An Home/Office NAS

• Hi everyone, I'm a young architect with a big passion for hacking, and this is my firs time with NAS making and OMV.

The machine that I'm trying to define will be used as:

A. storage for personal data
    B. Pelex 1080p transcoder
    C. storage for first projects in collaboration with some friends (2 Workstations LAN 3 Laptops WLAN)
    D. Backup space of the workspace

I think to take care of this function
    with 4 HDD. n3 3TB WD red in software RAID5 for A.B.C.

and one HDD 4.TB for incremental backup
    for D.

The Philosophy is in order of priority approximately as below:

-Safety counts

-Very low TDP counts

-Silent is better than noisy

-5 parallel accesses count

-Plex transcoding counts

-Efficient is better than inefficient

-Cheap is better than expensive

-two 1080p transcoding capacity is better than one

-Longevity counts

-Simple is better than complex

-Extendibility doesn't count

I also decided to base it on an AMD processor, cheaper. Obviously the problem is now to figure out how powerful the machine should be and than the best hardware responding the list above.

The recommended configuration for PLex is at last a 2.4GHz Intel core duo.
    I have considered the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 as the one mentioned in the recommended configuration.

The Celeron G162T a current dual core solution by Intel for desktop.
    Than j1900 I read that is capable for 1x1080p transcoding an the Pentium J2900 is capable for 2x1080p transcoding.

Considering the results in the PassMark Performance test I deducted that the two AMD APU are also capable of 1080p transcoding.

PassMark Performance test:

Intel Core2 Duo E6600 No of Cores: 2 @ 2.40GHz result: 1556

Intel Celeron G1620T No of Cores: 2 @ 2.40GHz result: 2287

Intel Celeron J1900 No of Cores: 4 @ 1.99GHz result: 1885

Intel Pentium J2900 No of Cores: 4 @ 2.41GHz result: 2046

AMD Athlon 5150 APU No of Cores: 4 @ 1.60GHz result: 2057 TDP:25W

AMD A4-5000 APU No of Cores: 4 @ 1.5GHz result: 1904 TDP:15W

Considering also that the AMDs come with a Realtek Gb Lan and the Intels with an intel solution, How do you consider the cheaper AMD solutions?
    Is it reasonable, or not? Will they carry-out the above mentioned functions?
    Is there anybody, who has experienced them?

Thank you very much in advance.
    See you for the next step

• I make it short. Intel always seems to have less compatibility issues in Linux.
    I have one AMD machine and I'm not as happy with it due some minor issues. But they grate on me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Cheap board maybe?

N36L/N40L/N54L microservers are AMD and have been flawless for most. I have two other OMV boxes (old Compaq desktop with 4450e/nvidia ethernet and quad G34 supermicro board/intel NICs) that have no issues either.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Safety counts? I think, business is the thing, where safety counts. Separate business from personal data and definitely entertainment! Think about a useful backup-strategy. When you're an architect and you've designed a very neat timeless house like Gropius would have done, you're loosing hours of time, when you data is lost.
    RAID is not a backup!

• Sorry to say this, but avoid AMD if you want low power consumption.

TDP is irrelevant, that NAS will be sleeping 99% of the time so what counts is idle power usage.
    AMD sucks on idle. Both processors and boards suck.

Boards with soldered processors aren't optimal on idle (usually), as they are made fist and foremost to be cheap.

I generally assemble a cheap mobo with a cheap socketed Pentium. Also socket 1155 is nice. Cheaper because older, still good low power consumption on idle, pentiums still kick serious backside.

I think that joining all 4 drives into a single array and going RAID6 is a better choice than going RAID5 and keeping one drive alone.

Consider also cloud (cold) storage for long-term backups. Backblaze and Crashplan are very cheap and if your data is valuable (as work data usually is), then it will be totally worth it.

• Backblaze

Does backblaze offer a linux client yet?

@mat650 Read what Dennis said carefully. I would rather use two of the drives as a pool via AuFS and then Mirror them via rsync, rather than taking a chance of accidental deletion on a raid5/6.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Does backblaze offer a linux client yet?

No, and they probably never will (they are officially "focused on making the best online backup experience for Mac and Windows" since AD 2011 or so).
    But I doubt that the PCs he or his friends are using are running Linux, so that's still a valid option.

• RAID is not a backup!

You are fundamentally right, but maybe you are not considering a couple of things, as I have written:

• It Is just for the first projects at most competitions if we will win one than we will invest , ergo in a short time I hope to convert it in a home NAS.I am the Home user, as dangerous at work time as in relax ;)
    • Yes, backup and RAID are two different stuffs and they prevent different accidents. RAID 5 prevents failures or damages of the HDDs and the Backups prevent my stupidity ;) That's why just 3 of 4 HDDs are part of the array the 4th is independent and used for backup also of the important data contained in the HDDs under array to prevent accidental deletions. Is it wrong?

When you're an architect and you've designed a very neat timeless house like Gropius would have done

Would be very very nice...

LG

• that NAS will be sleeping 99% of the time

How can the NAS sleep for 99% of the time if 5 people are going to read and write data for 10/12 hours/day on it? And after work I will use it to save some pictures and watching a movies ?

I think that joining all 4 drives into a single array and going RAID6 is a better choice than going RAID5 and keeping one drive alone

How can I prevent accidental deletes of data with an Array?

• How can the NAS sleep for 99% of the time if 5 people are going to read and write data for 10/12 hours/day on it?

Maybe it isn't idling as much then. But boba is right, Intel is much better at low Power states than AMD is.

You only can if you have a versioning software, that has live backups of everything. Never looked for such software that does that, so I can't tell what to use in that case. The only possibility I know would be to run rsnapshot...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• You are fundamentally right, but maybe you are not considering a couple of things, as I have written:

• It Is just for the first projects at most competitions if we will win one than we will invest , ergo in a short time I hope to convert it in a home NAS.I am the Home user, as dangerous at work time as in relax ;)
    • Yes, backup and RAID are two different stuffs and they prevent different accidents. RAID 5 prevents failures or damages of the HDDs and the Backups prevent my stupidity ;) That's why just 3 of 4 HDDs are part of the array the 4th is independent and used for backup also of the important data contained in the HDDs under array to prevent accidental deletions. Is it wrong?

When you're planning to separate business and home in near future, I would think about a different approach in general. I don't know your timeline. But first of all I would just use your NAS for business. When it grows and you're good to go, buy a larger NAS for your business and migrate your former-business-NAS to your Home-NAS. I would never ever mix those things in one device.

About RAID: RAID prevents against.... uhm.... nothing when you think about failures or damages of the HDD. RAID is about two things: It's keeps you working when one HDD is in trouble. It saves your team time (not your's as an admin) restoring data from a backup. That's all. Nothing more.

Would be very very nice...

At this time I'm drinking a Darjeeling-Tea from Walters TAC-Service. :D

How can the NAS sleep for 99% of the time if 5 people are going to read and write data for 10/12 hours/day on it? And after work I will use it to save some pictures and watching a movies ?

It depends on your CAAD- or Collaborative-Software, it's file-locking-mechanism and other things. Are you sharing an office, or are you in different places? If it's in one office and the software is not optimized for network- and team-usage, you should think about local copies to work on.

Do internal mirroring, maybe with versions. Time between mirroring dependents on usage.

• How can the NAS sleep for 99% of the time if 5 people are going to read and write data for 10/12 hours/day on it? And after work I will use it to save some pictures and watching a movies ?

Because unless you are transcoding, that processor will not see load above 10%, period. All the moments it is not writing or not reading it will go into low-power-consumption state (even if the activity isn't very intense it will go into a semi-low-power-state), and Intel is MUCH better at this than AMD.

Zitat

The same way you can avoid that with a single drive. Install software that can do file versioning.
    On Openmediavault there is OwnCloud plugin that can do that (among other things, it is similar to Dropbox, but the data is in your NAS, not in the cloud).
    See documentation at link below:
    https://doc.owncloud.org/serve…files/versioncontrol.html

• Intel is much better at low Power states than AMD is

I'm struggling with the searching and comparing of data about the idle power consumption of the A4-5000 and some intel CPU used for micro server with the same
    calculation capacity.

Per instance I found this data:

HP Microserver Gen 8 1610T, HDD 2x 2 TB WD Green 2GB ram
    Intel Celeron G1610T @ 2.30GHz Passmark result: 2312 (7% more performant than A4-500) TDP=35 W
    System Idle consumption=23W

1. AMD A4-5000 System Specs:
    4GB DDR3 RAM, OCZ Vector 256GB SSD
    System Idle consumption=9W+"HDD as above(3wx2)"=15W

1. AMD A4-5000 System Specs:
    1x 4 GB DDR3L-1600 @ 800 MHz, single-channel
    Toshiba MQ Series 320 GB (MQ01ABD032)
    System Idle consumption=5.1W+ HDD as above(3wx2)=11,1 W

Is really that bad?

I don't know, maybe I shouldn't give a chance to the A4-5000. But I'm curious....... :D

Sources:

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/com…2-microserver-963207.html

http://www.techspot.com/review…a4-5000-kabini/page2.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/S…0-APU-Kabini.93173.0.html

• in both the reviews the a4-5000 was mounted on a "AMD Whitebook Sample", that is some kind of dev board from AMD, aimed at notebooks it seems, so yeah.

You need to look at tests done with a real board.

If you don't find those tests (I did not) feel free to try. Post results if you do, so everyone knows for the future.

If you see the boards with an A4-5300 it gets a 30 watts at idle, which is double the Intel's board in the test (I assume because of better GPU, none does GPU-less tests, when there is no screen the GPU is asleep).

A common gaming processor like the i5 3570k manages to do less than an a4-5300 when idle (again in that test, again probably because of less powerful integrated GPU).
    and an i5 3570k laughs at anything that can overload an a4-5000, it's not a low-end CPU.

So yeah, AMD does not have a good record for low power consumption and there is no data on newer offerings.

• I would look at the asrock Q1900-ITX-DC. I am really satisfied with it and the power consumtion is verry low (10w in idle (spinndown))
    I dont know about 1080p trancoding you would need to look into that.
    But its cheap, efficient and silent !

• At the moment i have just the Darjeeling-Tea whitout that beautiful teapot

You should buy it, when your project is a success! Designed way back in the late sixties, it's available at this time too. I'm loving it. BTW: Only the Teaset is an original and finished design. It is called "Tac 1". "Tac 02"-Range is based on that, but started years later after his dead. And you get stemware as well... ;)

• I'm loving it

http://www.task.ac.jp/course/ceramic.html

That is the web page of the ceramic department at the Traditional Arts School of Kyoto. At position 3 you will find a Teapot, that is the last exam before the "students" get the permission to work on them first masterpiece.
    To pass the exam they have to look into the meaning of perfection through the production in one year of 100 of that teapots, rigorously handmade without measurement tools. The teapot is composed of 4 parts. spout, lid, handle and the main body.
    At the end, each one will be measured and the student passes the exam just in case they are precisely the same.

For me would be nice to have just one of them ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!