Attempted to upgrade to 1.0, now network is not working

• Hello,

I built an OMV server a couple of years ago and have been using it without trouble for a long time. However, a couple of days ago I tried to update from whatever version I was on (I'm pretty sure it was 0.5x) to the latest. The upgrade appeared to work... though it's possible that I never rebooted.

At any rate, I tried to log in to my OMV server this morning and it wasn't responding on the network. After troubleshooting a bit, I eventually broke down and connected a head and keyboard to it and logged in through the console. Networking starts properly, but eth0 shows no tx or rx. Routing is configured properly. If I run ethtool eth0, it doesn't look great (reports that it's running 10mb when it should be 1000mb), but more notably it reports that no link is detected.

I tried the networking option of omv-firstaid, but that just looks like a wrapper around /etc/network/interfaces, which I'm sure is configured correctly.

Unfortunately, I'm really not sure what state my OMV server is in. If I run dpkg -l, it looks like I'm at openmediavault 0.5.6... but I'm 90% sure I followed the full set of directions to upgrade to 1.0.

uname says I'm on linux 2.6

The integrated NIC on my ASRock fm2a85x-itx motherboard is a Realtek RTL8111E. ethtool says that I'm using the r8169 driver. In my searching today, it looks like there are known issues with Debian and some of the Realtek NIC cards, however I'm not quite good enough on Linux to know how to actually resolve this.

There's nothing really magical about my particular OMV installation; I would have no problem doing a wipe/load from scratch. However, I have a software-based RAID5 array with ~6 TB of data on it that I really don't want to lose. I don't know enough about Linux and RAIDs to 1. know if it's possible to reinstall the OS (which is on an independent SSD) and re-create the RAID using existing disks, or 2. have any faith in my ability to do so without destroying data, even if it is possible. Thus, at this point I think I would really prefer to get my existing OMV server back on the network and upgraded over reinstalling from scratch.

(incidentally, I'm now getting errors at startup about not being able to access my raid mount, and if I cd into /media/<GUID>, there's nothing there... so maybe I'm already screwed.)

Regardless - my first priority is getting the NIC back up and running; it's miserable having to run back/forth across the house to google stuff, and I'm lost without apt.

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated!

• Okay... so I booted into a liveCD and had the same problem, which confirmed that it wasn't a kernel-specific thing (I used Kali Linux 1.0.9, which is on the 3.2 kernel). Additional reading found a post that mentioned that enabling IOMMU in the BIOS got past the problem on a Gigabyte motherboard, so I gave that a shot. Additional testing, still no link.

On a whim, I decided to go back to my original ethernet cable (I had swapped them out originally, to rule out the cable). When I plugged in the old cable, the link light came on and ethtool reported 1000gb! Upon booting back into OMV, the NIC is up and working again and I can ssh and pull up the web UI.

Unfortunately, my RAID is still inactive. I guess it's never easy!

• I can help you to upgrade to 1.0 (via Teamviewer), around noon my time, if you're stuck with 0.5.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!