[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Under "Storage - File Systems" is listed one of my zfs filesystems. But I think this is not correct, because my other zfs filesystems also aren't specified there. Have a look at the screenshot. Can you explain the right way to remove it from this section?

A bit late reply, but all your ZFS filesystems should be listed there... Could you paste a screenshot from the ZFS plugin that shows your ZFS hierarchy?

• If you ask about what options I wasn't able to find how to replace a disk in a RAID-Z or to set the autoexpand to yes without using the CLI.

I haven't had the opportunity to implement these features and now I unfortunately don't have time to do it. I know this limits the usefullness to some extent, but I'm afraid it will stay this way for quite some time.

Also the "Edit Options" menu should give a list of available options to things like the Compression.

Some of the options were intentionally left out by design, right or wrong I don't know but I lack the ZFS knowledge to question the decision.

• This indicates that the ZFS module isn't installed which is required by the plugin. Try and see if you can reinstall the Debian zfs packages.

that did it. question is how did this happen at all. just not sure what went wrong during the upgrade to delete the package from the distro. just weird. either way, thank again for the help, never thought to look there.

• Not yet I'm afraid. All help with this is very appreciated.

I am not a coder. I can help with testing only.

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• A bit late reply, but all your ZFS filesystems should be listed there... Could you paste a screenshot from the ZFS plugin that shows your ZFS hierarchy?

Hi @nicjo814,

hm..., only the one zfs-device "mediatank/videos" is listed under "Storage - File Systems". Seemingly everything works as expected. For me it's more a visual error. Here is the screenshot of my pool structure:

So, where is the "problem"? What can I do?

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Hi,

Any plan on updating the ZFS plugin for OMV 3.0.20+

Also, my ZFS volume is now at 84%. And i keep getting a warning, is it safe to use it ? Or should i reduce it to below 80% ?

I read somewhere that its not safe to use ZFS over 92 % or something, it that correct ?

Thanks,
    Aditya Xavier.

• Wow, thanks for the information.

Am having a weird issue though, OSX's Finder informs me that free disk space is around 509 GBs, but df -h tell me 475 GB !

Any clue what might be wrong ? I believe the files i deleted didn't actually free the space .. Is that possible ?

• Hmm, i guess thats it !

On a side note, whats the status of ZFS on OMV 3.0 ? I understand that the plugin is not ready yet, but manually adding the APT src and installing from there , would that work ? Would the UI at least help me with the Sharing ?

• On a side note, whats the status of ZFS on OMV 3.0 ? I understand that the plugin is not ready yet, but manually adding the APT src and installing from there , would that work ? Would the UI at least help me with the Sharing ?

I would also like to see some developing activities for the zfs plugin on omv3.

Greetings Hoppel

• Offizieller Beitrag

That plugin was created by two developers @miras and @nicjo814. The first did all the backend code in php and the later did the front end web design js code. From the backend developer we haven't heard in a while IMO he probably should be the one doing the porting. From Niclas who maintains docker and zfs we already know he has no ETA on any. Zfs should be the priority, but there are no dev resources atm. Don't ask here for follow ups, you can go to GitHub and check for yourselves. Unfortunately Omv datamodels left all the porting code in Q1 2016 obsolete. Those plugins were ported at the beginning of the year.

• Thanks for explaining. Sadly I am not a dev.

• That plugin was created by two developers @miras and @nicjo814. The first did all the backend code in php and the later did the front end web design js code. From the backend developer we haven't heard in a while IMO he probably should be the one doing the porting. From Niclas who maintains docker and zfs we already know he has no ETA on any. Zfs should be the priority, but there are no dev resources atm. Don't ask here for follow ups, you can go to GitHub and check for yourselves. Unfortunately Omv datamodels left all the porting code in Q1 2016 obsolete. Those plugins were ported at the beginning of the year.

Thanks for explaining, yes i have been following on the Github page for the ZFS Plugin and sadly there is no progress there since 4 months.

Am a developer and would love to help. However, Is there any documentation on the porting process ? I tried searching for it, but to be honest it was a half hearted attempt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!