Connecting to OpenVPN on Linux

• I have openvpn server running correctly on my OMV box and can connect to it on my windows laptop.

I downloaded the config files from OMV to my linux laptop and cant figure out what to do with them. I installed openvpn on the laptop and placed the config files in /etc/openvpn but whenever I try to go to a site it just sites I have no internet connection

I have also tried using the network manager to add a vpn connection but I have the same problem

I'm looking for a way to graphically control the vpn connection to my OMV box, whats the best way to do this in ubuntu/mint?

• You need to setup your OpenVPN Server to allow using the internet conection, that is not enabled by default.

For the config:

Code
    push "redirect-gateway def1"

To enable IP forwarding:

Code
    echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Maybe its neccessary to also enable this firewall rule:

Code
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.0.8.0/24 -o eth0 -j SNAT --to EXTERNAL_IP

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• my OpenVPN server I presume you mean the installation on my OMV box? Because I havent made any changes to the server and all of my windows and mac vpn connections to the OMV openvpn server work correctly - this change youre suggesting is specifically to get linux to work? :s

• my OpenVPN server I presume you mean the installation on my OMV box?

Yes

Because I havent made any changes to the server and all of my windows and mac vpn connections to the OMV openvpn server work correctly

Do they have internet via VPN and are in fact routed through the VPN? (Traceroute...)

this change youre suggesting is specifically to get linux to work? :s

This is to enable Internet Routing through the VPN.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this mint olivia? I remember I had problems with the network manager this one being unable to apply the proper routes for openvpn.
    If I a ran the conf in console as root it worked but as desktop username it didn't. Later on i trashed the install for LXLE, but I did not try the nm for vpn.
    You might have better luck in mint forums.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!