A RAID-less plan?

• I think a good backup is most important for data you don't want to lose. I think redundancy is more about availability and getting back to a working state faster. With RAID 5 you lose a drive. The data is still on the other drives so it is just a matter of putting in new disk and rebuilding the RAID.

Some of you might be interested in this:

How to share your data across Drives with symlinks and no pooling.

Part of it comes to level of convenience and likely failures.
    Given that (in my case) this is all replaceable media, backup isn't necessary. My blurays and the Internet are the backup.

The most common problem at this point is single drive failure, and raid will handle that.

So raid 5 will let you survive a single failure without requiring huge amounts of space for backup, only sacrificing a single drive of space. The work to replace the lost drive is also less than if I used jbod and had to rerip or redownload the contents.

• The most common problem at this point is single drive failure, and raid will handle that.

So raid 5 will let you survive a single failure without requiring huge amounts of space for backup, only sacrificing a single drive of space. The work to replace the lost drive is also less than if I used jbod and had to rerip or redownload the contents.

This is pretty much what I said.

• Fair enough, I misinterpreted what you said as RAID is only useful to make sure that you have availability.

To be honest, I'm still debating even just going pure JBOD for the media storage. Yeah it would be a pain in the ass to retrieve the lost media, but is it worth giving up 4TB of space (in my case).

Do most JBOD setups fill linearly (fill disk1, then 2, etc) or do they distribute evenly?

• I think a good backup is most important for data you don't want to lose. I think redundancy is more about availability and getting back to a working state faster. With RAID 5 you lose a drive. The data is still on the other drives so it is just a matter of putting in new disk and rebuilding the RAID.

Some of you might be interested in this:

How to share your data across Drives with symlinks and no pooling.

I totaly agree. RAID is for RTO, i.e getting back to an operational state faster. It SHOULD be complemented with a backup. I just had a disk failure in a RAID-10 array, and replacing the disk was a nobrainer. If I had to go back to my backups(copying data of older ReadyNAS array, DVD/BR/CD ripping) I would be spending days if not weeks recovering everything. And ripping disks are not that fun........

• I hope my questions will not be seen as hi-jacking the thread and if so let me know and I will start-up another one.

Zitat

I use a pay service, CrashPlan. There is a backup set for each individual data drive on Server 1. One of the drives on Server 1 has a backup shared folder where I backup all my machines in my LAN. For my windows machines I use Acronis.

@tekkb - I'm interested in learning more about your set-up since I'd like to do something similar. Do you no longer use crashplan for windows as you described here: **CrashPlan: Using it to backup client machines**
    BTW: That's a nice write-up!

Here's my scenario & questions:
    OMV stores main files but there are also a few windows clients that maintain own files.

1. Frequently used documents, etc. folders on OMV backed-up to different drive on same server or 2nd backup server? Preferred method: Crashplan or rsnapshot?

2. Windows clients backup documents, pictures, etc. to OMV Server1 (main) in a shared backup folder. Is preferred method crashplan, acronis or?
    3. Windows system backup to OMV server 1. Prefered method?
    4. OMV Server to External USB Drives - perhaps once a day: Preferred method: USBbackup? Crashplan?
    5. Long-term: get another OMV nas for pure backup service. The Odroid boards mentioned in other threads looks interesting.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!