New 8TB "Archive/Cloud HDDs" from Seagate are coming... who trys them first?

• http://www.seagate.com/product…line-storage/archive-hdd/

Who wants to try them first? They use the new SMR Technology to get more Storage out of a Platter. They also really put a new price tag on large HDDs, they are not expected to ship before February 2015 and they already have, by far, the lowest €/$ per Gigabyte Value...

Before you get too excited, those drives have some limitations. Due to those limitations you should not use those drives with often changing data.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I probably won't buy a single drive from Seagate. Ever. I've had two drives completely fail on me within a year and I have friends who have had drives fail on them too, all of them Seagate. Western Digital drives have never caused me a single problem. I even have an 8 year old IDE drive from WD which I abused with online file sharing for many years, it's still running fine to this day. I used my Seagate drives for photo backup and they still failed on me. Both of them. Seagate just make shit drives if you ask me. Still interesting development though! :D

• I hope that puts pressure on other prices too.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!