My system disk is full again

• The system disk of my backup machine is full again - the second time. I found that it was caused the data disk couldn't be mounted at startup, and so backup files were copied directly to system disk under /media/<uuid>.

Is there a way that I can make a small media partition say 2G in the disk and have the /media directory directed to this partition as OMV's mounting points? In case the data disk cannot be mounted the next time, it will only fill up the 2G media partition and won't affect the system disk.

Suggestion would be appreciated, thanks.

• But I have no idea how to make it in order so that media mounts first then the data disks.

Thats no problem, the entry just has to be above the entries generated by OpenMediaVault.

Also, very good idea. I'll play around with that idea...

Edit: Is that an external drive?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hi Subzero, it should be a contact problem, I cleaned the SATA sockets with alcohol this time but I just want to prevent it from filling up the system disk in case it happens again.

Hi David, please let me know if you have a solution on this? Thanks.

• We need to do a little more than just that. Gimme a couple of minutes to write it down.

Greetings
    David

• Sorry that I ain't very good at programming, should I be using "mount -o loop /dev/sdc2 /media" to mount assuming that the media partition is sdc2. Also where should this command be saved if it has to be auto-mounted at startup. Thanks.

• /dev/sdc2

You would use the UUID, not /dev/sdc2. Also, I have it running without need to repartition (I just created a 500MB file, partitioned it and loop mounted it to /media)

Also where should this command be saved if it has to be auto-mounted at startup. Thanks.

/etc/fstab

Okay, I will wait for you David.

I need to figure out how to recreate the folder structure under /media to the new /media partition. ;) Once I found a proper solution for that, you'll have it.

Greetings
    David

• First part (Aaron looks into a proper way to rebuild folder structure, wait for him until you do try it).

Code
    fallocate -l 500M rootfsprotect.img
    dd if=/dev/zero of=rootfsprotect.img bs=1MB count=500
    mkfs -t ext4 rootfsprotect.img
    mount -t auto -o loop rootfsprotect.img /mnt
    cd /mnt

Third part

nano /etc/fstab

Make it look like this:

Make sure that the protection is mounted before everything else that wants to be in /media/.

Greetings
    David

• Did not read all this but surely get this straightened out first. Even if a drive had to be replaced.
    He may just need a root fs delay for the usb drive.

http://phpbb.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1465

In one case a person needed a delay as high as 15 for a usb drive.

I think it should be a contact problem, so I cleaned the SATA sockets with alcohol this time. But who knows the real cause, it is in essence a trial and error process.

This happens in my backup machine that wakes up every night for backup and all disks are internal instead of USB drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!