My Problem with most plugins

• Hi All.
    I have a few questions re plugins for OVM. More specifically SickRage/CouchPotato/Plex.
    Where are these plugins installed on the system ? There are a few plugins that require a share (Plex) for the database.
    Is there a way to change that. The Reason is my NAS has a 512GB SSD (boot disk where OMV is installed). I would like to utilise this for programs/services. Un-raring etc.. I only want the actual DATA to live on my other arrays . The final destination of the data.

This means loading thumbnails etc from plex would be a lot faster and the array will not have to spin up just to read 1 kb thumbnails.
    Have I got this completely wrong ?
    Could I Make a Share on my local SSD (by editing the SMB.conf) ?

What is everyone else doing ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

In general most plugins like you mentioned are installed in /opt, that's the binaries. Mainly because are installed through a git pull.
    That location is going to change in the future to /var/lib/opt if I recall from what @jhmiller told me. Is the debian way

active data of some of those plugins (db, settings, thumbnails, etc) goes to their home folder under the daemon username (usually the same name, ie: /home/sickbeard).

Plex uses the user plex home folder for is DB. So if you want to change it you need to go to change that in /etc/passwd

• You do not have to select a volume when you enable it. The the plexmediaserver folder with the database will stay in it's original home location at /var/lib on the system drive.

The plugin for plex already does what he wants. You need to purge the plugin and reinstall it to get the database back on the system drive.

• Also, I found it VERY helpful to have my plex library on a seperate volume. This way if you have to reformat your system drive when you reinstall OMV and the plex plugin all your library and settings will be the same.

If you save your plex library to your system drive and you have to reformat you lose everything and have to start from scratch.

• If you guys make sure you backup your plex database, the plexmediaserver folder, I can explain how to get it working again on a new install/different machine/new drive or whatever. It is not that hard. I've helped more than a few people move it to a new drive. It would be nice if the plugin was altered so you could move the database to any drive including the system drive. It would not be that hard to make the plugin so it could allow movement of the database back to the OS drive again.

• If you guys make sure you backup your plex database, the plexmediaserver folder, I can explain how to get it working again on a new install/different machine/new drive or whatever. It is not that hard. I've helped more than a few people move it to a new drive. It would be nice if the plugin was altered so you could move the database to any drive including the system drive. It would not be that hard to make the plugin so it could allow movement of the database back to the OS drive again.

I'd really love a simplistic walk through on this. I just recently had to rebuild my raid as I was going from a 2 drive Raid 1 to a 4 drive Raid 6 (4x 6TB WD red)

Before doing so, I shut down Plex and backed everything up twice, once to an internal 3TB Raid I have as a spare and again to an external 4TB drive. I transferred my data back onto the main raid (Raid 6 4x6TB) including all of my media/music/movies and such. I then copied the /plexmediaserver folder back to that raid array as well. I might have made a mistake though doing this before telling plex where all the new drives were and I'm ok with removing and reinstalling plex, since I still have the backup of the/plexmediaserver folder in tact. But even still I copied it back and medata data/plugins still aren't showing. However when I first launched Plex, by god it had my logon info there, but not my preferences? So some of the data is being recognized, not all.

I don't know if this makes any difference either, but when I had this set up it was on OMV 3.0.67. I reinstalled the OS and ran updates and now it's on 3.0.68 and now all the drive mappings changed, they are now showing as /by disk-id, /by disk-label, etc. Not by UUID? Why was this done and will this affect Plex finding all the old info? I have about 2.5 TB of Media and I had a lot of custom plugins set up for scanning Anime shows since Plex by default can't find a lot of that stuff. Help!

OMV 3.0.76

Asus Z97, Intel i7-4770
    16gb Ram
    Corsair 550w PSU
    Fractal Design Mini Black MATX Case (5 Fans)
    4x WD 6TB Red (Raid 6) Main Storage
    2x WL 3TB (Raid 1) Secondary Storage / Future Cloud
    30gb SSD (OS)
    Plex Media Server Lifetime Pass member
    Linux n00b

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!