Recycling old hardware with OMV

• Just found the pretty old Intel D201GLY2 before moving to a new house, I have to say this is really crappy compared to technologies nowadays, but it's still good as a cheap storage.The Intel D201GLY2 is a mini-ITX board, with Celeron 220 (1.2GHz) soldered, passively cooled, only 1GB DDR2 memory is supported! For linux based storage this won't be a big deal.

2 x SATA 1.5Gbps, not really a big issue for spinning HDD, my concern is more on capacity limit. Tried to hook up with 4TB drive, only 18xx GB recognized in BIOS, but....! Under linux it can be recognized and create single 4TB partition on the drive, bravo! So I can make a 4TB RAID mirror.

1 x PATA port.....pretty useless nowadays, but I can still make good use of it. Inside my drawer there are a few PATA drives (old laptop/desktop drives, ranged 40-320GB), I just hook up a 80GB PATA drive for transmission temp folder (the only way I can find them useful now) + 1 CF-IDE adaptor to put OMV system on (still remember 1 PATA port can hook 2 drives? :P )

The only problem is, onboard 10/100M LAN, luckily there is a free PCI slot, I can grab second hand PCI interface GbE LAN card to use on this machine, and it makes perfect sense now :DThe major purpose of this machine.....is a storage for my father's home, plus a remote backup for my own storage at home :)

As I already got some other old PSU/case at home, basically I just need to pay for a second hand PCI GbE and I can expect the old hardware piece is gonna work for another few year.

• When I started with OMV some month ago, I also did this with a old PC, which was quite newer than yours 3.0GHz Intel Dual Core. It was good for learning, but after a while, I did an economical calculation and found that the power consumption is that high, that I easily could buy a brand new server and it will easily amortize within 1 to 2 years, depending, if you run it in 24/7.
    Instead of buying a new one, I bought then a used HP N40l for €100, which is still good enough runnning OMV in private home environment and pretty low in power consumption. cost savings are approx €150/year.

• When I started with OMV some month ago, I also did this with a old PC, which was quite newer than yours 3.0GHz Intel Dual Core. It was good for learning, but after a while, I did an economical calculation and found that the power consumption is that high, that I easily could buy a brand new server and it will easily amortize within 1 to 2 years, depending, if you run it in 24/7.
    Instead of buying a new one, I bought then a used HP N40l for €100, which is still good enough runnning OMV in private home environment and pretty low in power consumption. cost savings are approx €150/year.

I agree, but the one I have, is just TDP 19W, which is pretty low (well, HDDs are consuming power no matter what motherboard you choose), that's why I plan to keep it.
    I do have N54L as well, and I've just built another more powerful one, with quad core Atom C2550, has TDP 14W but capable to do 2 live stream of video transcoding!

• Found something weird today.
    After installing OMV, the console output says "No interface(es) available", but when I login I can see eth0 with DHCP offering, I can also login web GUI without doing extra steps....why?

• Offizieller Beitrag

When using dhcp, the ip address is typically not ready when the message is generated. If you use a static ip, it works.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

In those cases, I either login as root and use ifconfig -a or check my router's dhcp leases. I use static dhcp leases for a lot of things so I generally know the ip.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!