Howto remove the "SparesMissing event"

• Thank you documenting this fix. I was having the issue as well. What is strange is that I did not configure a spare. I had a failed hard drive and after I replaced it and rebuilt the array I started getting these alerts.

• It seems the recover button not only adds the disk, but also launches the command 'omv-mkconf mdadm'. While the raid is recovering, the newly added disk is flagged as 'spare', you can check it with 'mdadm --detail /dev/md127' and 'mdadm -Es' commands. Therefore that information is written in the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file by the 'omv-mkconf mdadm' command.

If you run the command 'omv-mkconf mdadm' AFTER the raid has finished to recover, it will remove the spare parameter in the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file.

Related bugs:
    http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=734
    http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=747

• Yep, as you know - already known. I believe we will fix this after 0.5 or with 0.5 as for now there is a workaround and it is simply a minor thing.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• If you guys wouldn't mind indulging me, I'm confused. I had a RAID5 array (5 3TB disks) with one spare initially. (Edit: By one spare I mean that I could have any one of my 5 drives fail and no data would be lost.) One failed. I shutdown OMV, removed the failed drive and inserted an identical 3TB drive in its place and rebooted. Then, through the GUI I clicked 'Recover'. Now the status of my RAID is 'Clean' according to the GUI, the capacity remains unchanged (at 10.7 TB) and according to the details of my raid I have 5 disks active, 5 working, 0 failed and 0 spare and I'm getting the 'warning - spare missing' emails now. (I can't remember if the RAID 5 configuration would tell me I had 1 spare before my drive failed or not...)

Was my drive added to the array incorrectly, or is it functioning as it should (any one drive can fail and I'll be fine) and the emails are simply incorrect because of the spare=1 in the file?

I just want to be absolutely certain that I have one disk redudancy in my RAID as I did before my drive failed.

• This is a bug (as stated above) and it is no error and your raid is working fine.

A looong explanation can be found here:
    http://forums.openmediavault.o….php?f=11&t=1597&start=10

Your issue is: You mix up spare and parity. You are talking about a parity disk (one disk can fail) and a spare is a "hot spare", so an additional disk that will automatically be used for a rebuild if one of the drives fails.

In your case you did everything right, but OMV simply put in the spares=1 line into your mdadm.conf, which you need to remove. Follow the instructions in the first post and you get rid of that message every day. Your raid is clean and okay.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Thanks for the tip, saved me a lot of time.

I had this issue yesterday with my Raid5 on my Openmediavault 0.5.46 (Sardaukar)

After removing bad disk and complete rebuild, this error\bug presentet it self.

Does this bug happend to everyone who replaces a faulty drive?

I love my Openmediavault :)

• Hey guys,

I'm running OMV 2.1.25 and after replacing a disk get the annoying email about "spare".

I had to do:
    "omv-mkconf mdadm' AFTER the raid has finished to recover

as suggested by @pollux-tth , and now the email disappeared.

if this issue is known from 2013, why it isn't solved now in 2016?

Cheers!

• Just FYI - I was hit by the same on my OMV 2.1.25. Replaced disk in RAID5 array, repaired from GUI and I started to receive mails about SparesMissing event. Thanks to @pollux-tth suggestion, it's fixed.

• this is still a thing ?

Yes, it still is.

In OMV 3.0.90, I have got a RAID 5 with three discs, one had to be replaced and the RAID rebuilt, and afterwards, I got that message.

I "fixed" /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf now manually, hope that works

• This is still happening in OMV4 as well - had it pop up after rebuilding my RAID post-drive failure.

Is there a version of this guide that goes back to first principles in terms of amending the value of spares from '1' to '0'? I don't know where to start (but presume it's in Putty or similar?!)

• step 1,
    You need access to the shell. For example with a monitor & keyboard attached to the computer, or a remote shell (often with putty) to the ip address of the OMV nas, or even with the shellinabox plugin from the web interface of the OMV nas.

step 2,
    login as root

step3,
    open the file /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf with your favorite text editor (often this is nano)

step 4
    edit & save the file

step 5 (i think?)
    reboot.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!