Motherboard Recommendation

• I am looking to build a new NAS server and expand my storage capabilities dramatically. Currently I have two NAS boxes with a total of 12 drives and I am looking to consolidate down to a single box.
    I have played with SATA PCI cards before to get me the capacity I need but had issues.
    My plan is to have an array of 8 4Tb drives in Raid 6 software. The plan is to only use the system for NAS.

The ASRock C2550D4I Mini ITX Server appears to fit my requirements with the right number of SATA ports. I have a few questions:

Is the performance of the Atom up to the task?
    Is there any issue with the Marvell SATA in Openmediavault, apparently FreeNAS has problems with Marvell.

Any other motherboard choices worth looking at: I do have a Xeon 1230 V2 that I could use if need be.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are plenty of people using that board on this forum. What are you going to use it for? Are you looking for energy efficiency?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• There are plenty of people using that board on this forum. What are you going to use it for? Are you looking for energy efficiency?

My plan is to use it a NAS server, Raid 6, approximately 30TB. I would like something that can handle a relatively high workload. It is also likely that I would put my Owncloud Server on there as well. Energy efficiency would be good but it is not a priority. My only concern with using the Xeon 1230 is that it would be complete overkill for the purpose. Although given that I am looking at Raid 6 I am guessing that this may not be the case.

If it isnt complete overkill I will keep it as an option. Are there any good motherboard choices that work with the Xeon 1230? I would like to have the right number of SATA ports (at least 10) as I have had too many issues with PCI SATA controller cards. It was my question over finding a decent motherboard with the right number of SATA ports that had me run into the ASRock C2550D4I in the first place.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think the c2550 would work just fine and be energy efficient.

I use a Xeon 1220 v2 in my home server in an ASRock H77 Pro4-M board with an LSI 9211-8i sata controller. It will handle anything I can throw at it while running a couple of VMs.

I maintain a Xeon 1245 v3 in a school (200 people) NAS in a Supermicro X10SL7-F. Awesome board and has no issues with 200 people running two VMs.

So, just depends on your budget and energy desires. The Supermicro board has all the ports (onboard LSI controller) you want, flawless remote control, and you have the xeon... Hard to pass it up.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Agree it is hard to pass up having a Xeon on hand. I am going to try going down this path.

Big shame the Supermicro board is 1150 socket while the Xeon V2 is 1155.

It is one of the problems that I have, not as many motherboards that fit my criteria. Should clarify my existing motherboard potentially has issues.
    The closest I managed to find is the ASRock C216 WS ATX with 10 SATA Ports.

Looked at the LSI controller, not as suitable for me as I am planning on RAID 6 for extra redundancy.

I am also considering getting a Supermicro board with a Supermicro Sata card (SUPERMICRO
    AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS 8-Port Controller Card). Maybe my mistake with SATA cards was going too cheap and not server class.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oops. Forgot about the socket change between v2 and v3.

I have my LSI controller in IT mode running 8 drive mdadm software raid 5. So, raid 6 would be no problem either.

• Oops. Forgot about the socket change between v2 and v3.

I have my LSI controller in IT mode running 8 drive mdadm software raid 5. So, raid 6 would be no problem either.

Hanging around here is dangerous to the wallet. ;)

Option 1.) ASRock C2550D4I Mini ITX
    $325
    Option 2.) ASRock C216 WS ATX
    $209
    Option 3.) Supermicro X10SL7-F $290
    Xeon 1230 V3 $240
    $530
    Option 4.) Supermicro X9SAE-V $250
    LSI 9211-8i $299
    $550

I am so tempted to go with option 3.) the reviews on the Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard are great and having all the SATA ports on board is a tempting deal. Starting to become more like a new build but I think it will be a solid system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hanging around here is dangerous to the wallet. ;)

3 is a great option if your wallet allows it :) The one I built is running flawless after a year and a half.

4 would cost even more because you would need the two 1-to-4 cables for the card.

• 3 is a great option if your wallet allows it :) The one I built is running flawless after a year and a half.

4 would cost even more because you would need the two 1-to-4 cables for the card.

Excellent will go with option 3.

Doing some final tinkering with OpenMediaVault on my test system. Still performs pretty well on 8yr old hardware although owncloud struggles severely. The Xeon will chime. I didnt realize that it had a virtualbox addon. Very very cool. :)

I have never used RAID before so wanted to be sure that I could recover it if a drive failed. Created a RAID 6 array. Pulled a drive and formatted it and put it in. Hit the recover button and all is working perfectly.

Next up I am going to reinstall the OS and see if I can recover the RAID array.

Yes the testing may be overkill, but my main system runs all on encrypted drives and I want to be sure all of the recovery tools work the same on encrypted drives.

Excited for the new hardware.

• Well got through both tests unscathed and recovery was an absolute breeze.

Only downside that I have at the moment is that I am having a lot of trouble with the owncloud plugn (mysql seems like a pain to install)
    Given my hardware running it as a virtual machine should work and be relatively fast?
    Another potential option is to run Openmediavault on a debian install.

Another question on the motherboard, can I plug my SATA hdd into the SAS port?

• Well thought id post back on my experience.

The system is complete overkill but I love it. :)
    Supermicro X10-SL7
    Xeon 1231 v3
    16Gb ECC RAM
    240Gb Intel SSD
    650W power supply
    Running Raid 6 array 6 drives 4Tb each
    Plus another 4 drives
    All drives encrypted so it does place additional strain on the system.

I run owncloud, media server and torrents. Handles the entire thing without even breaking a sweat. I really like the motherboard and it had no issues detecting the drives in the SAS ports. My local computer store does install the CPU and update the bios so that may have helped. I discovered IPMI and I had no idea how amazing it was. My server is in the basement and is headless so the ability to reboot without physical access to the machine is a huge bonus. It does not win any speed bonuses on the booting process but not really an issue on a system that once setup is likely to get rebooted every 3 months.

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am currently using i7-7700 and Asus Prime B250M-A motherboard.

business etiquette training

Unfortunately, the i7 already maxed out to run my multiple channels. I am looking for value for money upgrade to a better CPU that can give at least 30% more performance. Suggestions, please.

Just a note - this is a very OLD thread.

• Not much of a description of the use case other than to say the hardware is inadequate. Calling all mind readers!

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I use some old motherboard such as Intel Core 2 Quad 2.50Ghz and Gigbytes motherboard with 8GB DDR2 and my system resource is far low.. Ram is far plenty.. I dump huge 8GB to 16GB files and get like 98MB/sec to 110MB/sec cross network.. Here is the catch.. One SSD for OS'es for the OMV 6 and rest of HDD is data.. Pretty easy straight foward.. No need powerful CPU.. 4 cores is more enough to run NAS.. I had dump DVD VOB files (4.7GB) and I play back and no hiccup!

ATGPUD2003

• Can I have a question for some advice? I have Intel D2500CC board and I want throw 4TB HDD out of my main PC to use it in NAS. First test with USB HDD is kinda disappointing, but maybe with SATA one it will be better. Is it a good direction or should I ditch this Atom board and buy AIMB-274 from Advantech? I can buy one for 40 USD on Allegro.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I have a question for some advice? I have Intel D2500CC board and I want throw 4TB HDD out of my main PC to use it in NAS. First test with USB HDD is kinda disappointing, but maybe with SATA one it will be better. Is it a good direction or should I ditch this Atom board and buy AIMB-274 from Advantech? I can buy one for 40 USD on Allegro.

The performance of the NAS will depend on what you want to do with it. It depends on whether you want a basic NAS (share files) or install 20 containers to do simultaneous work, what are your needs?

• The performance of the NAS will depend on what you want to do with it. It depends on whether you want a basic NAS (share files) or install 20 containers to do simultaneous work, what are your needs?

For now - storage only, maybe even non-RAID one, since I have WD Blue 4TB drive already full of data. For near future - RAID 1 or RAID 5 storage + maybe Plex server. It's important to get relatively cheap and low power setup. Now D2500CC setup takes 30+ watts@ idle, but I'll test its bandwidth with 128 GB SATA SSD in few days.
    Also, I have Chieftec 180W PSU, 4GB of SODIMM DDR3 memory, Mini-ITX case with one 3.5 inch bay and A LOT of ATX cases.

Speaking of MBs, AIMB-275 with LGA1151v1 socket is also available, even slightly cheaper than 274 (meant for Haswell), but there can be problems with powering it since it doesn't have standard ATX connectors.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For now - storage only, maybe even non-RAID one, since I have WD Blue 4TB drive already full of data. For near future - RAID 1 or RAID 5 storage + maybe Plex server.

For that almost anything is enough. The limitation will probably be the speed of your network.

Ask yourself what is the reason for considering a Raid. Around here it is usually said that a Raid is NOT a backup.

• For that almost anything is enough. The limitation will probably be the speed of your network.

Ask yourself what is the reason for considering a Raid. Around here it is usually said that a Raid is NOT a backup.

Yes, I understood that. I'm looking more for reliability and power efficiency. That's why I'm looking for better solution.

From my own research - I found a video of attempt to modify AIMB-275, when powered from lab bench PSU, it took something like 9W in BIOS with i5-6500 and 8GB of RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!