Hint: "locate" files you're looking for

• Hi!

If you're running a NAS, you got several files. And what if... you're looking for a document that's called "Juli.doc" and you don't know, where it is located? Search with windows-search and wait some hours? :rolleyes:

Login as root to your command-line and type apt-get install mlocate. After that, you've to modify the config-file pico /etc/updatedb.conf. Locate in that file the line PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media and delete "/media" from that line. Save the changes with "STRG+O" followed by "Enter".

Now it's time to update the database: updatedb - this could take a time. In future the database is updated automatically once a day. So you don't have to run this command every day.

Locating your files:
    locate -i juli.doc
    Use the "-i" for ignoring upper- or lower-case. You will be shown the results as a list.

BTW: Wouldn't a search be a good idea for a plugin?

If you like something like that for your PC, you'll find some solutions. Easiest way is to look into the index of the file-systems (NTFS, FAT32 etc.). Programms like FindOnClick are doing so. But they don't work on network-shares.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess I thought it was good idea. openmediavault-locate 1.0 is in the testing repo :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have two issues with that:
    1 - we already have a clamav plugin
    2 - I'm not a fan of plugins made for closed source programs

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

mlocate is much faster because it is using that database. I have always use find myself but I like how simple mlocate is. I suppose at some point I could add a settings page to pick which one to use and add an update button to manually update the db.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!