plexmediaserver service not starting

• I also have the same issue, I realise that is not help but it always makes me feel better when I am not the only one with an issue.

DAMONSTER - OMV 1.8 - 42TB RAID6
    XEON 1270 v3 - 16GB SAMSUNG ECC - X10SL7-F - ANTEC 1200 - HIGHPOINT 2720 - HIGHPOINT 640L - CORSAIR RM750 -

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try: update-rc.d plexmediaserver defaults

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Same problem here - sometimes it autostarts, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it crashes even when it startet properly after a few hours.
    Multiple reinstalls, deletion of the plexfiles by hand after uninstalling, apt-cleans, permission/user checks (plex user is in the system and got the proper permissions to access the folder)

I'll gonna try "update-rc.d plexmediaserver defaults" - even when we don't need plex anymore for now, maybe its use to us in the future :)

Edit:
    Output is:

Code
    root@NAS:~# update-rc.d plexmediaserver defaults
    update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
    insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script `plexmediaserver' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5).
    insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) of script `plexmediaserver' overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6).
    root@NAS:~#

OpenMediaVault 1.12 on Debian Wheezy 7.8 64bit | 3.16 Backport Kernel | OMV-Extras.org 1.10
    ASRock Q1900-ITX | 1x4GB Corsair Vengeance SODIMM DDR3 | 1xWD Red 3TB | 1xApacer 1,8" SATA1 SSD 32GB as system drive | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W | SilverStone Milo ML04 Black

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Nyctophilia ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did it start after executing that statement and rebooting?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I think i have the same issue. In my setup Plex sometimes don't start after a reboot or a poweroff.

The service shows it to be enabled but the running shows a red dot.

The boot log show this as the last line:

Code
    Sun Dec 21 13:01:25 2014: Starting Plex Media Server: done
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Adds the plex init script to the system startup list.

• I noticed that with the plex pass version it doesn't create the startup script properly ... it leaves a link to some symlink thats an empty file.

Removing the plexmediaserver file from /etc/init.d/ and then renaming the original back to plexmediaserver fixed it for me.

• Hi,

I don't have plex pass but same problem here. Sometimes plex start OK when system boots and sometimes not and I see the red dot.
    I need to "service plexmediaserver restart" to fix it...

I already tryed to:

pdate-rc.d -f plexmediaserver remove
    update-rc.d plexmediaserver defaults

But sometimes when boots ...it doesn't work...

Is there any known fix?

• Show me results of these, put the init script in a code box:
    cat /etc/init.d/pledmediaserver
    omv-showkey plexmediaserver

Also, never try to upgrade from the UI inside Plex. Always do upgrades in the Update Manager of the web gui in OMV.

• Show me results of these, put the init script in a code box:
    cat /etc/init.d/pledmediaserver
    omv-showkey plexmediaserver

Also, never try to upgrade from the UI inside Plex. Always do upgrades in the Update Manager of the web gui in OMV.

Ok, I think I have found the issue.

I changed the home directory of plex to be : /media/uuid/Media/plexmediaserver
    Because from omv I couldn't chose a subfolder for the plex directory. It was automatically /media/uuid/plexmediaserver.

So I removed the plugin and resintalled it but keeping the home by default on /media/uuid/plexmediaserver and this seems to be ok... After several reboots everything is ok.

The thing is that I don't want to have the plexmediaserver folder on the parent of my disk.....

Do you think if I move it again I will have the issue back?

• You can have the plexmediaserver folder in the root of one of your data drives or you can leave it at /var/lib/plexmediaserver on your system drive, by not choosing a volume when you enable it. Those are the only options. Plugins cannot be created with all options. Choices have to be made.

Also, you should not be messing with the home folder locaton. Let the plugin do it.

Also, once the plexmediaserver folder has been moved to a data drive you can move it to another data drive but not back to the original location at /var/lib.

• You can have the plexmediaserver folder in the root of one of your data drives or you can leave it at /var/lib/plexmediaserver on your system drive, by not choosing a volume when you enable it. Those are the only options. Plugins cannot be created with all options. Choices have to be made.

Also, you should not be messing with the home folder locaton. Let the plugin do it.

Also, once the plexmediaserver folder has been moved to a data drive you can move it to another data drive but not back to the original location at /var/lib.

Ok, very clear.
    So, If I want to move the folder to /var/lib which is now on my drive I need to uninstall the pluggin and reinstall it? What do you recommend? uninstall it via OMV or CLI?

Other question: plex says there is and new version when I connect, what is the best way to upgrade?

Thanks.

• Never upgrade in the Plex User Interface where it says there is an upgrade. You must wait to see it in the OMV web gui before you upgrade. The version that will install from inside the Plex UI is for Ubuntu, not Debian.

If you want the plexmediaserver folder (the working directory or database) at /var/lib the best way is to:
    apt-get --purge remove openmediavault-plexmediaserver

Then install it again via the plugin section. Do no choose a volume from the drop down when you enable it and it will stay at /var/lib

• I can't believe it!

I thought it was solved but not!

I have just reboot my server and the dot is red and the service not running!!!! :(

root@microserver:~# cat /etc/init.d/pledmediaserver
    cat: /etc/init.d/pledmediaserver: No such file or directory

root@microserver:~# omv-showkey plexmediaserver
    <plexmediaserver>
    <enable>1</enable>
    <db-folder>/media/97f93447-ec94-467a-821c-9745c9a46684/plexmediaserver</db-folder>
    <mntentref>4c64781d-6807-4332-b4be-c248e9df531f</mntentref>
    <showtab>0</showtab>
    </plexmediaserver>

• Sometimes it can crash... Just do this:

service plexmediaserver start

These crashing problems are normally caused by bad files....

Every time PlexMediaServer is restarted it scans your media files. This happens when you reboot. If there is a bad file(s) it can crash.
    This is the same type of behavior you will find in MiniDLNA and Emby too.

• Oh...
    So I have to live with it... ok... :S
    it's annoying because I have some clients using it and I'm not aware when it crashes until they notify me...

That's the same issue that I had when I moved the home folder of "plex" user...I thought it was because of this but not...

• If you find that Plex is crashing on every boot you need to take out all your media files and slowly add back to find the ones that cause the problem. Also, when you add new media try to remember what you added if you see this problem start you might realize the new media you added is causing a problem.

The media servers like certain formats better than others too. So check into that as well. For Music I always try to use mp3 just because I know I will not have issues.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!