I need tips on how to move my OMV setup to a new server

• Hi,
    This is my first time doing something like this and I am not sure where to begin.

1. I want to move my omv configuration from my actual server to the new one. (Not the same HDD)
    2. I want to move my 2 sets of RAID5 data disks from the old machine to the new one. (same HDDs)

How can I do that so that I don't lose any of my data and configuration?
    I searched the forum, but could not really find a thread covering this particular case. The only infos I found were about how to swap the main system HDD in a machine.

Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Use clonezilla to clone the OS drive to the new drive.
    2. Just move them :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It's that simple? I only have to clone the HDD and move it to the new machine?
    There won't be any driver issues or anything like that?
    Well, thank you! My long time use of microsoft products has alienated me.

• Well, thank you! My long time use of microsoft products has alienated me.

But now you are on the right way, son. May the force be with you. ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist)
    It _might_ be possible that you run into driver issues if the hardware is brandnew or somehow very special. I would choose a hardware which is supported by Debian Wheezy and you should be on the safe side.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are running the backports 3.16 kernel, there is very little hardware that wouldn't be supported.

You never have to apologize for using a Jedi line... :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If he were not using RAID you could backup using clonezilla to one of the data drives. Then move the data drives. Restore image from the data drive to new hard drive, or SSD.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!