SMB3 when?

• So, Synology, QNAP and Asustor have shifted, or are shifting to SMB 3 on their linux-based NAS units. Asustor's latest beta is running SAMBA 4.0.16, for example.

Anyone know if/when OMV will be moving to SAMBA 4? I like SMB3 for the decreased overhead, which makes file access via wifi a lot smoother.

Or, how to upgrade the default SAMBA on OMV to 4.x?

About to move to OMV 3.0, running Sonarr, Emby, NZBGet on a Pentium G4520 on an AsRock B150M Pro4S and 16GB DDR4 in a Lian-Li PC-M25A case.
    Sub 10W idle power draw, thanks to SuperFlower 350W 80Plus Gold PSU.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Once OMV is based on Debian Jessie, it will use samba4. The current roadmap has OMV 2.0 still using Debian Wheezy with OMV 3.0 based on Jessie.

While samba4 is in backports, I don't advise installing it since the current plugin may have issues and can't take advantage of samba4 features. Why do you need smb3?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Missed that. Have you used smb3 to experience this improvement? While it does have reduced overhead, everything I have read just says that it will improve performance on fast connections (1gb, 10gb, etc). In my opinion, too many external factors (microwaves, cell phones, cordless phones, etc) degrade a wireless signal for a decrease in overhead to really help much.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sorry, I forgot to come back to this.

If I'm running Windows 2012R2 or my Asustor NAS (also SMB3) as a server, I find lots of small file transfers (as used in Plex Home Theater) do seem to run much more smoothly. Running OMV or WHS2011 on the same hardware means a bit of lag when loading all the thumbnails etc in PHT.

So, with anecdotal evidence I'd say SMB3 does make a difference.

About to move to OMV 3.0, running Sonarr, Emby, NZBGet on a Pentium G4520 on an AsRock B150M Pro4S and 16GB DDR4 in a Lian-Li PC-M25A case.

• As we said it before, we'll get to it with debian Jessie. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Cool. Any vague idea of when that might be?

I notice some folks running OMW 2.03 - is that available for download somewhere? I'm assuming it's in beta? I'm happy to run beta, as I don't have any data on my server that isn't backed up thoroughly.

• OpenMediaVault 2.0 isn't the upgrade to Jessie though... It's an update for the Framework of the WebGUI from extjs4 to extjs5.

The Jessie upgrade will come after that.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One thing samba is good at is keeping a consistent syntax across versions. At debian wheezy back ports you can find samba4. First of course try it in a VM with your extra settings and if it works then you can do the upgrade in the real machine.
    I warn you that the downgrade from 4 to 3.6 is a PITA.
    I've tried last year the upgrade. Omv didn't complain at all.

• Hi,

first I want to thank the whole OMV team for your wonderful work. Now I was wondering if someone could compile Samba with multi-channel (wip) support. This feature together with windows 8.1 clients is superb for transfer speeds.
    I'm not sure this is a Samba 4 only, it is a Windows SMB 3 feature.

Kind regards,
    Selvam

• "superb for tranfer speeds"?

According to Windows I reach 113MB/s on a filetransfer. A friend even reaches two times 115MB/s in measured via nettop on a 2gbit trunk.
    We're both running Samba3.

Greetings
    David

• There's more that outright transfer speeds. Try lots of small files rather than one big file. You'll see SMB 3 perform much better than SMB 2. SMB 3 has much lower overhead.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!