Mobo and other HW suggestions wanted for new OMV box with ECC

• Offizieller Beitrag

I forgot one other important factor... My wife didn't really like plex :D Too geeky I guess.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I like Plex and don't mind renaming files. With movies I've had very few issues. The problems are mostly with renaming TV series episodes. Not a big deal. Some people have complained about the subtitles. I have given a few links to Plex forums on how to get it working. I use my Fire TV as a client.

• Too geeky I guess.

That might be why my wife likes it. She chose the E5 Xeon in this build, or rather to look at E5's instead of E3's which prompted me to ask my mate if he happened to be breaking anything with one in, which he was :)

The problems are mostly with renaming TV series episodes. Not a big deal. Some people have complained about the subtitles. I have given a few links to Plex forums on how to get it working. I use my Fire TV as a client.

The TV shows are the main problem for us too. There's a lot of niche British stuff it just doesn't get. It never seems to understand specials and extras either.

Subtitles are a pain in Plex, agreed. Kodi rocks there - opensubtitles.org integration is perfect. We do miss that.

• Case is here. :) had the chance to have a good look at it today and thought I'd share some feedback on it for anyone else who may be considering it.

First impressions are very good. Seems well built.

Side panels come off by loosening 2 thumb screws per side at the back, and front panel pulls off.

There are a ton of ways to route cables and plenty of grommets to make life easy.

The top, front and bottom are very breathable and all contain removable dust filters. The top and bottom ones slide out without disassembly and the front one just requires you to pull the front off.

The 3 x 200mm fans that are included are outside the main body of the case (but behind the grills) so they do not impede the installation of rads inside the case. These fans are independently controlled and the buttons for these are on the top. One more 200mm fan can be added to the top if required. These fans can be removed and put in different places, it's very configurable.

There is plenty of room for a 420mm rad on the inside top, and a ton of other places to put rads of varying sizes inside.

The 8 HDD bays are configured in a modular 3/3/2 so they can be removed and or swapped from 2,3,5,6,8 configs or removed all together and HDDs placed in a few other locations. They unclip and slide out easily and have tool free catches for screw-less HDD fitting, but one thing they do not have is SATA boards at the back - so cables need to be plugged in from the other side whenever fitting or removing. It looks like PCBs could be fitted though. Would need to look into that. There are 2 optical bays.

Despite its size, it looks like the standard modular cables that came with the PSU (which are about 50cm in length) should be more than enough to route through to the back of the case and feed the drives.

The top front of the case has the power button, reset button, 2 x USB 2, 2 x USB 3, headphone socket, mic socket, integrated 200mm fan controls (fast/slow) and a lights out button.

The case came well packed in cellophane and polystyrene and has removable cellophane on the clear Perspex side panel. The case came with a large bag of screws, manual etc.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You forgot the pics :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Here :)

The one with the single 200mm clear bladed fan is the inside top. I was going to hold a ruler up to it in some of the pics but it's gone walkies.

I also have a point to mention about the Seasonic PSU:

It came with 2 cables with SATA power connectors on. One with 4 and one with 2. This obviously isn't enough for 8 drives plus OS drive so I also ordered a male to 4 x female splitter which I'll use on the 2. I could contact Seasonic and buy another 4, but the splitter was £5 on eBay (all black by Startech - coloured wires would have been slightly cheaper) the extra PSU lead was more than that on eBay and I doubt Seasonic would be cheaper.

• Yeah. This is the only down side I can see so far. I'm wondering if a generic backplane could be fitted.

The problem that I've come across while looking for a case is that the ones with at least 8 bays are either: rack mount, ugly or won't cool the components too well, or most importantly - aren't full ATX. Whilst it would be nice to have a backplane on there, I can make do without in favour of what promises to be a very cool and quiet running case (I hope!). The larger 200mm fans on the V71 should push more air whilst remaining quiet.

Because this is for home application, I don't really need hot swap ability - but it would have been nice. I agree that the marketing made it look like a backplane was present though.

It's swings and roundabouts, what do I want more? This case has a ton of room, huge fans and fits at least 8 drives.

I might drop them an email and see if they make a board specifically for it.

I am looking for a LCD panel to go in one of the 5.25" optical bay slots to give system info etc.

Any recommendations?

• Pretty cool actually. Remarkably sober while not sacrificing airflow.
    That's basically a hotswap rack in disguise. Very very ninja, very very nice.

Might want to tell them that if they offer a sata backplane optional and deliver a few to popular home server forums for a review it might get a non-trivial sale boost. Because reasons.

Can you post a pic of the other side with the panel off? So we can see how much space there is to mount the backplanes and and if there are holes or mount points that can be used.
    I think I saw mount holes in the pic here, one per sata drive (i mean two, side by side of the rectangular opening).
    These holes do hint at the fact that someone thought about backplanes when designing this case.

My hardware guy's batsense is telling me that lian li sata boards have some chances of being compatible with these mount holes, although i WARMLY recommend you to look at specs to get a positive confirmation before committing. Sadly it's only images so you will need to eyeball it, by using the Molex or Sata ports as an anchor for a size comparison and do a calculation to get the approximate size.
    If edwardwong has a board like these in his case (or a bigger one that still looks very similar) maybe he can give accurate measurements.

3 drives http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lian-L…2&keywords=sata+backplane
    2 drives http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lian-L…fRID=0ZTP815ZZS7E0CZYMRKF
    1 drive http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lian-L…-17&keywords=lian+li+sata
    3drive specs http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/bp3sata/
    2drive specs http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/bp2sata/
    1drive specs http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/bp1sata/

For the sake of fair competition (meh, blergh) here are a bunch of generic backplanes, most are Sata/SAS.
    My own personal opinion is that Lian Li is pretty much Master Race (or Über Alles for german readers) here and I trust their stuff much more than random brands from china, especially for a critical job like this. Crappy backplanes can kill drives or PSU or whatever. Power lines, not just data lines.
    But frankly, I never saw one of these hotswap backplane boards blow up, so it's up to you.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADAPTE…5&keywords=sata+backplane
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cablem…4&keywords=sata+backplane
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAS-Ho…8&keywords=sata+backplane

As an added bonus I'm also going to tell you to look at 4-in-one braided sata cables (4 sata bundled inside the same braid), or buy a braid kit and do it yourself.
    Because with 8 sata drives it's going to look like a viper nest otherwise.
    Lian li, showing again proofs of being Master Race, has them (so you can look at what it should look like, note also how they did label the cables with a number), but I never found anyone selling these cables http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/sata-lt90-4/

I'm also very inclined to recommend labeling the drive bays too, so that when a drive dies and you get notified on your email of the drive letter or even better of its partition label (disk1, disk2, and so on), there are less chances you will pull the wrong drive, as that's always a (not) fun thing when you find out.

(especially if you do it with a rack and the poor thing was running a RAID5, crashing everything and risking your own life when the boss finds out, but i digress...)

• Offizieller Beitrag

These work well on my system. I have two.

• I am looking for a LCD panel to go in one of the 5.25" optical bay slots to give system info etc.
    Any recommendations?

Since it is running linux, the choices are somewhat limited because you need a good control software that runs on linux.
    This is afaik the best (only?) control software for LCD panels in linux (if the controller is supported).
    http://lcdproc.omnipotent.net/
    There is a Kodi plugin to have it control an LCD through LCDproc http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:XBMC_LCDproc
    there is a prebuilt package in debian repos, but you will probably want to install it manually from Jessie repos if it does not try to pull down too much dependencies too (as you will want the newest version for better hardware support) https://packages.debian.org/jessie/lcdproc

If you look at the news in that site, the site was kept alive by an LCD manufacturer called Crystalfontz.
    Don't be scard by the lack of development, LCD controllers aren't exactly bleeding edge and common place in PCs.
    As said here, Crystalfontz is basically making the same stuff since decades ago or so.
    http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.lcdproc/14066

So look at their supported hardware list and see what you can find.
    Matrix Orbital is another good brand, but they make... wait for it... Vacuum Fluorescent Displays.
    Which imho kick the backside of any LCD anytime, anyday.

• @ryecoaaron I have something similar without the caps: http://sgcdn.startech.com/0053…y_large/PYO4SATA.Main.jpg

@bobafetthotmail out at the mo, will take a pic when I get back later and I will measure the distance between screw holes. I wouldn't get a cheap backplane - I HAVE seen them blow up. And I know others have too: http://wsyntax.com/cs/killer-norco-case/

Thanks for the links to the LCDs - I'll check them out. Agreed on the labelling. I have label OCD ;) my trusty Dymo LetraTag gets almost daily use for one thing or another.

• @ftriscari thanks. Looking forward to getting it all up and running. Just waiting on the Corsair and the mobo now.

@bobafetthotmail here are the pics, sorry that they aren't great. I got back way later tonight than I thought so I'd lost daylight.

Also, had a chance to look at those LCDs. Looks like the kind of thing I am after. I can get one for about £20 but that's just the board, I'd need to mod a blank plate so I may keep looking and see if I can find one with. I don't mind pulling in LCDproc from Jessie, as long as it doesn't cause too much mayhem. I was really hoping OMV 2 would have been delayed slightly in favour of a Jessie build, but I don't think that is planned until Version 3. ;( [its not too late for 2.1 to be Jessie :D wink, wink, nudge, nudge :D]

• Hmmm, too much weird stuff behind, mount holes not useful.... nope I'd say no sata board.

I wouldn't get a cheap backplane - I HAVE seen them blow up. And I know others have too: http://wsyntax.com/cs/killer-norco-case/

Now that's interesting. Always liked to read a good disaster reports.
    It explains why most sata boards around are now mostly unpopulated (also Lian Li's), that is, they show contatcs and mount points for components that are not soldered.

The boards there blew up because they had a safety switch inside an IC, and this IC was unable to cope with newer, more-power-hungry drives.
    They said they removed the blown ICs and the still-working ones and shorted the right contacts on the board to bypass this "safety".

Zitat

I was really hoping OMV 2 would have been delayed slightly in favour of a Jessie build,

Jessie Stable implements systemd instead of sysvinit, so startup and system services work different and have to be interacted with in a different way.
    It is generally a good thing as it standardizes such interactions, and comes as standard in any other new distro nowadays.
    But this means Volker has to modify OMV's core to run with this new system (or at least to interface itself with it), so it might not be around the corner.

lcdproc should not be an issue as it does not seem to rely on systemd, but don't let your guard down anyway.

• Hmmm, too much weird stuff behind, mount holes not useful.... nope I'd say no sata board.

All the wires and some screws that you can see in the pictures can be moved. I will have a better look after it's all up and running and take more pics. If not, no biggie.

Now that's interesting. Always liked to read a good disaster reports.
    It explains why most sata boards around are now mostly unpopulated (also Lian Li's), that is, they show contatcs and mount points for components that are not soldered.

The boards there blew up because they had a safety switch inside an IC, and this IC was unable to cope with newer, more-power-hungry drives.
    They said they removed the blown ICs and the still-working ones and shorted the right contacts on the board to bypass this "safety".

Yeah, personally If I had lost even half that many drives to an enclosure, it would be in the bin. I wouldn't have 'fixed' that enclosure in a manner by bypasses whatever little safety it did have. I don't care how much budget is left, there are some things that are absolutely justified - budget can always be squeezed from somewhere if the need is great enough. Hey ho, I guess they justified the bodge somehow.

Jessie Stable implements systemd instead of sysvinit, so startup and system services work different and have to be interacted with in a different way.
    It is generally a good thing as it standardizes such interactions, and comes as standard in any other new distro nowadays.
    But this means Volker has to modify OMV's core to run with this new system (or at least to interface itself with it), so it might not be around the corner.

I know :) Just wishful thinking. I've always liked systemd. I know this is a very controversial subject with some for many reasons, but I quite like it.

lcdproc should not be an issue as it does not seem to rely on systemd, but don't let your guard down anyway.

This may have to be on hold for a bit. I can only find the plain PCB for some of the CrystalFontz models in the UK. That leaves getting it from the U.S and it's over $100. U.S. companies aren't generally kind to Brits when we import and put the full retail value of the item on the customs declaration so we get slammed with tax. The customs declaration only asks for the item value, they could put the manufacturing value - but they never do. A friend of mine bought a shirt on eBay and won it for $23 all in. The seller put the full retail value of $80 and kicked up a complete stink when my friend refused the MASSIVE import tax on a £15 shirt (which would have been below import tax threshold). It's just plain bad for business ||

• Yeah, personally If I had lost even half that many drives to an enclosure, it would be in the bin. I wouldn't have 'fixed' that enclosure in a manner by bypasses whatever little safety it did have.

Since they failed the most important rule of thumb for a server admin, that can summarized as this (full caps is intended)
    "KEEP REGULAR OFFSITE BACKUPS OF EVERYTHING YOU <bad words> OR I WILL <bad things> YOU!!! RAID IS NOT BACKUP <expletives>!!!"
    and that they have exactly 0 justifications for that (Crashplan or Backblaze offer unlimited storage for your backups at something like 5$ a month per PC/server/whatever, also with a linux client for servers because they do deal with companies too, and refresh the backup daily), that's somewhat expected that they keep acting like completely reckless fools and do hardware hacks to keep using crappy hardware.

If I did EVER lose permanently any data in a server room (let alone 13TB), being sued by the customer/boss is the least of my worries, if that was critical data I might trip violent emotional reactions and I might need to literally run for my life.
    Like that case of the RAID5 server that "mysteriously crashed" while I was changing a failed drive, I had backups that were promptly restored ("promptly" is a relative term, tape backups, you know) so I got away with a very angry boss but no personal harm, if no bacKups were available.... but I'm digressing again.

The data they acquired is useful though, and it explains quite a bit of things I am seeing.
    They get a truck of cookies for that. Not many people have the skills to troubleshoot stuff, nor are reckless enough to do and test hardware hacks (without backups, no less) and publish the results so others know what to look out for.

Zitat

This may have to be on hold for a bit. I can only find the plain PCB for some of the CrystalFontz models in the UK.

You looked at Matrix Orbital? They make LCD displays too.
    the lcdproc supports their stuff through a driver made by Matrix Orbital themselves, which is in mainline (shipped with kernel) since kernel 2.6. See here the supported models http://www.matrixorbital.ca/appnotes/Linux/Using Matrix Orbital Displays on Linux.pdf
    Yes it's a pretty old pdf, LCD market isn't exactly full of innovation lol. They still sell that stuff, don't worry.

There is a decent offer of their stuff in UK (not cheap, but hey) http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/aca…CD___VFD_Displays_29.html
    On the "bays/keypads" link you find the mount bays for a PC. stuff in "cabling" might be necessary too.

Zitat

A friend of mine bought a shirt on eBay and won it for $23 all in.

Ebay has a overseas selling program that pre-computes all costs and allows you to pre-pay all the taxes when you buy the object, then ships it around as "tax already payed" object through its channels. Of course you will pay taxes on what you actually payed through Ebay, not the original item value.
    If you buy overseas, buy from sellers that use it.
    Here for details http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!