Mobo and other HW suggestions wanted for new OMV box with ECC

• Well, I work in data center before, facing 100K HDDs everyday, I can tell that WD died most and turns out we disqualify ALL WD in our production use, even a consumer grade HGST deskstar is working better than them.

It's pretty clear that the data is very model-dependent.

Newer WD drives have higher death rates, HGST remains top dog and stationary, meanwhile Seagate have a few select models that die like flies in a firestorm, and that pulls down the whole brand's general statistics shown in the images. https://www.backblaze.com/blog…ty-update-september-2014/
    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/
    And they are now opensourcing the databases with the logs of issues and SMART attributes of ALL their drives taken daily.
    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-data-feb2015/

This data has to be looked at not by looking at brands but by looking at each drive model. Seagate has a couple drive models with pretty low death rates for example, and it seems like the trend is moar capacity moar failure rate for everyone (this last thing isn't exactly unexpected actually).

Zitat

The V71 case

Nice case. You are making a "gaming" server lol. Also LEDs. I can't say I like the window (personal preference) but you are surely making that boy stand out.
    If you can't hide something... make sure none will miss it then.

Zitat

Not sure if I need any extra fans yet.

I doubt it. You can probably get away with using only the two frontal fans sucking air from outside and mounting the heatsink on top of everything with fans sucking air from inside the case.

• Nice case. You are making a "gaming" server lol. Also LEDs. I can't say I like the window (personal preference) but you are surely making that boy stand out.
    If you can't hide something... make sure none will miss it then.

I doubt it. You can probably get away with using only the two frontal fans sucking air from outside and mounting the heatsink on top of everything with fans sucking air from inside the case.

I think you may be right about the fans. I wasn't intending to go for a gaming rig, we were really annoyed about not being able to have the Node 804 but when we started looking for a full ATX, the case had all the bays needed and the cooling as standard and a ton of room to expand. I know I probably shouldn't have got carried away with the purple LEDs but you have to admit it's going to look shiny lol.

On a different note, just had my mate knock on the door and hand me a small packet ;) guess what it is?

It's got Intel etched on it :D

It's passed initial tests but I'll make sure I run it through its paces when it's up and running it might still have a fault (although I doubt it). The only small point is that there are a couple of minor marks on the heat spreader, but nothing major. I guess that's why I only paid £350 and a crate of beer for it (oh, and helping change his Cambelt next weekend). Still, a win is a win :)

• I've got the other 2 I need ordered.

Like I said above, I can't see why seagate wouldn't honour a warranty on just the drive if it hasn't been tampered with. I could be wrong, so maybe double check with them unless you don't mind taking the risk. It's about £30 cheaper than the drive itself- sell the enclosure too, and if it all goes wrong you've probably only lost £70 (assuming you can't RMA it). The enclosure was easy enough to get open with some gentle but firm prying with a guitar pick style pry tool and there were no warranty stickers on it, only the drive as you can see. Vids on YouTube:

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Different model but same design enclosure.

Edit: RMA, not RMAS.. damn you auto correct. All I seem to do it edit my posts :P

• Couldn't say. I have a single bay Orico that's built really well. If I need to get one of these drives out or use it for something else, I won't be putting them back in the Seagate plasticrappy things that's for sure. They'll be long sold.

Plus, if I remember correctly, the chipset in the original Seagate Desktop drives like the one in the video with the shiny black plastic and obviously more than 2TB (the one I ordered is matt/rubbery) has some kind of XP compatibility crap with it. It split the 4TB into 2 x 2TB in an MBR type partition setup, then kind of pieced them back together. This way, XP could use the 4TB with no extra drivers, but if you got it out the enclosure and plugged it into a normal enclosure or SATA port, it would show as unformatted! I don't know if this applies to these USM ones... They're being marketed for Macs, so it's probably not an included feature as most likely GPT/GUID OTB.

• I love the Orico's. I have bought a couple of their external enclosures. On my 2 primary pcs I put in hot swaps though for the main drive and a backup drive. I normally have the backup drive off except when backups are done. Either drive can be pulled very quickly if I need to put in a new one. When I backup or restore I turn on the backup hard drive. I can restore my machines i like 7-15 minutes sata 3 to sata 3. I also have a backup go to an OMV server.

I have replaced drives in many WD and Seagate externals. The enclosures always are very poorly designed. They do not even dissipate heat well. It's ridiculous.

PS- Once you use hot swaps it is hard to not use them.

• @tekkb your backup setup is similar to mine, but I remove the drive and take it off site. I have the Orico 7618SUS3-BK and I love it. It was £29.99 on eBay a while back. Gotta love that.

@edwardwong not heard of Century, they look good though. Orico definitely wins on price, that's what first attracted me to them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You won't need a fan :) I don't even have heatsinks on my RPi2 (my RPi has them).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Maybe not. But it won't hurt. And the whole lot was £3. I plan to overclock the crap out of them (but without force_turbo=1). I can't imagine they'd run cool.

I noticed quite a drop in temps (don't remember the exact figures) when I got a heat sinks on my first RPi B. The Broadcom in the RPi B throttles when it reaches about 85c IIRC, I'm hoping to avoid it throttling after, say, a LOTR marathon. That's about 11 hours of 1080p for a small chip.

What kind of temps does your 2 reach?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't checked. I just know it hasn't had any problems. Never needed to OC it either. I use OpenELEC on it and the user interface is fast. Doesn't have any problems with 1080p. It just seems a ton faster than the RPi.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Interesting. Looks like the ARM 7 has made all the difference.

I'll probably still run the fan in it and definitely put the heat sinks on, but if it's as fast as you say, I'm tempted not to overclock it in order to preserve as much life as possible. That said, they're like £29 boards.

Have you tried the Emby plugin for Kodi? I think Luke mentioned that it wasn't great on the original B but it worked on the 2. I'm wondering how smooth it is because Plex and Emby are more resource heavy than Kodi.

Before I moved to a client/server environment for our media, the Gotham build of XBMC worked really well and very fast on my overclocked B, for example, but RasPlex wasn't a smooth experience at all and it was maxed out. Emby is more resource hungry than Plex, in my experience (another reason for this whole upgrade).

I'll probably reassign the original B as an AirPlay receiver or similar.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've gotten away from media servers and let Kodi everything over samba or nfs. Much easier :)

• Really? That surprises me. Being a "server-centric" person (if I may say that) I thought you'd favour a client/server solution over just pointing a client at a share.

I've found quite the opposite. I started on XBMC with a HDD plugged into it. When I got all content moved to the server, it annoyed me because each client needed refreshing when there were changes, then there's manual alterations to do for special editions it didn't pick up and shows it doesn't know, blah blah etc. also, Plex and Emby allow you to continue where you left off on another client OTB Kodi can't do that without a something like a SQL server manually setup.

I think Lifehacker called this something like the great divide or similar lol. Half of them are hardcore Plex and the other Kodi. So you'll never see a Lifehacker article favouring one or the other.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are right. I do like everything on the server. I even wrote the plex plugin :) I still use twonky for my old boxes that need dlna. Plex tags/identifies some of my collection incorrectly. The Plex app on fire tv/fire tv stick was picky about some of the media I have. None of my devices need transcoding either. Never tried emby (don't really want mono on my server). We watch quite a bit of content on amazon prime too.

I don't have a refreshing issue. All I have to do is go back a directory level in kodi and everything is refreshed.

Starting where I left off on a different system isn't a big deal for me. I don't move to a different location much. The large skip button in kodi gets me there fast if I do :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!