Rebuilding greyhole pool after reinstalling OMV

• Plex database is not a Samba share with the plugin. The folder is not available web ui to be shared with Samba either. The chown for the plexmediaserver folder is plex:nogroup (not users for group). But nice diagram.... :)

Oh, I assumed like most other plugins that one must choose a "shared folder" as the storage. Thanks for the correction.

EDIT: I've updated the diagram accordingly. :)

• You didn't need too. Aaron and I got into big fight about this. He wanted all plugins to use a shared folder. I thought it easier for noobs if the plugin did things auto for them. It takes a lot less code if the plugins just use a shared folder instead of a volume. The virtualbox and mysql plugins used to use volume too.

On the ownCloud plugin it is really confusing for some people. They create a shared folder in the plugin Share Tab and then use that folder for the working directory in the Settings page, which is messsed up. The shared folder used on the Settings page should be created in the normal location, Shared Folders, in the web gui.

• You didn't need too. Aaron and I got into big fight about this. He wanted all plugins to use a shared folder. I thought it easier for noobs if the plugin did things auto for them. It takes a lot less code if the plugins just use a shared folder instead of a volume. The virtualbox and mysql plugins used to use volume too.

On the ownCloud plugin it is really confusing for some people. They create a shared folder in the plugin Share Tab and then use that folder for the working directory in the Settings page, which is messsed up. The shared folder used on the Settings page should be created in the normal location, Shared Folders, in the web gui.

The whole situation is complicated by the fact that there is an "SMB/CIFS" area in the webGUI, and a "Shared Folders" area - I still haven't really wrapped my brain around that yet, to be honest.

In my opinion (for what its worth) one should simply be able to create (non-shared) folders in their filesystem of choice and use those for plugin storage/data.

Leave "shared" folders to the traditional definition (is it just me who thinks "network" when one mentions "shared folders"?) and have one place to set them up - SMB/CIFS.

But that's just me. :)

• There is a reason for it. The perms/acl that are applied in the shared folders location are used differently when applied to services. That is why that location is necessary. If you give a user read/write when it is used in Samba for example the chmod , or acl, changes is not enough. There must be changes to the samba config as well. Many services work different so the basic info is stored in the config.xml when applied in the Shared Folder location and then the mkconf for each service knows how to handle what is in the config.xml when setting up the service.

/etc/openmediavault/config.xml (file where basic settings are stored from the web gui)

/usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/ (where mkconf files to setup service configurations are located)

• Thanks Cogitech and Tekkb, I have digested everything, including your graphic. (Truth be told, I had actually installed the PMS database on a second SSD I had in the box (OS is on #1) - thinking it might make for faster library services, etc. Unfortunately, the drive was bad and kept causing all kind of problems so I scraped it and just added it to Media Dr #4.)
    Gonna set up the snap raid and mhdffs with 3 x 4 TB media drives (already written to 9.7 TB combined) and 1 x 4TB parity drive if that will work.

Still want to get good confirmation that I can just change the volume for the PMS database to one of the other 3 media drives simply by changing it on the Plex settings tab in the WebGui - without having to redo the whole Plex setup (I have seen all of your thread discussions Tekkb helping folks deal with configuration and plex user issues, etc ). I need to move it off of Dr #4 because that is all that is no that 4TB drive, and I want to use it as the parity drive.

Thanks again
    GTE

UPDATE - On second thought, I do have an extra 2 TB HDD in the closet - could use that for the parity and include Drive #4 in the snapraid for future consumption - if 2 TB is enough for the parity?

G Elliott

System:
    Silverstone Tek DS380B Mini-ITX DTX NAS Case
    Silverstone Tek 450W SFX PSU
    ASUS H87I-Plus Mini ITX
    Intel Pentium G3420 3.2GHZ
    Patriot G2 2x4 GB DDR3
    Samsung EVO 120 GB SSD (System)
    WD Black 4x4TB (Media)
    Openmediavault 4.1.8.2-1 (Arrakis)
    Plexmedia Server - remote media access
    XBMC - Kodi for local/home theater (SMB)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gtelliott ()

• You can move it once from the default location. After that you need to run a command to chang the home directory of the plex user before it can be set in the settings after moving it a 2nd time.

Just ask for help when you are in the middle of it.

• Cogitech, I'll just leave the 2 TB in the closet for some other build - and save up some sheckles for another 4 TB when I need it.

Man I wish I could figure out how to use that "quote" function. Anyway, Tekkb, when you say, "just ask for help when you are in the middle of it", are you referring to, if and when I have to move the database a second time, or when I do it the first time. I had intended just to open the setting tab and select my "Media3" Drive for the database and hit save and apply . No?

GTE

G Elliott

System:
    ASUS H87I-Plus Mini ITX
    Patriot G2 2x4 GB DDR3
    WD Black 4x4TB (Media)

• Yeah, that is fine when you first set it up but if you decide to move it to a different data drive later you might run into some problems.

I have a recent post where I told a guy how to restore database after failed drive. It is probably easier to uninstall the plugin and then install on the drive you want, for the 2nd time, and then replace the database from the old install. Then get it running with the old database.

You can ask for help anytime though. :)

• If I just uninstall by going into the plugins tab, select it and hit "uninstall" will it purge completely, or do I need to go into the cli and do apt-get --purge uninstall openmediavault-plexmediaserver and the command to delete the plexuser (which I don't remember)

GTE

G Elliott

System:
    ASUS H87I-Plus Mini ITX
    Patriot G2 2x4 GB DDR3
    WD Black 4x4TB (Media)

• Thanks Tekkb. I'll tackle it first thing I the morning - and hopefully be out of everyone's hair here for a while.

GTElliott

G Elliott

System:
    ASUS H87I-Plus Mini ITX
    Patriot G2 2x4 GB DDR3
    WD Black 4x4TB (Media)

• But nice diagram....

Yup, really nice drawing @cogitech

Oh, I assumed like most other plugins that one must choose a "shared folder" as the storage. Thanks for the correction.

Since Tekk already explained it to you, Plex may follow one day, to have it coherent in all Plugins.

The whole situation is complicated by the fact that there is an "SMB/CIFS" area in the webGUI, and a "Shared Folders" area - I still haven't really wrapped my brain around that yet, to be honest.

Thats the Feature Volker missed back in FreeNAS and was one of his first design decisions in OpenMediaVault. You chose a shared folder, set up its priviliges and maybe ACLs and then share it via different Services. The thing is, you only have to have setup one share that you can re-use in all services, and don't have to configure it again and again.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can click the plus on the right side
    of the shared folder dropdown to create one... Is that not what you are
    talking about?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Morning Gentlemen - and again, thank you kindly for your expert advise and counsel. I can report that the uninstall of plex - and reinstall/setup - moving the PMS database off of my intended parity drive went smashingly. PMS up, running and all libraries repopulated. Question: (and yes, I know I said I would be out of your respective hair, but . . .) Part of the discussion above between Cogitech and Tekkb on OMV"s share/SMB set up included a comment by Tekkb that, "Plex database is not a samba share . . ." Here is why I bring it up: The 3 media drives that will be in the snapraid/mhddfs are basically: media1/MoviesOne - media2/MoviesTwo - Media3/TVShows & Media3/Plexmediaserver/Library. I had already set up the MoviesOne, MoviesTwo and TVShows folders that are on them as shared folders - shared with SMB, DLNA, etc. I understand once they are put in the snapraid I will have one "MEDIA Folder" to designate as the "shared folder" to use with any service. Hence, I would expect to remove the current shares from SMB, DLNA and any other service I have shared them with, delete the current shared folders, replace with the snapraid media share - and then share them with the services. What I don't know for certain then, is removing those as shared folders going to make them no longer available to PMS, a.k.a., do I need to, first go into the PMS web client and delete the libraries - then repopulate them after I have completed the snapraid setup/shared folder change?

Thanks as always.
    GTE

PS. And just think, after this I will actually be in a position to try and avoid screwing up a complete OS backup again. . . . I know, I know, select "image" this time.

G Elliott

System:
    ASUS H87I-Plus Mini ITX
    Patriot G2 2x4 GB DDR3
    WD Black 4x4TB (Media)

• Morning Gentlemen - and again, thank you kindly for your expert advise and counsel. I can report that the uninstall of plex - and reinstall/setup - moving the PMS database off of my intended parity drive went smashingly. PMS up, running and all libraries repopulated.

Great news, however you jumped the gun by setting up Plex at this point.

Zitat

Question: (and yes, I know I said I would be out of your respective hair, but . . .) Part of the discussion above between Cogitech and Tekkb on OMV"s share/SMB set up included a comment by Tekkb that, "Plex database is not a samba share . . ." Here is why I bring it up: The 3 media drives that will be in the snapraid/mhddfs are basically: media1/MoviesOne - media2/MoviesTwo - Media3/TVShows & Media3/Plexmediaserver/Library. I had already set up the MoviesOne, MoviesTwo and TVShows folders that are on them as shared folders - shared with SMB, DLNA, etc. I understand once they are put in the snapraid I will have one "MEDIA Folder" to designate as the "shared folder" to use with any service. Hence, I would expect to remove the current shares from SMB, DLNA and any other service I have shared them with, delete the current shared folders, replace with the snapraid media share - and then share them with the services. What I don't know for certain then, is removing those as shared folders going to make them no longer available to PMS, a.k.a., do I need to, first go into the PMS web client and delete the libraries - then repopulate them after I have completed the snapraid setup/shared folder change?

As I mentioned above, it would have been less confusing if you had setup the mhddfs volume first, then Plex...

OK. Shared folders vs. SMB/CIFS. The way I understand it, "Shared Folders" are just folders in the local file system that have appropriate permissions to allow plugins the needed access to read and write data. They are "shared" with local processes, not the network. SMB/CIFS is exactly what we think it is. Folders that are shared on the network. So, Plex's database needs to be in a "shared folder" (local) but not necessarily an SMB/CIFS share.

This all had me confused for a considerable time as I was learning OMV because instructions for plugins, etc. would always say "go create a shared folder first, then install..." or something to that effect. My assumption was that I needed to SMB/CIFS to "share" these folders because for my entire life "shared" folders are network shares. In OMV, this isn't the case.

OK. Back to the SMB/CIFS shares you already have. Currently, the "paths" to the SMB/CIFS shared folders that services/plugins are using are pointing at the "real" file systems on the individual drives. So yes, you will need to go and remove the SMB/CIFS shares and then re-create them after creating the mhddfs volume. The folders remain the same, but the paths to those folders will change (different UUID). This may apply to the local "shared folders" too, but I cannot be certain. Some of the OMV mods will need to provide guidance there. What I do know is that re-creating SMB/CIFS shares with the same name can be difficult if there is a local "shared folder" already named that. Also, it is impossible to delete "shared folders" if OMV thinks a service is using them.

You've really complicated things by setting up all your shares and Plex and everything before mhddfs. Honestly, if I were you I would start from scratch. I know if I sat down at your system right now, with your goals in mind, it would take way less time and effort to just start over. I would do things in this order:

1) Unplug the drives with all the media
    2) Do a fresh install of OMV
    3) Run an update, install OMV Extras, run another update
    4) Install all desired plugins
    5) Connect drives and create mhddfs volume (see notes below)
    6) Create Snapraid, using the spare disk as parity
    7) Configure/enable plugins, one at a time, specifying the mhddfs volume (or a "shared folder" or CIFS/SMB share on said volume) wherever appropriate

Regarding 5) when you create your mhddfs volume, the respective file systems on the drives will be "virtually merged" in the following manner (from the author of mhddfs):

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!