share for Linux only

• Hi all,
    my OMV nas will have connection from Linux machines only.
    In this case please what is the typical, most secure and efficient kind of share I should create: NFS?

Many thanks,
    and sorry for dumb question but total newbie here :P

• NFS shares are IP-based.
    Samba shares are Username/PW based.

I'm using Linux and Apple only too and I'm on NFS and AFP. No Samba.
    Of course you'll need static IPs in your network.

I'm on NFS because of the higher transfer-rates. (ca. 100MB/sec in the max).

• NFS shares are IP-based.

You can restrict both NFS and CIFS/SMB to IPs. Also NFS shares auth via the UID and GID of the accessing user, unlike CIFS/SMB Shares.

I'm on NFS because of the higher transfer-rates. (ca. 100MB/sec in the max).

Yeah the overhead is smaller, but if you got a decent CPU CIFS/SMB reaches good speeds too, I personally reach 113MB/s, a friend of mine reaches similiar values.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• You can restrict both NFS and CIFS/SMB to IPs. Also NFS shares auth via the UID and GID of the accessing user, unlike CIFS/SMB Shares.

Thanks for that Info, didn't got that.

Zitat

Yeah the overhead is smaller, but if you got a decent CPU CIFS/SMB reaches good speeds too, I personally reach 113MB/s, a friend of mine reaches similiar values.

Greetings
    David

CIFS/SMB was slower in my network in every constellation so I went completely to NFS/AFP.
    Nevermind, I don't like CIFS/SMB that much, don't know why.

• Offizieller Beitrag

CIFS/SMB was slower in my network in every constellation so I went completely to NFS/AFP.
    Nevermind, I don't like CIFS/SMB that much, don't know why.

I had just the opposite experience w/ NFS and Samba. NFS was only slightly faster than Samba, but the biggest problem was when I transferred a large file (4gigs).. It always would choke and timeout around 3gigs. Happened multiple times with NFS, never one time happened with Samba

I wanted to like NFS, since there's really only Linux stuff here at the house, but it was just to quirky on my machines (several different Linux flavors). Samba has been flawless from the start.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!