Installation on HP Microserver Gen8 fails - Can't connect to deban mirror server

• Hi,

i try to install OMV on a HP Microserver Gen8. Network configuration seems to work but can't connect to a debian server.
    My router displays the server with IP address but the hostname is set to "?". Could this be a problem?
    How can i change that during installation?

I opened a shell inside the installer. The file /etc/hostname contains "omv" (that is the name i configured) but my router just shows me "?" as hostname...

Spiff1
    PS: Happy new year

--> Solution:
    Hi,this was the solution:
    1. Installing Debian Wheezy netinstall (with no extra packages) + OpenMediaVault-> Howto install OpenMediaVault on Debian 7.x (Wheezy)
    2. Set the ODD harddisc as Raid 0 Array

Now the Microserver is booting from the HDD in the ODD.
    I don't know if the installation fail with the OpenMediaVault ISO is a general HP microserver Gen8 problem. Could also be my specific network configuration...

• My router displays the server with IP address but the hostname is set to "?". Could this be a problem?

Don't think that this is a problem.
    It only means that your server isnt registered with its DNS name in the routers DNS.
    Check the IP connectivity of your server with SSH and ping etc.

• Don't think that this is a problem.
    It only means that your server isnt registered with its DNS name in the routers DNS.
    Check the IP connectivity of your server with SSH and ping etc.

Hi,
    thank you for your suggestions.
    I can ping the microserver!
    I can also ping e.g. "google.com" from the shell that you can start inside the installer (this is running on the mircroserver itself)!
    I have no idea why i can't reach any debian mirror???

Spiff1

• Hi,
    im directly conencted to my router. No firewall.
    The router is connected to a Fritzbox which is connected with the carrier...
    Maybe i have success when i enter network configuration manually?
    Does it help to post /etc/network/interfaces or /etc/hosts file here?

I tried to ping "ftp.de.debian.org" and "cd.debian.net" from the shell.
    Both works ?(

• Hi,
    I dont think that your server network configuration is responsible for your issue.
    You have DHCP activated? Fine.

What happens if you type
    # apt-get update
    on the console?

/bin/sh: apt-get: not found

I will try the fresh Wheezy install suggested some posts above...

:(

• Hope that will solve your problem.
    My OMV installation on an Microserver Gen7 worked like a charme. :thumbup:

Perhaps someone else can explain, which paket manager ist installed first or why apt-get is not found.

• Hi,

i had no problems installing Debin Wheezy netinst.
    But now i have the problem that i can't boot from the HDD in the ODD from the HP microserver.
    This is a way to do it anyway: http://www.hardwareluxx.de/com…3207-81.html#post22905333

What i did was configuring my HDD as a Raid 0 array inside the HP Raidcontroller. Now the server starts from the HDD.
    But maybe it is a bad idea to do this configuration???

I can now log into the server via the webinterface!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!