First attempt at a home server.

• I have looked at OMV in the past, but am just now getting ready to attempt to build a system.

I have the following parts which were formerly a Windows HTPC.

Intel i3 4130 and biostar mb
    8gb ram
    2x2tb drives
    1x4tb drive (NTFS holding all my media currently)
    1x512gb ssd

I hope to install OMV and then have at least one VM running a Plex media server. I might add a second vm to handle a local open cloud setup

I need some advice:
    1 Will this setup run two virtual box VMs on top of OMV?
    2 what's the best route to get my media off the NTFS drive and then free that drive up to be a part of the storage?

I appreciate any help as I am new to this.

• 1 Will this setup run two virtual box VMs on top of OMV?

Don't expect too much from that CPU, but I guess 2 VMs will be fine.

2 what's the best route to get my media off the NTFS drive and then free that drive up to be a part of the storage?

Back it up to another drive, format it with OpenMediaVault and copy your data back?!

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tekkb ()

• I agree with tekkb, why wasting cpu and memory resources on VirtualBox to run those services if you can run them on OMV and using that resources to balance the performance of the server?

Thanks for responses. My main reason for considering a VM is that I am wanting to use nzbdrone vs sickbeard and I am not sure I can get nzbdrone working on OMV.

I too would love to have everything running on OMV and not allocate resources to a VM, so I am absolutely open to exploring how to get this working. In my searching on the net, I came across http://forum.flawless-server.c…erver-2-5-released#latest where this person is doing this - albeit with more capable hardware. I want to achieve a similar goal -- content acquisition (TV) and serving (Plex).

I see I can run plex directly on OMV, so I will definitely try this first. I guess my ignorance is guiding my thinking, and I would love any pointers to get a better solution set up.

• Alrighty then... I discovered through reading on this forum that sonarr actually is available and some are getting it to work. So, I've altered my thinking and plan to go ahead and see how well the OMV setup will work with Plex, SABNzb, and Sonarr all coexisting.

I actually was able to get all of those installed without issue so far, but still need to configure it all. I haven't set up my storage yet since all the drives came from a Windows setup and I need to temporarily move stuff and add the drives back one at a time to the OMV system.

When all that is done, I will have 1x4TB and 3x2TB drives. Right now I am considering EXT4 for the lot. I guess I am going to find a quick guide on the best way to set up the 10gb of storage now.

• Yeah, do what you have to do to get all your data drives as ext4. You can connect a NTFS drive temporarily to move data but it is not recommended to have a data drive formatted as NTFS permanently.

And yes, the services you mentioned are all plugins so you should have not problem with them co-existing. It is recommended to get a vm of OMV up and running for testing things with the Virtualbox plugin. It would save you many headaches.

• After much fiddling, I have the system up, and functioning.

Plex is serving my media well across the home network.
    Sonarr and SABnzb are grabbing tv shows without any problem.

I have not been able to get Calibre working as I like, but I think it is the way I am trying to move my library. I have 26gb of books in a single library on a laptop. I want to move this to the server. I copied them to an external drive, mounted it, and copied those to the import folder. After clicking import, the process has been running for over 24hrs and it has added roughly 1/3 of the books. I think I should have just copied the library over and use the import for adding to the library in the future.

• I am happy to say the system is up and running.

And my quick hack job on a dead UPS to add a new set of batteries. This will hold until the new UPS arrives. Power here in Madagascar is often unreliable.

Machine specs:

Biostar B85S3+
    Intel i3 4160
    8GB RAM
    512GB SSD - System drive for OMV [I feel this is wasted, but it's all I had :-)]
    1x4TB HDD - Media share, EXT4
    3x2TB HDD - Opencloud(planned), Calibre Library, AFP for TimeMachine backups, all EXT4 -- [UPDATE]I have decided not to use TimeMachine, and we're just using CarbonCopyCloner instead.

Running Sonarr and SABnzbd to acquire TV shows and feed them to the Media share.
    Running Plex Server which serves my media to all devices in the house.
    Running Calibre to serve our E-Book collection

Transfers across the local network are running at about 93Mb per sec, and I am happy with that.

LCDProc is the last challenge for me. I hope to get notifications from Sonarr on the LCD, but currently it just scrolls through system info.

I've gleaned a lot from this forum, and I am very happy with OMV.

• Crazy you are in Madagascar. Are you doing research or something?

I absolutely love it here. I am a missionary -- and I work mainly with those that are located out in the rural areas. My family and I have lived here for seven years.

We didn't have internet at all for several years, but now have a decent connection -- when it works :)

• I salvaged these parts from a former AMD based HTPC. The motherboard in that system gave out, and I built an entirely new system to replace it as my kids are getting older and spend more time gaming on that machine. I bought the parts internationally for that system and paid roughly 15% over what I'd pay if I were in the US ordering online.

I was left with the rest of the parts mentioned in the OP, minus the CPU and MB, which I again acquired internationally while travelling. Being able to secure the parts easily is fine to justify the extra expense. I wanted to move the media off the computer to a NAS and I have now successfully accomplished this.

Madagascar is hard on PC parts and electronics in general. We go for period of generated power and the parts are operating in higher ambient temps as well as high humidity. It does mean we replace HDDs and other components more often, but it's an accepted reality given the environment.

• Guess thats the first and only OpenMediaVault NAS in Madagascar then, and you didn't even try our demo. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• You need a home with a basement, or cellar, and a dehumidifier. :)

My great-great grandfather's sister was a deaconess, via the Lutheran Church, and did missionary work on Madagascar. A lot of interesting wild life there. Hopefully it can be preserved.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!