OMV Samba Performance Vs Other Distros

• Greetings,

I have an HP N40L, latest version of OMV, 8GB ECC, 3 WD RE4 250GB in RAID5 and a WD Black 500GB that I use as an rsync target to back up the main array, all formatted ext4.

Windows clients can read at approx 113MBs and write at approx 96 - 108MBs via SMB/CIFS. Life is good.

I have an HP N54L, and when running Windows 8.1, reads & writes to the N40L are at the above speeds. When I run any of several Linux distros on the same machine, read/write is approx 36 - 46MBs to the N40L as well as Windows machines. The distros were installed to the system drive and not run from the Live CD.

Any insights as to why the OMV implementation of SMB/CIFS is nearly 3 times faster than other Linux distros? My next experiment is to set up NFS shares between OMV and the N54L running Linux.

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would try systemrescuecd on a system that is running Windows 8.x and achieving the higher speed. If it is slow, then it must be using an old smb protocol. You could force smb2 protocol as a minimum to see if it speeds things up.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• UPDATE: I finally got around to setting up the N54L as an NFS client using PCLinuxOS. I chose PCLinuxOS because you can configure NFS via GUI. ("Old Dog / New Tricks" Syndrome...) Anyway, I can now read from the OMV server (N40L) at a respectable 104 - 108 MBs. I guess this mostly solves my problem as I only need to transfer large files to and from the server. The Samba speed between the N54L and Windows clients is acceptable for occasional file transfers.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!