Plugins that are wanted - Part 5

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd love to see ssh support in the rsync plugin.

Between the Destination Server field and Extra Options field, you should be able to use ssh. The note on the password field even mentions ssh. You would just need a public key setup.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Between the Destination Server field and Extra Options field, you should be able to use ssh. The note on the password field even mentions ssh. You would just need a public key setup.

I'm sorry, you're right - what about the possibility to manage the keys for ssh and openvpn etc in the gui?

From my point of view, another really important thing would be data encryption. A plugin (which could probably use one of the programs I mention here) to create encrypted containers or volumes using the gui would be awesome. Honestly, I'm surprised that (to my knowledge) there isn't a convenient encryption feature in OMV - especially considering the disclosures of the past two years. Is that because of a lack of interest of either the users or the developers of OMV (which would explain why this is not even on the wish list)? Or are there just no resources to address this topic?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm sorry, you're right - what about the possibility to manage the keys for ssh and openvpn etc in the gui?

You can manage the keys for each user now in the user tab. There are two openvpn plugins.

There is no encryption for filesystems but nothing stops you from using encrypted containers. Personally, I have no interest in encryption. Why would I want to encrypt my movies?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Most backup software for Windows allows you to encrypt your backups these days. So if you are backing up your Windows machines include encryption via your software.

It is becoming common place to be able to encrypt the whole hard drive. OMV should at some point address this.

• Personally, I have no interest in encryption. Why would I want to encrypt my movies?

As I wrote in the mentioned post, I want to encrypt backups. Of course this doesn't make sense for media files. ;)

Regarding encrypted containers, one of my questions is how OMV handles inaccessible drives / containers:

I also wonder what happens to the sambda share, the snapshots and the remote backup if I forget to mount the TrueCrypt container or to put in the passphrase. In that case the shared directory is probably empty and the backup software of my computer is going to build a full new backup. Also rsync and rsnapshot will probably continue to work with this "wrong" and unencrypted backup.

In general, I think that a lot of users would be more confident to use encryption if it wouldn't require them to tweak OMV apart from the GUI. However, I understand that being able to do so is a huge advantage of OMV over commercial NAS systems...

Most backup software for Windows allows you to encrypt your backups these days. So if you are backing up your Windows machines include encryption via your software.

Again, I refer to my post I linked above. If I have my backup software encrypt the backup right away, I can't use rsnaphsot to create snapshots of the backup, nor can I sync the latest backup to a remote server incrementally over the Internet. That's why I want OMV to do the encryption stuff.

Probably there are not to many OMV users with concerns like mine (or they choose an alternative like FreeNAS right away), yet I'm surprised that an encryption plugin is not even part of the wish list. My research on how to achieve such an encryption with OMV stalled, that's why I opened the linked topic. So if you have any suggestions on how to set this up, I'd be happy if you'd share your ideas with me. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since encryption has been added to ext4 starting with the 4.1 kernel, I would think this would make it easy to add to OMV using this method.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is what my post implied. If encryption is built-in to ext4, then it should be easy to add to OMV. Although, I'm not sure what difference it would make if it was plugin. And don't worry, I'm not going to write it...

• Volker should eventually have option for OS drive to be encryped on install and option in the filesystem section when data drive is formatted. Microsoft/Intel/drive makers are moving the direction that everything is encrypted.

• Would need the backports kernel, even with jessie, so I doubt that he would implement it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I only say what I do because I think at some point he should seriously consider it.

I agree, it would be an important feature. Nowadays when mobiles laptops flash drives etc... are all easy to encrypt, it would make sense to encrypt one or multiple hard drives on a NAS.

• Actually I have to take back what I said. He implemented the CDROM feature, which needs a newer package from jessie. So forget what I said.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• It is just becoming standard protocol to encrypt. He may be thinking this already but waiting for certain developments in packages to become available. He has to wait a lot of the time for other developers. I noticed this way back before he released OMV .2 lx. He was waiting for certain squeeze packages.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't see encrypting the os drive because you have to enter a password in order for grub to boot. Hard to do on a headless system. If it is stored somewhere, it defeats the purpose especially if it is stolen.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know but if someone steals your server, tpm doesn't help and I bet your usb key is still plugged in.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!