How do i get access to files on drives after re-installing ? Solved!

• I have been setting up my machine, and set users,folders and everything else... but made a bit of a boo boo and had to re-install it all again.
    The only trouble now is that i can not see the files/data already on one of the drives, is there some way to show the contents of a drive (this one has 2.5TB on a USB drive) so i can make them move to the folders i have just had to set back up.

OMV1.9 on 160GB drive, 5TB USB drive

I have been tring to set the machine up as a home NAS so i can watch films and play music on my smart TV, so spent a day and a half moving the data to this drive.
    But now can not get to the data via the web gui, how can it be done and what do i need ?
    I have already searched the forums, and some one said... {Huh? Just select your folders from the hdd and add them as a shared folder. Then share them again via the service you want}
    I tried that, and could not see the folders :(

Wiggy

• Hi,

you can enable ssh and connect to the server with winscp.
    Then go to /media and search your harddisk
    Another possibility is to use mc (midnight commander) on a telnet or ssh ssession.
    Or you can install the plugin "extplorer" in the webgui.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Like Enra said, additional drives in linux are mounted as a subdirectory. Changing drives is a Windows concept.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You have to mount it on SMB/CIFS shares if you want to see it in Windows.

First, you have to create your shared folder (root folder is important) :

Add the privileges you want (my account "tiste" is admin) :

Then go to SMB/CIFS and add your shared folder :

You should now see it in your Windows Explorer by connecting with :

\\your_ip\ExternalDrive

Cheers.

- ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ (SATAIII (6Gb/s) x6 (for the DATA), mSATA x1 (for the OS))
    - AMD A6 7400K 3.5GHz
    - Corsair 2Go DDR3 1333MHz C9 (x2)
    - Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
    - COOLER MASTER G450M (80+ bronze)
    - WD Red 2To 64Mo 3.5" SATAIII (6Gb/s)
    - 32 Go SSD mSATA KingSpec Half-Size Solid State
    - Fractal Design Node 304 black (HDD 3.5" x6)
    - RAID 5 XFS
    - OMV 4.1.35-1 Arrakis

• @tiste,
    many thanks.... this one worked the best of all. I was using explorer in OMV, but that would not let me move a few of the folders... then crashed.
    As i was still moving files, i did not want to reboot OMV until later or in a few days time.

This is my first time at setting up anything like this, i was using the machine running Windows 7 (just so i could stream the files to my TV) but windows was using to much cpu/mem so looked at other ways to go about it.
    NAS4FREE was one i tried, but then i was trying to set it up on a USB stick and it never worked... so looked around again and found OMV 1.9.
    I tried setting this up on a USB, but that never worked, and as at the time i only had a 500GB HDD inside the machine... i did not want to waste it.
    In my big rig running win 8.1 i have 160GB SSD, 74GB 10,000rpm x2 HDD & 1TB 7,200rpm HDD, and did not want to take one of these out...
    Then after looking through all my old bits, found a spare laptop 2.5 160GB HDD, so dropped this into my NAS machine and used that as the install drive.

I have used Windows for years.. XP,ME,Vista,8.0,8.1,Server 2008, Server 2012R2 so fully used to anything under windows.
    So once i installed OMV, i now have to get my head around all the different ways of doing things in this style :thumbup:

For me, its going to be a long hard slog to learn some of it.. but then i have always said..... its not WHAT you know... its WHO you know :love: and i have all your brains from the forum to pick as well as google :thumbup:

So a big thank you from me <3

• I'm happy for you @wiggy !!
    That's why forums exist !!
    And for the record, I'm new to Open Media Vault too but I spent a lot of time configuring Samba shares and using Netbios protocol and stuff on Windows.
    Cheers mate ^^

- ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ (SATAIII (6Gb/s) x6 (for the DATA), mSATA x1 (for the OS))
    - AMD A6 7400K 3.5GHz
    - RAID 5 XFS
    - OMV 4.1.35-1 Arrakis

• +1 @tiste for doing a nice job helping. Just want to let you guys know that I always use Network via the desktop to access my shares. I login in my OMV via Network and then my shares are accessible til I shutdown my machine. If this is not working for you there must be some issue causing a problem, maybe firewall or security software.

• @tekkb, the bit tiste pointed out was this...

Every time i tried to set the folder path, i was looking for it by using the "browse folder" function.
    I had no idea that i could set the "root" of the drive until i see the pictures from tiste :thumbup:

Now i have all the data moved to how i wanted it, now i use Network via my main machine to access the folders like you do.. its quicker.
    I have spent so many years using MS stuff, that it was all i knew. This is totally alien to me, but live is a learning curve and OMV is getting easier the more i use it :thumbup:

• You're welcome ^^
    You can change your issue to solved now :thumbup:

- AMD A6 7400K 3.5GHz
    - RAID 5 XFS
    - OMV 4.1.35-1 Arrakis

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!