My first NAS build

• Hello everyone,

I am new in the NAS world and also new to OMV. I wanted to have a NAS for a long time and have been searching around for a while now. I checked Synology, which I find to expensive. I checked FreeNas which I think is overkill for me and then I found OMV which I think is great!. I am rather familiar with Debian so that is a plus and it would suffice my needs I think.

I want to use my NAS as a file server, want to set up OwnCloud, use it as a download station with SabNZB, couchpotato etc. and I want to use it as a Plex media server to stream to just 1 or 2 devices.

I looked around and made a list of components which I think should be enough for what I want and have the possibility to upgrade if needed.

CASE: Fractal Design Node 304
    MB: ASRock Z87E-ITX 100 6xSATA+Intel LAN
    CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 OR Pentium G3258
    RAM: Crucial CT102464BA160B 8GB DDR3
    PSU: Cooler Master GM G550M
    DISKS: 3x WD Red SATA 6 Gb/s WD20EFRX, 2TB in RAID5 + a 128GB SSD for OS+OMV which I take from my current system

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Very nice :) Should work perfect.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Would you think it is better to use then, JBOD or no raid set at all? I have a 1TB USB 3.0 disk around for backup which I could use or look for an online solution for my crucial data.

What about the CPU, should I go for the i3 or the cheaper G3258, don't know if it's worth it?

Thanks again for your help!

• My opinion:
    Don't use JBOD if you're not forced too. Keep it simple. Add the discs you need, activate for example shares called "Crucial Data" to HDD1, and "Video", "Music" to HDD2 and use HDD3 for an external backup with a docking-station (Example).

In my opinion there is no need to backup entrainment so often. So you got it on a separate HDD. But you images, your documents are on another HDD. Backup is quick an easy without any worries.

G3258 should do fine for homeuse. I don't know from the back of my head if encryption is supported at this time. If it will come in near future and you need to use that, grab a CPU with AES-support.

• Well, I got the system together. I had some problems to start with since I got the MB with an old firmware which didn´t support the CPU but got the firmware upgraded with an older CPU.

Now my next problem is installing OMV. When I run the setup my NIC doesn´t get the correct driver. After some searching I found that there are a lot of problems when it comes to installing Debian when you have a Intel I217-V NIC.

Even when I try to install Debian 7.8.0 from the CD-iso there is no correct driver.

Do you guys have any idea how I can get this to work? I do not have a spare NIC laying around for installation as I read to be a solution.

Thanks in advance!

• Thanks for the reply. When I manualy install debian and install the driver afterwards it does work but manual omv install is not a succes for me. Is it possible to install omv on the disk in another machine and move the disk back to the NAS box afterwards?

• I installed Wheezy, the last stable 7.8.0 netinst. I did search the forum and the rest of the internet but it seems impossible to install debian with this NIC. The funny thing is that the NIC isn't even that new and a e1000e driver gets loaded but it's the wrong driver.

• Thanks again for your quick reply Dennis!

So you think my best option is to install debian netinst 7.8.0. Then install the network driver by hand and OMV manually and then insatall the backport-kernel? I do not have a spare PCIe NIC and they are pretty expensive. The board doesn´t have an old fashion PCI slot.

• What I did was install Debian 7.8.0 netinst without network connection. After that I installed make and gcc packages via USB stick. Then I installed the NIC driver and set up the connection. I then added the repos and installed OMV by hand but got all kinds of error messages. I can get in the webinterface but I got the feeling the installation is not stable and thus want to make a clean install.

I do have a WLAN stick and could try to install OMV with that and install the backport kernel before connecting the intel NIC.

• Good point. If you dount find OMV stable at this time, I'm assuming, that there is no important data on that device. Given that:

• use Google to find out, if your WLAN-Stick will work out of the box
    • plugin your WLAN-Stick, get your login-credentials ready
    • do Debian 7.8.0 net-install (uncheck all options when asked for packages)
    • follow these instructions and activate the WLAN
    • then do that, what Aaron posted here
    • install OMV-Extras like shown here
    • activate the Backport-Kernel in OMV-Extras
    • try your NIC

Good luck! :thumbup:

If you stuck somewhere, I would recommand to open threads in the best categories. Typically you get better help, when you do so. ;)

• @ryecoaaron has a compile script for the e1000 kernel somewhere, I don't remember where exactly, but let him post it here.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Shouldn't need it with the latest kernel but here it is - link

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

What I did was install Debian 7.8.0 netinst without network connection. After that I installed make and gcc packages via USB stick. Then I installed the NIC driver and set up the connection. I then added the repos and installed OMV by hand but got all kinds of error messages. I can get in the webinterface but I got the feeling the installation is not stable and thus want to make a clean install.

I do have a WLAN stick and could try to install OMV with that and install the backport kernel before connecting the intel NIC.

If the installer detects your WLAN stick, there's no reason not to do this (temporarily). Just install OMV using the wlan, boot it, log in to the webUI and install the backports kernel. Shutdown, disconnect wlan, boot up, run omv-firstaid to set up the NIC connection. Done.

Another way to do it.. if you have access to another machine (this is how I did it a while ago w/ a wonky realtek device). Take your OS drive and put it in another computer (that the installer presumably recognizes). Disconnect all other hard drives on that system, but the OS drive, Install OMV, upgrade to backports kernel via the webUI, shutdown, pull OS drive and install it in your NAS. Boot OMV on your NAS, run omv-firstaid and configure the Intel NIC

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could try this iso too

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!