Help moving to new server

• hello everyone,
    My trusty old HP N40 has served me well but I have now purchased a shiny new Gen8
    I am looking for advice on how to move over to this new machine ?

I currently have 3 disk raid 5 (mdadm) all 2TB WD reds..and omv on SSD boot
    should I just move it lock stock and barrel to the new server as I have seen mentioned.. running omv-firstaid after the event and use software raid going forward
    Or
    should I utilize the inbuilt hardware raid controller (b120i) in a raid configuration (0,1,10) by backing up my data first then setting up the hardware raid (possibly buying a 4th WD red)...?
    If I do the hardware option, how would I re-setup OMV to point at the data as the mount points would obviously be different and I also have other stuff installed (including crashplan for backups etc)
    Or
    a 3rd option ??? that I haven't thought about (maybe a plugin that I saw on omv-extras that I forgot the name of

thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it were me, I'd just move it.

If you go the hardware raid option, if I'm not mistaken, you're going to have to format the data drives. So that's going to involve backing up your data elsewhere, and then setting up your data drives, shares, etc. again.

• You should not use the build in raid controller. If you do so, you need to backup all your data, then build you raid and then restore everything afterwords.

Also you need Debian Wheezy drivers (or backport kernel) for that Raid controller ... not sure if they are available.

The easiest thing is to move the drives over to the new server - done. OMV will recognize the raid after boot.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!