Can WD Red 4TB HDD's be used for a self built Server/NAS or only for "real" NAS (QNAP etc.)?

• Hi there,

as mentioned here http://forums.openmediavault.o…amba-somehow-not-working/I have the problem that my RAID1 keeps loosing one of its two HDDs.
    When searching for a solution I thought of getting some professional help and asked my local computer shop around the corner to co-check my WD Reds 4TB for any abnormalities.
    I picked them up today and he told me everything was ok but in his opinion WD says that these disks must not be used in a "normal" pc (well, my system is a self built little and energy saving pc running OMV and can somehow be called "normal") but are only allowed in "real" NAS systems (like Synology, Qnap etc. - whatever the difference may be. He couldn't tell me!). =O

The first thing I did when coming home was checking WD's homepage and couldn't confirm his statement. So now I want to hear your experience about that - what do you think?

Thanks in advance
    fahrer17

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

Western Digital WD Blue SN570

Seagate IronWolf 8TB/WD Red 8TB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

WDReds can definitely be used in normal PCs. I used two of them in my backup server for a year with no issues. Even my QNAP TS-451 is a regular amd64 system which the reds are in now. People used to say the same thing about Samsung F4s. I have been using 8 of them in a raid 5 array for three years without a single rebuild.

I don't see a list of what your hardware is anywhere. Could be a bios setting or something simple.

Do you need realtime mirroring? Most people don't. You could just have a schedule rsync task sync the drives every few hours and avoid this problem all together.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

He's a moron.

• WDReds can definitely be used in normal PCs. I used two of them in my backup server for a year with no issues. Even my QNAP TS-451 is a regular amd64 system which the reds are in now. People used to say the same thing about Samsung F4s. I have been using 8 of them in a raid 5 array for three years without a single rebuild.

That's what I've heard so far.

I don't see a list of what your hardware is anywhere. Could be a bios setting or something simple.

True - I updated my signature.
    BIOS... Hm, it was ok for 3 or 4 months, than the trouble began... The BIOS is updated to the latest version.

Do you need realtime mirroring? Most people don't. You could just have a schedule rsync task sync the drives every few hours and avoid this problem all together.

Hm, probably not - sounds like a good alternative! Will definitely check that!

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you using the backports 3.16 kernel? I think a newer board like that should (if you aren't already).

How old is the SSD? I would recommend the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin to anyone using an SSD.

Do you have a UPS (battery backup)?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• KM0201 wrote:
    He's a moron.

What @KM0201 means is the person who told you that WD Red drives must not be used in a "normal" PC and are only allowed in a "real" NAS devices is a moron. Most of those people are told certain things to follow or don't know any better. They are only interested to make them more money by recommending something you don't need.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What @KM0201 means is the person who told you that WD Red drives must not be used in a "normal" PC and are only allowed in a "real" NAS devices is a moron. Most of those people are told certain things to follow or don't know any better. They are only interested to make them more money by recommending something you don't need.

This is correct. Sometimes I forget some folks here, their first language is not English..

To be clear, OP.. I was not calling you a moron... I was calling the guy that told you that a moron.

• Are you using the backports 3.16 kernel? I think a newer board like that should (if you aren't already).

How old is the SSD? I would recommend the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin to anyone using an SSD.

Do you have a UPS (battery backup)?

The SSD is quite new, I bought everything in June 2014. My NAS usually only runs when needed, not 24/7. And therefore there is no UPS.
    About the kernel - I don't know... It's a standard installation without any changes. I will check that as soon as possible but because of family duties this won't happen before next week :|
    But I really, really like the idea of rsyncing my stuff instead of creating that RAID1! :thumbup:

shadowzero + KM0201: Yeah, I finally got it (and I think so too about that guy). It was more a matter of reading then understanding - my fault :|

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

The SSD is quite new, I bought everything in June 2014. My NAS usually only runs when needed, not 24/7. And therefore there is no UPS.
    About the kernel - I don't know... It's a standard installation without any changes. I will check that as soon as possible but because of family duties this won't happen before next week :|
    But I really, really like the idea of rsyncing my stuff instead of creating that RAID1! :thumbup:

I would install the backports 3.16 kernel using the button in omv-extras. This will only help your board.

I would install the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin in the test repo. This will significantly reduce writes to your ssd.

I wouldn't run raid without battery backup and a lot of the raid problems I see are systems that do not run 24/7. I really think rsync will work well for you :)

• I have one 3TB red in my PC running, 200 days + and counting.

Oh and here you got the smart data of my 5 WD Reds in a RAID5. Never had any issue with them.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I even have problems using my HDDs as simple drives (the "new" HDD couldn't be formatted and even was not visible any more in the GUI after a couple of minutes) I wanted to check everything from the beginning. So I installed the two HDDs in my Ubuntu desktop machine and the same happened again <X

Now I will test them again in a Windows machine and maybe in a friends OMV machine.

Since the chance that I get two broken WD Reds is quite small I already fear that my OMV machine killed them - can this be possible, e.g. when creating a RAID!?

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

Highly doubtful that OMV and/or raid killed them. If the drives are from the same batch, it is very possible that both could be failing.

• No no, it's not that simple unfortunately :(

I bought two Reds when building my NAS. When my problems started the only solution for me after a lot of searching and testing was returning the assumed broken HDD. Now I have a new one with a new firmware and that's the one that bothers me :(

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do they work as individuals? Or are they just failing when in a raid array?

• No, they don't. I can format and use the "old" disc but I already fail when I try to format the second. This happened with OMV and with Ubuntu.
    I will post some screenshots as soon as I'm home again.

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you dd the drive? dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M count=20000 (replace X with the correct drive letter)

• Hm, now formatting under Ubuntu was successful - it took about 20 or 25 minutes.

Can you dd the drive? dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M count=20000 (replace X with the correct drive letter)

Code
    rico@H67A:~$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdg bs=1M count=20000
    20000+0 Datensätze ein
    20000+0 Datensätze aus
    20971520000 Bytes (21 GB) kopiert, 6,43495 s, 3,3 GB/s

But access to the drive isn't possible: Creating a file or folder brings up the message it's read-only; lsblk takes 5 minutes or more.

Ubuntu's Laufwerksverwaltung ("Palimpsest") says the drive is ok but has two faulty sectors.

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try this since it is trying to buffer too much:

dd conv=fdatasync if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdg bs=1M count=20000

• Booting the Ubuntu machine takes quite longer than usual with the Reds attached to it and when finished the "new" drive doesn't show up in the list of available drives today. Moreover my ext4-formatting is gone :-/

Drive management under Ubuntu doesn't look too good I guess (see screenshot).

sudo smartctl -A /dev/sdg

brings

sudo dd conv=fdatasync if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdg bs=1M count=20000

brings

Code
    dd: fdatasync für »/dev/sdg“ ist fehlgeschlagen: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler
    dd: fsync für »/dev/sdg“ ist fehlgeschlagen: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler
    20000+0 Datensätze ein
    20000+0 Datensätze aus
    20971520000 Bytes (21 GB) kopiert, 203,85 s, 103 MB/s

I guess best thing is sending the drive back though I own it not even 4 weeks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!