

I was in the same situation, had the N36L Microserver before, which worked pretty well as a "NAS"+HTPC (running Openelec with SMB and rTorrent), using a dedicated HD6450. After moving to the Gen8 Microserver (and OMV), I realized it won't work on the long term, because using a PCIE card in the Gen8 doubles the fan speed which will be really annoying, and it takes almost 2 minutes for the server to boot up because of the iLO self-checks (if you use it 7/24 it's not a problem, but I use it on demand). Now I have my Gen8 running only OMV, and have a separate HTPC (Bay Trail platform running Openelec for performance and ports like Optical out, but RPi2 is a great choice as well).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I went the FireTV route, and have been pretty happy with it.... other than I've lost the damn remote :)

• I love my Fire TV... These effing chinese hackers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been banning and deleting all morning. Message sent to Volker, just a pm.

Someone e-mail him plz!!!

PS- I hated my FireTV when I first got it. There were no apps... But man it has improved. It sat collecting dust for a while.

• Someone e-mail him plz!!!

Already done so.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

"My system is stable right now and the resources consumption is pretty the same as on Debian. Everything is easier to install with Ubuntu than debian because most of the software is native on Ubuntu (plex or xbmc) but sometimes I miss the simplicity of OMV…. Thanks for all your comments! Bye!"

This comment makes little sense to me.. Everything is easier to install with Ubuntu vs Debian, but he misses the simplicity of OMV? I'm assuming he means the OMV web interface vs webmin? How often are you really installing software on your NAS, that you'd sacrifice this, for a few headaches during initial setup? Honestly, there's plenty of instructions out there for what he wanted to do, this really should not have been that difficult.

Best of luck to him, but his reasoning makes zero sense to me

• It made me laugh. He is doing what people did before ARM devices were powerful enough. I don't like Debian and I've voiced it several times. But OMV is that awesome that I'm on Debian. But Ubuntu is the crap I hate the most. Bloated with all kinds of junk and that Unity is garbage. I love yum package management way better and rpms. I hate with apt you have the added -get, or -cache, or whatever. I really like having newer packages and kernels too. I feel like I'm in the stone ages on Debian. Also feel that security is not as good as Fedora. I like to build a system up with what I need and want. Not have it full of all kinds of junk I don't want or will never use.

Oh, let me not forget to mention my hatred for the Debian control file.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I ran my email server on CentOS for seven years. Packages on CentOS/RHEL aren't any newer than Debian. Fedora was never meant to a server. It is just Redhat's testing grounds. So, while RHEL may have a bit better security being a commercial product, I don't believe Fedora is better than Debian.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• It is and you know it. If you run SELINUX you can tie it down a hell of a lot more and they have a lot of booleans you can use. I feel a lot better running that then Debian. Most ppl are stupid and just turn it off.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ummm, no... You can use SELINUX on Debian too. It is compiled in the kernel but just disabled by default. If you system is behind a router with just the appropriate ports open, SELINUX means almost zero.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!