Bandwidth Usage (basic networking questions)

• I just wanted to confirm if any of the following scenarios would consume my monthly bandwidth. I added a bunch of things to OMV and I'm way over my monthly bandwidth limit and didn't know if the two were related or not, so just wanted to clarification...

I have OMV on a NAS on my local network. On the network there are 2 windows desktops, and 2 laptops. I use the following plugins:
    Deluge
    Plex
    Couchpotato
    Sickbeard

I also have OpenVPN server set up on the NAS. This way, the laptops can access the NAS when away from home.

However, the NAS also runs an OpenVPN *client* and I use that to connect to a VPN service (FrootVPN). So the machine runs both a client to connect to FrootVPN, and a server so my laptops have remote access.

Due to the fact that FrootVPN changes the NAS's IP, I had to set up a ddns updater (ddclient) on the NAS, and have that update a host on noip.com. The only way for my laptops to connect to the NAS remotely is by connecting to "domainname.com" in the openVPN config. "domainname.com" is always tied to whatever IP FrootVPN assigns my NAS because of the ddns updater I mentioned.

Recap: the laptops connect remotely through "domainname.com" in the oVPN config file, but my local desktops still go through 192.168.1.xxx:port whenever I want to access OMV or any of my plugins. The NAS itself is hidden behind FrootVPNs service

I feel like my monthly bandwidth usage has been going up ever since I set up openVPN, and hid it behind FrootVPN and I'm wondering if thats possible?

Specific questions (I know these are pretty simple but I want to be sure of the answers):

1. If I use my laptops remotely and connect to the VPN server on the NAS (using "domainname.com"), will my home bandwidth be used up if I DONT open any files? Of course bandwidth would get used up if on my laptop I opened a video file for example, but what about if the VPN connection is up, but I don't directly access any files?
    2. On my laptop, if I go to domainname.com:32400/web to access plex remotely and I play a video, am I correct in thinking that home bandwidth will be used to send the video?
    3. What about, as in #2, I access plex remotely through the VPN but go to 192.168.1.xxx:32400/web instead? Does bandwidth still get used at home? So accessing through the local network and not through the domain...
    4. On my desktops at HOME, will bandwidth get used up if I play a video through plex by going to 192.168.1.xxx:32400/web? (unsure about this one but I dont think so)
    5. Likewise, on my desktops at HOME, will bandwidth get used up if I play a video through plex by going to domainname.com:32400/web?

I think I understand 1-3, but would like some clarification as to what happens to my home bandwidth in cases 4 and 5.

Most of these questions are fairly simple, but I think I made the situation more complicated by introducing FrootVPN, a ddns upater as well as running my own VPN server on the NAS on top of that. I'm unsure how bandwidth is getting distributed now

thanks!

• 1. If I use my laptops remotely and connect to the VPN server on the NAS (using "domainname.com"), will my home bandwidth be used up if I DONT open any files? Of course bandwidth would get used up if on my laptop I opened a video file for example, but what about if the VPN connection is up, but I don't directly access any files?

VPN connection still needs some KB/MB to establish and hold the connection. So yes, even if you do not access any files, you need to transfer some bytes.

2. On my laptop, if I go to domainname.com:32400/web to access plex remotely and I play a video, am I correct in thinking that home bandwidth will be used to send the video?

Yes.

3. What about, as in #2, I access plex remotely through the VPN but go to 192.168.1.xxx:32400/web instead? Does bandwidth still get used at home? So accessing through the local network and not through the domain...

Yes. - for example: youtube. You need your own bandwith to see a video which is hosted at youtube. Same for your own network. You need to stream it and use your own bandwith for that.

4. On my desktops at HOME, will bandwidth get used up if I play a video through plex by going to 192.168.1.xxx:32400/web? (unsure about this one but I dont think so)

No, if you are in the same LAN, you do not use internet bandwith.

5. Likewise, on my desktops at HOME, will bandwidth get used up if I play a video through plex by going to domainname.com:32400/web?

Depends on your router. Usually it knows that this domain name is in your LAN and does not connect to WAN. So it should not waste any bandwith.

• By the way, I know why you connect through your frootvpn IP to your nas. Thats because your client enforces a route so it cant answer via normal connection anymore. If you like i can give you a how to later on how to fix that route.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Geez dude... break it down. I don't want to read a James Michener novel.

Hehe... and I was thinking about War And Peace from Tolstoi. ;)

Hm....I think I need some time to divide this VPN "construct" into it's parts. But why do you use external VPN services to connect to your home? There are ways to do that directly. I have been using OpenVPN for years now, server and client. Ok, the server has a fixed IP, but all you need to make sure is that the server propagates it's IP somewhere, this can be a file on a private webspace which contains the actual IP address and is readable for the clients. Or use a service like dyndns.

Of course a VPN tunnel uses bandwith, OVPN uses control packets to assure that the tunnel is up and running. But that's not that much. And I dont know if someone can tell what is going on if you have a "permanent" connection to froot.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• @datadigger because he uses a vpn client his nas becomes unavailable from his own home ip. I know that problem and can post a fix for that later when I'm home.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• By the way, I know why you connect through your frootvpn IP to your nas. Thats because your client enforces a route so it cant answer via normal connection anymore. If you like i can give you a how to later on how to fix that route.

Its ok, I think the way I have it set up through noip is better now anyway because even my IP at home changes from time to time due to my ISP

But why do you use external VPN services to connect to your home? There are ways to do that directly. I have been using OpenVPN for years now, server and client. Ok, the server has a fixed IP, but all you need to make sure is that the server propagates it's IP somewhere, this can be a file on a private webspace which contains the actual IP address and is readable for the clients. Or use a service like dyndns.

I do use a service like dyndns (noip to be exact), but the problem still persists for the reason davidh2k mentioned

And I dont know if someone can tell what is going on if you have a "permanent" connection to froot.

what do you mean by a permanent connect to froot?

• @Nem, I'm sure you are great guy. Don't take any offense. It is just hard to go from reading about double quotes/suppress expansion for use in if then else commands to seeing a long post.

@Mr. Patience (a.k.a Sebby boy), way to break it down man.

@datadigger, haha,.. Like your posts and your English is quite good. If you want to be a mod you have my vote! :)

David... :P We need some emoticons with a real tongue.

• @datadigger because he uses a vpn client his nas becomes unavailable from his own home ip. I know that problem and can post a fix for that later when I'm home.

Ok, I think I got the point now. After some reading I realized that OVPN on OMV is just a client.

I do use a service like dyndns (noip to be exact), but the problem still persists for the reason davidh2k mentioned

Agree.

what do you mean by a permanent connect to froot?

Well, the OMV box is a VPN client. Does the froot server opens a new tunnel to your home box in case you want to connect or is the client always connected to the froot server?

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Guys, all you have to do is fix the routing. I have the fix at home on my server, I can supply it later this day. ;)

Greetings
    David

• Ok David, I am interested in this fix.

@datadigger, haha,.. Like your posts and your English is quite good. If you want to be a mod you have my vote! :)

Oh....thanks for the flowers. ;) But I believe there are enough mods around here and I believe too that the big boss does not like me very much after that logoutbutton-story.

• My entrys in /etc/rc.local look like this (to be reboot persistant, replace with your own values! read source below for proper instruction):

Code
    echo "1 admin" >> /etc/iproute2/rt_tables
    ip route add 192.168.178.0/24 dev eth0 src 192.168.178.58 table admin
    ip route add default via 192.168.178.1 dev eth0 table admin
    ip rule add from 192.168.178.58/32 table admin
    ip rule add to 192.168.178.58/32 table admin

Source for fix: http://kindlund.wordpress.com/…-default-routes-in-linux/

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!