[HE CAME BACK]Leaving OMV... and really sad

• Hi everyone,

After 6 or 7 Debian wheezy clean installations, I'm not able to fix this driver issue with my Nvidia GEFORCE GT 720.
    I really need to use graphical interface with debian using XBMC because I use my NAS as media center too.
    The thing is that I have some strange pixels and weird lines during movies....

This doesn't happens on Ubuntu 14 with the same driver!
    I've tried the two kernels available on OMV too...(with extras plugin).

I tried to install "Nouveau" graphic driver too but it didn't work.

The problem is that OMV does not work on ubuntu, so I think for the NAS part I will have to manage it with wemin...

I will do the migration today. If you have any other idea, I'm listening....because I really love OMV.

There is another possibility: windows...ok for drivers...but it's really my last option....

Thanks !

• I haven't fiddle around graphics cards for a while, I wouldn't consider my nas to be my htpc, having choices like rpi or firetv. Have you try the proprietary drivers from nvidia? At least that's what I remember from back in the early days of Ubuntu to make things work.

Hi subzero79! Thank you for your answer, I'm checking the forum every 5 minutes to see if everyone answers...
    I have a raspi too, but it's not powerful enough to support well XBMC with all the plugins and to be as quick as I want. Plus, I don't want to have multiple devices consuming power at home…I want to optimize my bill.

Why don’t use NAS and media center on the same equipment if everything is well configured and protected?

I tried NVIDIA proprietary drivers of course…and didn’t worked well. Not as well as with Ubuntu… L I’m thinking right now that Ubuntu + webmin could be ok for my NAS but still…not as great as Openmediavault. Would you consider Windows server?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have an RPi2? I guarantee an RPi2 uses less energy than that GT 720 especially when watching video. The RPi2 is much faster than an RPi1 (a/b/b+).

A NAS should be a headless box put in a cool area so it can do its thing. A media center is supposed to by the TV. Kind of opposites and just causes issues when combining.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Why don’t use NAS and media center on the same equipment if everything is well configured and protected?

Power consumption of the dedicated GPU in your HTPC versus the power consumption of IGPs.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi No, I don't have the rpi2 but the rpi1.
    The thing is that I bought my HP Proliant G8 G1610T because I knew that I could bought a graphic card to plug in it.It's a Low profile card with passive cooling so no fan and not extra power consumption.

I know that people don't use to use their NAS as media center but technically there is no problem to do it and if well configured it's a good way to mutualize equipements at home.

based all my infrastructure on this… I mean…I wanted to do this on the same equipment, if not, I would have bought a sinology with less power consumption and less noise and less slots (just need two HDD) for home you know? But with a graphic card I could replace my rpi1 + have a new NAS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The G8 is a nice server. I don't think you went wrong there. Plus, you can use OMV :) Even though it can take a video card, it really wasn't designed to be a media center either.

The GT720 is a 19 watt card. The most my RPi has ever used is 3 or 4 watts :) Plus, an RPi2 probably costs less than the video card. I think it would be fast enough for what you want. OpenELEC on RPi2 has been flawless for me.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I'm really enjoying this thread!
    I feel so geek when I speak about this with my friends..lol

Thanks ryecoaaron, so you think that in any case I did well choosing the HP server against the synology? Even if the consumption is bigger and noise?

you're right, I have paid my graphic card 53€ and I bought it for this!
    So do you thik that I shoud sell my graphic card and bought a raspi2 instead because the power consumtpion of the server + graphic is bigger than server + raspi2 ?

I've always preferred to have only one device against two...
    I know that if I bought raspi2 I will want to install transmission server on it instead on the server to not power on the server, so that means that I would nead to have an HDD connected to my raspi2.
    After that I will start to think...why don't have 2 HDD on the Raspi and use rsync to backup it with samba and FTP server + VPN server?

So I will finally think...why have a server if I can have a NAS + media center on raspi2 ? LOL

You understand?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think the HP is a better choice than the cheap Synology. The RPi2 is more powerful than the synology. Pluse, those small two drive units don't keep the drives very cool. Maybe you should sell the server and buy 2 RPi2s. Run OMV on one and OpenELEC on the other. You don't want to try and do both on one RPi2.

• I think the server plus an RPi2 (odroid c-1 would be good too) or the server plus a FireTV is the way to go.

I would return or sell the graphics card.

PS- The Odroid C-1 has a built in Real Time Clock. All you have to do is buy a battery accessory and plug it in. It would save you headaches.

• odroid c-1 would be good too

The C1 lacks proper HDMI-CEC though :( Maybe they fixed this in a later revision, but last time I checked it wasn't.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thank you guys for all your answers.
    I made a backup with clonezilla of my system and I'm trying ubuntu.
    I didn't tell you but I have a chromecast too pluged in my tv. The problem is that without XBMC and the great "genesis" plugin it's not ok for me...

I think I will keep the server, I love the idea to have my HDD in a good cold place, well powered and protected from the dust, etc....

Concerning de rpi2 I agree, it's a good choice, but I dont know why, I prefer one only device to do everything :P

Testing ubuntu right now...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I dont know why, I prefer one only device to do everything :P

For me, that is kind of like having your plumber and dentist be the same persion :D

• buy a mini-itx motherboard, (j1800) add 2 gig RAM, and a cheap used 40gb SSD for the OS and install OpenELEC.
    A cheap mini itx case will cost you around 25 usd.

that will become your "media player"

it has the same size as a Sky / Cable decoder and it does ONLY that - plus you can control via an iphone remote XBMC app.
    and leave your OMV server somewhere else.

moving away from OMV because of xbmc is, IMO, an error.

• Do you mean to use the graphic card that I already have?
    in fact, that's not a bad Idea.
    The J800 is about 60€, can I plug in my nvidia GT 720 low profile? more power consumer too?
    The ram is an additional cost
    The case too.

Let's say 100€ for all of it. It's even more expensive than rpi2.

The I will have two devices consuming power at home...I will pay the bill for that. Why nobody undestands me? :P

• Offizieller Beitrag

I understand perfectly about what uses less power. Watching video on G8 with your gt 720 will use quite a bit more power than an RPi2 watching movies from your G8 with no gt 720.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!