16TB Limit

• Hi all.

I have just hit the 16TB limit on my EXT4 filesystem. i'm pretty much stuffed because I don't have 16TB of space to put stuff so I can reformat and start all over, again.

My question is why is the default to build the array with only 32bit support? If you need a 64bit setup to build an array over 16TB why the hell is this not the default? 16TB is not a hard amount of storage to have at home these days so its beyond me why the default limits the system so much. Failing that why isn't there a selection when creating the array first so you can pick, cause had I have known I would have never picked the 32bit (less then 16tb option)

The reading I have done so far shows that the reasoning was OMV couldn't read more then 16TB EXT4 partitions in previous versions but I started on 1.0 so this shouldn't be an issue.

DAMONSTER - OMV 1.8 - 42TB RAID6
    XEON 1270 v3 - 16GB SAMSUNG ECC - X10SL7-F - ANTEC 1200 - HIGHPOINT 2720 - HIGHPOINT 640L - CORSAIR RM750 -

• Are you getting any errors when you try to expand over 16TiB?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Are you getting any errors when you try to expand over 16TiB?

Greetings
    David

A pretty generic error in the web interface but this error at the commandline:

"resize2fs: new size too large to be express in 32 bits"

XEON 1270 v3 - 16GB SAMSUNG ECC - X10SL7-F - ANTEC 1200 - HIGHPOINT 2720 - HIGHPOINT 640L - CORSAIR RM750 -

• I need the one from the Webinterface too.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Code
    Error #4000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'resize2fs /dev/md0': ' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc:649
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->resize(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('resize', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('FileSystemMgmt', 'resize', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

For reference, this is at the command line:

Code
    root@DAMONSTER:~# resize2fs /dev/md0
    resize2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
    resize2fs: New size too large to be expressed in 32 bits

root@DAMONSTER:~#

• Code
    root@DAMONSTER:~# uname -m
    x86_64

Its already 64 bit as far as I can tell.

• Whats the output of '-a'? I can look at it later in a VM at home.

Greetings
    David

• Code
    root@DAMONSTER:~# uname -a
    Linux DAMONSTER 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.63-2+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

• Check this: (I think we may only miss the auto 64 bit flag)

http://blog.ronnyegner-consult…e-16-tb-limit-now-solved/

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

The 64bit flag is set by default in Debian Wheezy. See /etc/mke2fs.conf

• The 64bit flag is set by default in Debian Wheezy. See /etc/mke2fs.conf

My server has a nearly identical setup, including the auto_64-bit_support = 1

The questions are then:
    Why did it make a 32bit EXT4 parition if thats not the default?
    Can I change it to 64bit or do I have to fomat? (I am reading that link but its all going over my head, i will keep reading)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Dimtar ()

• Running into the same issue.

It seems like there is a bug with the creation of an EXT4 filesystem. I've bought 2 more drives and when they arrive I will finish building a second array running LVM and XFS and move all that data to the new XFS array. The bug needs to be sorted or there needs to be a warning on the web interface that EXT4 can only support up to 16TB in this case.

• We checked that. The auto_64-bit_support = 1 only means that it automatically choses 64bit if neccessary. This means it only creates 64bit filesystems if it is neccessary. Otherwise it will fall back to 32bit.

There also is no way to migrate the filesystem from 32 to 64bit structure. Sorry.

We're working on solution to allow the selection of 64bit structure when creating new Filesystems. This won't help you guys, sorry for that.

Greetings
    David

• This makes me so happy! So happy!

Thanks mate and whoever else is "We", yes this is sincere. When I first ran into this I was understandably frustrated but that quickly dissipated. I am lucky that I have enough drives to make another array and move everything over in place and not lose any more data. My road with OMV has been rocky but thankfully most of it has been sorted and one issue was the fault of a RAID card. Why this makes me happy is because I can handle the frustration and the issues but I want to be able to recommend something solid to friends and once this bug is fixed I feel like I can with confidence.

Thanks team and Merry Christmas!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is a rare issue. It only happens when you create an ext4 filesystem less than 16 tb and want to expand to more than 16tb. The only solution seems to be to use 64 bit flag all the time instead of letting the system choose. The system could never choose correctly every time because it doesn't know if you will someday expand to more than 16 TB. We just need to figure out if there are any side effects.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I created a Bugreport/Feature Request so Volker has a look at it.

http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1230

Greetings
    David

• I created a Bugreport/Feature Request so Volker has a look at it.

http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1230

Greetings
    David

Great, thanks David. I think the option to select at creation is a great idea, its not that hard to have 16TB of space at home anymore.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!