Owncloud 8 and MySQL: alternative approach

• Hi everyone,

i successfully installed nextcloud using the tutorial on page1 on an odroidc2-running on erasmus (great tutorial by the way).

Would someone please be kind enough to show us, who are just mere mortals, on how to install the collobora online, using a self signed certificate
    as mentioned here and here..

I don't know where to start.. been doing some readings but there nothing concrete on how to do it step by step...

please bear with me as I am not an IT person.... :):):)

thanks very much in advance...

• Hi,

your post save me a lot of time...the extra parameters were the missing part of my configuration.
    For me, your steps are also valid for the new nextcloud installation 9.0.
    I use omv erasmus installed from the iso and nextcloud from the zip, i have also omv-extras.

thanx

• Thank you for the howto! Before I try to install this I have two short questions:

1) I have two "volumes" in my OMV installation - System (SSD) and Data (HDD). Since I only want to use this for very small amount of data but dont want nextcloud to always bring up the HDD --> can I also install this on the SSD? I couldnt find an option to create a folder on my SSD in the first step :)

2) is it also possible to install nextcloud10 "in parallel" to my existing Owncloud installation? I want to delete the owncloud later ... but just in case :)

• 1. Yes, or you can move the NextCloud existing folder to SSD.

2. No point to install both.
    You can migrate from OC to NC.
    Just rename your current OC to OC-old, then copy Data, Config folders to NC.
    Performance the migration.
    Then copy the Apps folder to NC after the installation.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Same procedure.
    Since you're using a SSD, you need to install Flashmemory plugin too.
    It prolongs the SSD life.

Use SSH is fine.
    The NC is should be www-data:www-data.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• Thank you - but unfortunately I tried, and I am already lost on the first step: i can't create a shared folder on my system drive via the Web interface! That's why I asked if I need to ssh or if I missed something.

Shall I create the folders as user or root? With "The NC is should be www-data:www-data" you mean the user www-data should have rw access or owner of /www or /www/owncloud? If the second: who is owner of www?

• Use SSH to log in as root to create the necessary folders.
    Next, download the NC, then chown -R www-data:www-data /www/nextcloud
    Then performance the installation.

You can leave /www as 'root:www-data'.
    So root has full permisson and www-data as read and execute for /www
    chmod -R 0755 /www

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• I've got a bizarre problem when it comes to the nginx pool: Every time I look at my pool entry through the openmediavault web-page GUI, the user and group is blank. I can select www-data from the drop-down and save, but if I edit the pool, user and group is blank again. Is there a non-GUI method for setting the pool user and group?

• Unfortunately I am already stuck at "Configure the server". I created the pool alright, but for some reason I can't add a server and therefore can't enter the details. Do you have any idea why and can I do this manually somehow?

also two questions for the line:

(...)
    You can leave /www as 'root:www-data'.So root has full permisson and www-data as read and execute for /www
    chmod -R 0755 /www

1) with chmod -R 0755 /www it wasn't root:www-data. I used chown root:www-data /www for that, was this intended?
    2) doesnt 0755 mean everybody on my server can read the folder /www ? Isnt this unsecure for the nextcloud?

• I think you missing some steps that's why you're unable to add a server.
    Ensure your NextCloud HTTP/HTTPS ports are not conflict with other services.
    Double check your setup.

1. Yes.

2. I think you meant /www/nextcloud
    If your users can't read, how would they read the data?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• Thank you for your help! found this thread:
    Nginx (websites) plugin not working
    and apt-cleaned omv-extras and afterwards could update my nginx plugin from 1.3.1 to 2.4. -> with this it works good!

However when I am trying to go on with the server configuration I can't select the folder (since it is on my SSD). Can you also help me with this? Can I manually create the server? thank you for your help!!!

about question 2: no i meant /www. Above you wrote: chmod -R 0755 /www. Shall I not do this? It says now: rdwxr-xr-x 3 root www-data (...) www  - is this dangerous? What should the mod for www be?

• If you don't feel comfortable, then change it to :
    chown -R root:www-data
    then chmod 0700

Edit: the proper permission is 0755 for /www/
    So go back to /www, and chmod 0755 /www

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• thank you. Now the (hopefully last) problem:

When I try to add the server, I obviously can't select the folder (since it is not known to the gui). Is there a good way to manually add this? Is there possible a way to manually add my /www/nextcloud to the shared folder? Or the other way around: how can I manually create the nginx setup?

I tried to input a fake folder and afterward edit the root path:

Code
    set $root_path "/www/nextcloud/";
        root $root_path;

unfortunately this still doesnt work and I am out of ideas :(

When I try to access myserver:90 it says "file not found". Is it possible that this is because the name is setup-nextcloud.php instead of index.php?

• 1. Delete your existence nextcloud:
    rm -r /www/nextcloud

2. Re-create NC folder
    mkdir -p /www/nextcloud

3. chown -R www-data:www-data /www/nextclcoud

Follow the rest of the instructions from Page 1.

Why can't you create the Nginx setup from the OMV GUI?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• I tried but I still can't select the shared folder "/www/nextcloud" in the web-gui, because the web-gui doesnt know of the folder. I marked red what doesnt work.

Thats why I tried to add a wrong path for the server and then change it, but that doesnt work either :(
    Can someone please help me how to either add my /www/nextcloud to the "shared folders" in the web-gui or how to manually add the server config?

• You see the '+' sign next to the search icon on there, you can add a new folder for NextCloud.
    If you haven't create a NC folder in "Shares', then you can add it here.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• I am aware of this, but this goes back to the beginning: I can only create shares on my data drive (HDD) with the webgui, however I want to install nextcloud on my system drive (SSD) :/

edit: for some reason third time is a charm :) I now misdirected the nginx file, then manually edited the file to /www/nextcloud/ and then save it. With service nginx restart I've got it to work :)

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Edit2: one more question about the users I have to create in owncloud manually: they are not linked to the openmediavault users right? So there is no harm in using a name I already have on openmediavault with a different password, right?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!