I removed the OMV, but left Debian running to be able to reinstall it later on

• So it was in autumn last year when i almost made up my mind about OMV. But then i decided to remove it.

The major issue was constant file loging. It keep spinning disks up an down. And what was logged was a fake error. A debian bug that won't get fixed in Debian 7. since i do not access the box constantly i expected it to use as minimum electricity as posisble. so now it is logging only important things and accesses disk it seems about once every hour (at maximum). unless there is a break in attempt (fail2ban).

i also could not configure easilly some thing i expected them to be easy due to a plugin (e.g. OpenVPN). fiddling with interface provided no solution. it wasn't just the OpenVPN if i remember correctly. Anyway since i would have to extensively deal with various config files to setup the server i might as well have no GUI interface then.

So i removed OMV, but still i later decided to replace it with Ajenti to at least have some GUI on server. i configured most on server using via command line but administration is easier (to me at least) with a GUI.

in my opinion this is a good solution for LAN and if you do not expect too much from it. but if you want more you need to go into manual configuration anyway. i wish the GUI had all or most avaialable settings. settings should also always be propperly explained/named. otherwise there is no point in having a GUI. i also wish that the debian bug would be solved or at least would have a good workarround. as it was now disks keep on spinning up and down. both of them. just to log some error that is no error at all.

So anyway i will be sure to give out a next version a try (in virtualbox first of course) and hopefully i can use that one instead of Ajenti. I very much liked how the GUI was made, but there was something missing.

oh an one more wish if i can - make it available on Ubuntu LTS as well.

• What exactly do you want to archive with your post?

I was asked on IRC to explain to OMV community what is bothering me and what made me go away, so perhaps someone might fix it (since it was the bugs that bothered me). obviously no one cares about disks on home server that spin constantly for no good reason. unless this was no already resolved?!

Omv is not webmin. The openvpn is simple and I found it a very effective and practical solution presented as it is. If you want more control use the OPENVPNAS.

I never did expect a webmin. in fact I tried but din't like webmin.

hehe :) I need a emoticon that is shaking it's head.

I on the other hand would need a facepalm when I saw how some things are done well and others.... no comment.

In autumn I will retry OMV. maybe sooner since Debian install got corrupted and I found out that backup copies were corrupted as well (partclone said all was good when I created the OS image, but on restore it was a different interpretation of good). BTW Ajenti worked well when it was up (very usefull feature there that would be nice to see in other server WebGUis is virtual terminal in webgui), but overall OMV has better plugins.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The logging keeping the disks spinning?? It would only keep the OS drive spinning. The logging bug is easily fixed if you have a data drive or even partition. That is why I put a very small partition on the OS image for RPi. Something else must have been causing your data drives to spin up (if you had any). If you install the flashmemory plugin, all the logging is written to ram and might fix your problem as well.

As for the openvpn plugin, why didn't you file an issue on github if there were problems? Also, omv 2.x has greatly improved networking and you might not have the issues you had previously.

Ubuntu?? I don't see that happening. Once Ubuntu moves to systemd and OMV is working Jessie with systemd, it may just work but I don't think Ubuntu support will be a goal.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• the partition setup was:
    / - system disk on 8GB USB
    2 TB sw raid 1:
    /var/log - 2GB
    /swap - 2 GB
    /data - the rest of the disk

downloaded 2.x to see how it goes.

as i remembered those errors were also spamming the email besides spinning up the RAID1 disks.

@tekkb - I was trying to set it up myself. that didn't work and I am not sure why. I received extensive help from IRC, tried various commands, was pointed to some workaround, posted various logs and troubleshooting outputs... - in the end no one on IRC knew why it was not working. spent an afternoon on that and got nothing in the end - that's how easy it was. put a newbie in front of the interface, see if they understand it and can set it up without reading any extensive manuals. don't judge the user interface by yourself (if you by any chance know how to configure the darn thing manually by heart).

i remember how in the 90's you basically needed a book to install Red hat in dualboot if you didn't have any prior unix knowledge. they thought the interface is as easy as it get's. Well nowadays in Ubuntu you just have to do a few clicks and you are done (Windows had that kind of installer even earlier). Even latest CentOS is few click and you are installed. Clearly the UI in 90's wasn't as intuitive as they all thought it was. else they would probably keep it.

all I am saying when you guys develop, the people testing it should also be newbies.

OpenVPN make it intentionally complicated to set it up (both server and client), so that people would buy their services.

• I don't know who was helping you but if you need help with OpenVPN I'm probably the best one to ask. How many people do you want to be able to access LAN via OpenVPN? That is first question to answer so we can decide which of the 2 plugins to use. Give me specs on the machine you want to install OMV.

• great. that's good to know. wait a bit now. I downloaded the latest and I need to test it first, see how it works if bugs were ironed out I will do an install. previous system disk was bricked (I think power outage caused it, I have no UPS yet). it doesn't matter since I didn't have much data on disks yet. The stuff I did have I can move overnight. I actually wanted to install Ubuntu server but I am having a trouble with installer (it freezes on formatting at 33%). looks like a well known bug. but I found it was in Debian as well. still if OMV works well I could just redo the whole RAID array (which seem to be the cause of the behaviour of this user: http://unix.stackexchange.com/…n-stucks-at-formatting-33).

if it all works and If I decide to install OMV again, then I will post for help on forums then with specification and picture of how I planned the VPN. it's a long road until then.

also I have some money saved and I am considering either a USB HDD for system drive or to stick an SSD/HDD in the now empty CD drive. but their SATA donnection is a bit strange and without 3rd party firmware it gives IDE speed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

all I am saying when you guys develop, the people testing it should also be newbies.

Easier said than done. We don't exactly have newb testers lining up to test. It seems like newbs install something, can't get it to work, uninstall it, and never say anything.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!