OMV Plugin Virtualbox - I don't want VB images to be installed onto RAID Storage md123

• Hi,

I installed OMV Plugin VirtualBox which worked for me. No installation troubles.
    I want to held my VirtualBox images onto the drive, where OMV is installed as well (sda1) and not onto the RAID Storage (md123).
    But I only can choose the Raid directory as storage dir for my VB images. Does anybody know, how to change that?

Thanks,
    Bacopilot

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can't. The plugins don't use the OS drive by design. You could repartition the OS to make another partition to put the VMs on.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

boot the system using gparted live. Shrink the OS partition and create a new partition.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Perfect. I will do that and give feedback.
    What do you think, how much space (out of 220GB HDD) you would assign to OMV, also taking further plugin installation into account?
    Currently, OMV incl. VB plugin need 1,7 GB, which is not that much.

I would appreciate a recommendation from you, if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance.
    Bacopilot

• I´d say absolutely no.
    You can simply create a dedicated folder for your VM´s. You do not need to make it public or share it with samba for example. It is just on your filesystem. And if your system drive dies, you can just reinstall OMV and the plugins and then use your VMs again. I use my 265GB SSD just for the system and I store everything on the Raid.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree with WastlJ. We generally recommend not using the OS drive for any data including VMs.

• My plan was to set up a 120GB SSD with a 10GB partition dedicated to the system and the rest as a partition for VMs. I think that it in this case, the VMs would get a speed increase from being on the SSD. Any thoughts ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

That should work and VMs would be faster.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!