An Home/Office NAS

• AMD does not have a good record for low power consumption and there is no data on newer offerings

http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware…srock_qc_5000-itx/s06.php

under the heading "Leistungsaufnahme"= power consumption you can find the value for the ASRock QC5000-ITX/WiFi, it is fully equipped MB based on the A4-5000.
    It requires 17 W in idle.

Probably with a basic model as the ASRock QC5000-ITX/PH, without an graphic usage and wifi card could be possible to reach a good value.

What do you think about it? I'm pondering to purchase it. I'm not experienced with it, so...would you support me with the test/reviewing of that MoBo?

• Where exactly are you stuck? What are you thoughts?

After this long, preliminary discussion about AMD APU / A4 5000 /idle consumption I have to finish to design this NAS and check for compatibility.

SoC MoBo: ASRock QC5000-ITX/PH (90-MXGXB0-A0UAYZ)
    Controllers check:

-Realtek RTL8111E (1x Gb LAN) = seems to be compatible. I didn't find any recent issue.

• Those are the driver: Click
    • Someone had some issues with this controller not well identified after the update of OMV: Click

-ASM1061 (2xSATA III) = seems to be compatible. I didn't find any recent issue.

Realtek ALC892 (audio) = irrelevant

AMD Radeon HD 8330 (graphic) = no issues found with debian

EJ188H (USB controller)= ??

RAM:
    Also in the case I will decide to don't use this NAS for “home” use, it could be nice to keep the machine capable of transcoding for the office, Movie are not just for entertainment. Considering the environment, 5 users, working on CAD files, 3d/render files and one or two 1080/720p parallel transcoding, or other media use as opening of extra large pictures, how many GBs of RAM would be recommended ?

Case:http://www.bitfenix.com/global…sis/phenom-mini-itx#specsBitFenix Phenom it is a little bigger than the Fractal design Node 304 but it allows to assemble a 200/230mm fan, i hate small, high rpm, noisy fans.

PSU: some suggestion?

System disk= is there any issues to install the system on a USB stick? should I look for somethink in particoular? to prevent an accidental removal could be fine to plug the usb stick in an internal usb hub/converter like this?

Storage: Seagate NAS HDD 2TB x3 RAID 5 or WD Red? I dont need a huge ammount of storage and that Seagate has a good prise per TB

all 4 drives into a single array and going RAID6 is a better choice than going RAID5

How can in my case be convenient to increse the fault tolerance up to two failed drives (RAID6)? €/TB in my case is important. RAID 5 is enought, is not a remote machine and i can get a new HDD in less then 12 hours. Is not RAID 5 enought? ad more... is not dangerous to backup the version on the same array? if i loose the array i lose the backup too... ?(
    Is not enoght to versioning just the important WIPs on an less expensive 1TB WD green, which I have yet?

• Mh, not bad. They finally got that under control.

EJ188H (USB controller)= ??

Supported.

Zitat

Also in the case I will decide to don't use this NAS for “home” use, it could be nice to keep the machine capable of transcoding for the office, Movie are not just for entertainment. Considering the environment, 5 users, working on CAD files, 3d/render files and one or two 1080/720p parallel transcoding, or other media use as opening of extra large pictures,how many GBs of RAM would be recommended ?

The NAS does exactly 0% processing in images, CAD or rendering because it is just sending files through network. For it there is no difference between an image or a 3D file. It's all MB to be read and sent through the ethernet port. NAS life is boring. :)
    I'd say 4 GB ram will be enough.

Zitat

PSU: some suggestion?

Seasonic S12II-430, I doubt it will need more than 200 watts, but that's as low as I can get without going into the "cheap but total crap" segment of the PSU market, where even if it is genuine Seasonic it is not Seasonic quality.

If you see a PSU you like, check reviews, it should do well in all tests, overloads, voltages and ripple tests.

Zitat

System disk= is there any issues to install the system on a USB stick? should I look for somethink in particoular? to prevent an accidental removal could be fine to plug the usb stick in an internal usb hub/converter like this?

At the moment it's not a very good idea.
    From OMV version 2.0 (currently in testing) you just need to disable some logging options from settings (settings not available in OMV 1.0), and you can safely install on USB drive (decent brand USB drive).
    Also yes, internal mount is strongly recommended, the world is full of curious people that love to pull usb drives....
    That thing you found is good and simple. Minor correction: it is a USB port with a header connector, it's not a hub/converter.

Zitat

Storage: Seagate NAS HDD 2TB x3 RAID 5 or WD Red? I dont need a huge ammount of storage and that Seagate has a good prise per TB

can you post the model number here?
    Shouldn't matter much, but there are a few models that are on the "don't buy list".

Zitat

How can in my case be convenient to increse the fault tolerance up to two failed drives (RAID6)? €/TB in my case is important.

As long as you have external backups that's fine.

Zitat

ad more... is not dangerous to backup the version on the same array? if i loose the array i lose the backup too..

Versioning is NOT backup. It only prevents accidental deletion from user error.

Zitat

Is not enoght to versioning just the important WIPs on an less expensive 1TB WD green, which I have yet?

important data should be backupped into an external drive (you have USB3.0, no problem).
    Then you should pull the USB cable to physically disconnect the drive (and disconnect also the drive's auxiliary power if any).
    In this case, even if there is a catastrophic power failure and the NAS dies (thunderstorms, crappy power lines, PSU suffers a meltdown for unknown reasons) the data in the external drive is safe.
    It is also convenient in "take the data and run" disaster scenarios. Otherwise you would have to be running around with your NAS.

OMV has another plugin that detects drives and automates these tasks, it is called "Usb Backup". You just need to connect the USB, let it run, disconnect the USB after it has stopped writing (if you have a USB enclosure with write activity leds it is easy to see this).

If your WD green is a big internal drive, just buy a USB 3.0 external enclosure for 3.5'' HDDs for it (20-30 euro tops) and you are fine.

• S12II-430

Thanks for the good advice, but... any PSU operating at 230v has a lower efficiency at low load in comparison with the same model operating at 110v. ergo to have good efficiency with a PSU operating at 230v the maximal power should fit the maximal load. That's why I decided to search a PSU with a lower maximum power, a good efficiency, inexpensive and able to do well in overloads, voltages and ripple tests PSU: Super Flower Golden Green HX 350W 45€

GB ram will be enough

RAM: G.Skill Value DIMM Kit 4GB, F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (DDR3-1600, CL9-9-9-24) cheapest supported memory

Seagate NAS HDD 2TB

HDD The model is: ST2000VN000

Versioning is NOT backup

You must be very patient. I used the term incorrectly, but I intended right.

At the moment it's not a very good idea.

I have a lot of work in front of me, this time I give up.

Maybe the complete configuration could be better like this:
    add a sata controller 2xSATA
    1x SSD for OS Kingston SSDNow S200 30GB
    4x HDD 2TB RAID 5
    1x WD green 1TB for versioning

Could it be suitable? any suggestion for the SATA controller?

• yeah, if you have a 110v wall socket for that. Good PSU though.

the hard drive isn't in black list afaik.

Zitat

You must be very patient.

no problem, Just making sure that the point was clear.

Zitat

I have a lot of work in front of me, this time I give up.

You can recycle an older usb hard drive you have around (or buy one new that you will turn into secondary backup after you update the NAS).
    An SSD is kinda pointless on a NAS, most of its system is loaded/cached into RAM anyway.
    Unless you care about boot-shutdown times anyway.

• It's time to buy....

This is the final configuration:

Case: BitFenix Phenom, mini ITX
    (BFC-PHE-300-KKXKK-RP)
    PSU: Super Flower Golden Green HX 350W ATX 2.3 (SF-350P14XE (HX)
    MoBo SoC: ASRock QC5000-ITX/PH (90-MXGXB0-A0UAYZ)
    RAM: G.Skill Value DIMM Kit 4GB, DDR3-1600, CL9-9-9-24 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ)
    OS drive: Kingston SSDNow S200 30GB, SATA 6Gb/s (SS200S3/30G)
    Storage: 3xSeagate NAS HDD 3TB, SATA 6Gb/s (ST3000VN000) RAID 5

About the drive for the OS, I opted in favour of the SSD because is cheap (30€) not more than a good USB stick, and it has more capacity, it's fast and it has static wear leveling and it's supposed to be full compatible with the current version of OPV.

• It is very nice to use a SSD. Very snappy gui and fast boot/shutdown times. I will never use a normal Hard Drive as a boot device. Just my 10 cents.

I usually take into consideration the use case of the device I'm assembling.
    A NAS is not going to be rebooted very often, and also the snappyness of the GUI isn't exactly another very important factor, it's something that will be seldom accessed.
    Also, even my Zyxel 325v2 has a snappy interface (personal opinion) if the OS is in a Sata drive or on a fast microSD card (on a fast microsd reader). MUCH snappier than its own firmware.

Btw, that thing about the GUI snappyness should be made moot by moving the bulk of the static webserver files to RAM on boot.
    Running the whole OMV from a ram-only squashfs + a JFFS partition for settings and minor updates like 99.99% of embedded systems would be pretty cool. But I'm getting carried away... :whistling:

In general, I'm not against cheap SSDs (that got orders of magnitude cheaper than most DOMs I'm finding), I'm against wasting a Sata connector for the OS drive.
    That SSD can be put in an "external" USB enclosure with little performance impact (again assuming you don't run benches on the OS drive).

• On my mobos I typically have enough ports. Using RAM is nice but not as reliable. There is a noticeable difference using a SSD vs. a 5400/7200 drive. High quality SSDs have become inexpensive, especially when they are on sale. I got a couple Intel 530 somethings 120gb for about 50 bucks a piece. I've had really good experience with my Intels and Crucials. My current drives are 60gb, or 80gb. With wear leveling and given that I only use about 12 gigs max on the OS they are lasting a long time...... If it were not stable I would complain.

Being a mod, and developing some stuff, I really appreciate a little extra speed. I'm in/out/booting/shutting down/restarting way more than most people.

• I'm against wasting a Sata connector for the OS drive

You have al my respect and I agree with you totally. I was also looking for some DOM, possibly with a 9 pin USB connector. but as you know they are rare, expensive and they offer an indecent amount of storage. If you also hate to plug your OS on an external USB, than in comparison with an SSD they offer "only" to save a sata.

with a usb header ? maybe.....

Once upon a time in my apartment I had a crappy MoBo that messed up my mind. The computer was ready and... nothing! no boot, apparently no electricity, no reactions. The solution? the frontal USB of the case was not compatible with the MoBo, no no... the MoBo was not compatible with any usb header plugged on that 9 no sense pin.

So..... let's do this stuff easy, at the beginning. I will provide thousand problems myself, and considering my lack of experience/ theoretical and practical knowledge with OMV I prefer a simple machine without thousand adapters, only to learn without distractions ;) But I won't you to thing about me as a party pooper

• Using RAM is nice but not as reliable.

Embedded devices (say routers and smartphones) generally survive significant abuse, mostly because they live in a ramdisk that only seldom writes to their OS "drive" (nand flash or whatever).
    Also FreeNAS does that with the "embedded install", or at least did in the past, now there is no more choice but they strongly advise to use USB falshdrives so yeah, probably embedded again.
    Nas4free leaves that choice of installation afaik.

I'm assuming that doing a proper embedded system isn't a top priority for now.
    OMV needs to grow in areas where it matters more (like say features), and resources are limited.

After all, SSDs are cheap nowadays, so apart from people like me, everyone is fine anyway.

Zitat

Being a mod, and developing some stuff, I really appreciate a little extra speed. I'm in/out/booting/shutting down/restarting way more than most people.

Yep, same here. That's a different use case though.

Zitat von mat650

the MoBo was not compatible with any usb header plugged on that 9 no sense pin.

I'm suspecting the mobo or the case was HP/Dell/Lenovo/IBM/Acer/-InsertOEMnameHere-. Am I right?
    They love to make proprietary non-standard connectors for everything.
    Had to do some clever tricks to transplant motherboards from/to an OEM PC and get everything working.

If you buy boards and cases and stuff they usually match up because they do follow standards. That's the entire point of selling pieces and not a fully assembled machine.
    If you buy an OEM-assembled PC then they want you to not be able to fix it by yourself (and pay them to get "compatible parts").

Zitat

So..... let's do this stuff easy, at the beginning.

No problem with that. Just saying what the "optimal" is imho.

• I'm suspecting the mobo or the case was HP/Dell/Lenovo/IBM/Acer/-InsertOEMnameHere-. Am I right?

No no no... I never had an OEM computer except laptops. It was a firs revision AsRock MoBo... an horrible piece of Hardware, with many problems, thousands of BSoD. Firs generation of intel socket 2011 based on X79??? (I don't remember). Presented with some SATA III on an integrated controller who works also right now as SATA II because of poor software support....
    Not OEM MoBo with probably a lot of third parts very badly supported/integrated.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!