[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• If you get zfs to run properly (without the plugin), you should be able to install a new version of the plugin that supports the new ZoL version. First upgrade omvextras to the latest version, then do an "apt-clean" in the omvextras plugin (with zfs repos enabled). Finally upgrade the zfs plugin. Please be aware that I haven't tested this myself yet, but it "should" work. I won't be able to test it for another 12 hours or so...

• Offizieller Beitrag

There seems to be something terrible wrong with this release......

The postinst file is autogenerated and has zed runlevels wrong, and the enabling sequence is wrong, since first comes import, mount, zed and share. Here zed in first place.

You can examine it here /var/lib/dpkg/info/zfsutils.postinst

Edit zed to start at 2 3 4 5 instead of S, and place the whole update-rc.d for zed it the third place after mount, before share. Then run apt-get -f install

• I looked at the file and see what you mean... Your solution to the problem is probably the easiest way to get the ZFS packages properly installed. There is still a minor issue with the plugin repo which prevents the plugin from being downloaded properly. When this issue is fixed I think the best way to upgrade the plugin/ZFS packages would be like this:

• Check for updates in the Update Manager
    • Install only zfs related packages (not the plugin)
    • Fix the problems (errors) as described above by @subzero79
    • Install the latest omv-extras plugin
    • Do an "Apt Clean" in omv-extras when the ZFS testing repo is selected
    • Install the latest version of the plugin (0.6.4.2)

I'll post a new entry here when the plugin repo is working as it should again.

• i tried changing the post inst script but I still cant install

please help

• Anyone can guide me how to make zfs plugin work from a fresh install step by step after apt-get update and install the extra plugin?

Couldnt figure out how to do it myself only by reading this topic. Maybe its trivial, but i dont have much experience with linux.

I had a working system with a zfs pool, but after a fresh install i couldnt make it work again, it seens the zfs plugin is bugged.

Thanks.

• This is instructions from just a few posts back. Which step is it that you don't understand? Let me know and I'll try to elaborate...

Please note that the repo is still not fixed so you can't get a working plugin at the moment. Your ZFS disks should be ok by following the above instructions though.

• Thanks for the reply.

The 1st step would be "install zfs related packages", right?

do you mind telling me how i do it?

by apt-get i presume, what commands i should input in shell in order to accomplish that task?

• You could do it by enabling the zfs repos in the OMV extras plugin and then use the "update manager" in OMV to select only the zfs packages. Just make sure that you don't select the plugin, since the version available right now isn't working properly. You will get a bunch of errors when you do this due to a bug in the zfsutils package. Please see instructions from subzero79 on how to fix the errors. Then wait until we get the repo for the plugin fixed so you can install the plugin.

• thanks fellas, i think i got it.

so first step is installing omv-extras and enable the zfs repo.

after that you can enable ssh to facilitate copy and paste of shell commands.

so i "apt-get install zfsutils", will return a error after install

so you "nano /var/lib/dpkg/info/zfsutils.postinst" and change zed line to "2 3 4 5" instead of "S"

save, exit, and type the following commands

update-rc.d zfs-import start 07 S . stop 08 0 1 6 .
    update-rc.d zfs-mount start 02 2 3 4 5 . stop 07 0 1 6 .
    update-rc.d zfs-zed start 26 2 3 4 5 . stop 06 0 1 6 .
    update-rc.d zfs-share start 27 2 3 4 5 . stop 05 0 1 6 .

after that you can "apt-get install -f zfsutils" and reboot.

i did all this in virtual machine, will try on my server and see if my pool is acessible again.

thanks guys.

• so you "nano /var/lib/dpkg/info/zfsutils.postinst" and change zed line to "2 3 4 5" instead of "S"save, exit, and type the following commands

Almost right. You need to move the zfs-zed part:

Code
    # Automatically added by dh_installinit
    if [ -x "/etc/init.d/zfs-zed" ]; then
    update-rc.d zfs-zed start 07 S . stop 08 0 1 6 . >/dev/null || exit $?
    fi
    #End automatically added section

To be after zfs-mount:

Code
    # Automatically added by dh_installinit
    if [ -x "/etc/init.d/zfs-mount" ]; then
    update-rc.d zfs-mount start 02 2 3 4 5 . stop 06 0 1 6 . >/dev/null || exit $?
    fi
    # End automatically added section

Also change runlevel of zfs-zed as you intended to. Then all you have to do is issue the command apt-get -f install

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!