RAID Disappeared

• Hi all.

I posted in another thread but I wasn't getting any replies so I decided to make my own thread. My system froze recently and I had to hard to reset it. Its a new system with not much on the system but I would like to get this resolved so I can continue adding drives etc.

Below I have attached what I believe is needed (seen from other posts) but I can provide whatever else that is needed. Thanks all.

blkid

lsmod | grep raid

/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

/etc/default/mdadm

DAMONSTER - OMV 1.8 - 42TB RAID6
    XEON 1270 v3 - 16GB SAMSUNG ECC - X10SL7-F - ANTEC 1200 - HIGHPOINT 2720 - HIGHPOINT 640L - CORSAIR RM750 -

• I have done some googling and some interesting reads have come up so far:
    http://unix.stackexchange.com/…y-disappears-after-reboot
    http://stackoverflow.com/quest…espite-correct-mdadm-conf
    http://superuser.com/questions…-raid-vanish-after-reboot

The current running theory from what I have read is that the drives were partitioned incorrectly from the start which is odd since I wiped them in the web interface first.

Output of mdadm --detail /dev/md0

Looks like /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc have fallen out for whatever reason. If anyone can help me with the command to re-add them I would appreciate it. There is some data on the array so ideally the commands would re-add the missing drives and start the array. I would like to avoid remaking the array (thus probably losing the data) if I can avoid it. :)

XEON 1270 v3 - 16GB SAMSUNG ECC - X10SL7-F - ANTEC 1200 - HIGHPOINT 2720 - HIGHPOINT 640L - CORSAIR RM750 -

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Dimtar ()

• Ok.

Small update, after two days of waiting and no replies. (I count from my original post in another thread)
    I have taken matters into my own hands.

Things seem to have panned out but I won't know for sometime (more on that below)

For now, to anyone with a similar problem this worked for me:

Code
    mdadm -S /dev/md0
    mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sd[bcdef] --verbose --force

This made the RAID array re-appear in the Web Interface but with 3 of 5 drives. I did a reboot for good measure.

So question to the community, this what my system is saying currently after a reboot. Is this part of a rebuild or some sort of file system check and I should just leave it?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Dimtar ()

• Sadly this is out of my league so I can't really help. What I just do no understand is that the array won't show up with 2 drives missing - In the first post I saw u are using a raid 6? correct?

In theory in Raid 6 your array and FS should show up just fine with 2 drives missing - did u pull them out after u recognized that they were kicked out of the array?

Then either plug in the 2 drives which where declared as missing and it would either start rebuilding or no - if not u would have to format the drives and then plug them back in - at least then it has to rebuild!

I am not quite sure if forcing the drives back in was a good idea..!?

Hopefully someone can help, usually it doesnt take this long

EDIT:
    When pluggin drives back in your new PC did u plug them in the correct order!? - i.e. drive 1 that was connected to Sata1, drive 2 to sata2 and so on. This is usually necessary so that each drive is detected as sda b c ... as in the old system - my guess is u just mixed up the 2 drives !? But still the array and FS should show up in OMV as beeing online though...mhhh

• Thanks for posting mate, thankfully I have that part licked or at least I hope I do. Right now I am just hoping someone will let me know if that screenshot I posted is normal and I just need to wait.

In answer to your comments, I agree its likely my data is still intact. Also at no point did I remove any physical drives so they are all still there. Thanks again for replying. :)

• Can you post cat /proc/mdstat, what kernel are you using (uname -r) ?

It looks like the FSCK is still running, can I run those commands whilst thats happening safely? SSH is not running at this point otherwise I would use that.

• Yes there is no problem. That should display the components of the raid and it's state

No dice, I am writing in commands but nothing is happening besides listing them. Do i need to do something like CTL + C to drop me back to the command line or will this kill the FSCK?

• An you don't have ssh enabled? How are you executing the commands from the screen? You have a desktop manager?

I have SSH enabled. I got the screenshot from IPMI which I am using. The web interface etc. hasn't started yet because its not running, nor is SSH. I assume that all starts once FSCK is done.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Dimtar ()

• In a little under 4 hours it'll be 48 hours since the FSCK started. Is this normal, it seems like a while? Is there a way to cancel it?

• ctrl+c can cancel it. I doubt that this long runtime is normal.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• In a little under 4 hours it'll be 48 hours since the FSCK started. Is this normal, it seems like a while? Is there a way to cancel it?

depends on the number of files in the array/partition.

i have had scenarios in ntfs almost taking half a day with over 20 million files

• ctrl+c can cancel it. I doubt that this long runtime is normal.

Greetings
    David

Control + C did nothing, I pressed it a few times for good measure. :(

depends on the number of files in the array/partition.

i have had scenarios in ntfs almost taking half a day with over 20 million files

I had about 3.5TB in used space but no idea on amount of files. Maybe 5000? I am going to leave it going overnight but then I may need to reboot the server. (its 8pm tonight)

• So I hard rebooted and got the system back up. I cannot for the life of me get it to mount even though its degraded but clean.

Any tips anyone has for mounting this before I write off my data for good I would appreciate. Thanks all. Also thanks for the help so far, I do appreciate it.

• Fire up the systemrescuecd via cd or usb stick and give it a try. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Fire up the systemrescuecd via cd or usb stick and give it a try. ;)

Greetings
    David

Thanks for the tip, I did take your advice but there was multiple issues so I gave up.

So final (I hope) update for the thread. I wiped all drives and started a new RAID6 array which failed within about 5 minutes. I then removed 3 drives from the 4 port HighPoint card and tried again. Its currently up to 25% in the build of the array. It looks like the 4 port card was the issue that caused the server to freeze and all these issues including the FSCK problems. Glad I found it early and only lost a little bit of data.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!