Docker Plugin

• Docker Webinterface 17

1. Shipyard - http://shipyard-project.com (13) 76%
    2. DockerUI - https://github.com/crosbymichael/dockerui (4) 24%

Hello All,

The OMV community has expressed an interest for a plugin using Docker. http://www.docker.com. We are interested to know which WebGUI front-end you would like to see as the default to include for a plugin. We want to hear from you what you think would be the best fit for a plugin. Please provide links to each project and why you think it is a candidate so we can gather data. After we look at the data, we will provide a poll to help decide which WebGUI the OMV community would like the plugin developers to use. Thanks for your thoughts and input. :)

ShadowZero -- OMV Fan since 0.3

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von WastlJ () aus folgendem Grund: Added Poll

• I like the idea of the open source marketplace integrated into the webgui like Panamax does. However, I do not know how well everything would run...

@Unomagan - do you have a reason why? I´m not that into Docker :D

Edit, added Poll. If anybody knows another good solution, just post it and we´ll add it to the Poll :thumbup:

• Truth? My gut :)

But after checking it out: Shipyard is waaaaay more lightweight. Most people run open media vault on "light machines" which varies in power, chipset etc.

Panamax solved it via virtual machine, which i think is counter productive (I put a container in a container so you can put a container in your container) at least thats how it feels :)

GO is a very nice language. Fast, nearly no dependency (compile and run) and easy to maintain (new version? Overwrite all files after compile, done) no relinking, no recompile and giant upload / download.

So in the long run, I would suggest shipyard. Sure it is a risk by betting on GO (developer hype might vanish) so we would be left with a not maintained "product" but I kinda doubt that now. GO seems to grow every day with more "apps" every day.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I added DockerUI. Not sure how good it is but it is lightweight as well.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Forget panamax, its not gooing to happen. They focus on CoreOS (They supply a VM) and there is no way to run it on a standard linux without the use of the VM.
    I also asked that in their IRC and they didn't seem to care much about my concerns that the forced used of their CoreOS vm limits the useability in a great manner. I.e., you can't run it on your rapsberrypis (Yes I know, Docker has no support for arm whatsoever, but hey, people have it running on arm so... you shut them out...) That does not particularly mean that we can support Docker on arm though.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I mean, if you users say: Yes, we're fine with using Dockerized apps that run inside a CoreOS VM via VBox on your NAS.
    Then its a viable option, but keep in mind that this ultimately puts the nail into the coffin for OpenMediaVault on arm running Dockerized apps.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Forget panamax, its not gooing to happen. They focus on CoreOS (They supply a VM) and there is no way to run it on a standard linux without the use of the VM.
    I also asked that in their IRC and they didn't seem to care much about my concerns that the forced used of their CoreOS vm limits the useability in a great manner. I.e., you can't run it on your rapsberrypis (Yes I know, Docker has no support for arm whatsoever, but hey, people have it running on arm so... you shut them out...) That does not particularly mean that we can support Docker on arm though.

Greetings
    David

I'd say that we should just remove the Panamax option. I tried it once, never again. And it wouldn't go well with a plugin (unless you really like to give yourself work to do).

On another note, just wait with the plugin until we're based on Jessie. Docker is already packaged for Jessie, so a plugin would consist of: enable, install the web interface (shouldn't be done through postinst), maybe the ability to set which port to serve the web interface on, a dependency on docker.io and that's more or less it.

• Forget panamax, its not going to happen.

Let's remove Panamax then. After reading what @davidh2k said, it is not a fit for OMV. I should of done my homework on that one. X/ Oh well can't know everything at once. :)

I'm hoping to see more votes so I would like to give this a few more weeks for people to add their opinion.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!