Email Public IP

• Is there an easy way to get OMV to send a daily email to me containing its current public IP address? The box is hidden behind a vpn so the IP changes, but I'd still be able to remote into it at times, which is difficult if I dont know what the IP is

• ok I think I got that to work. However, Im sending the emails from my gmail account and given that my IP is changing very frequently (and often in a different country), gmail considers it suspicious activity and locks the account down

Normally I could just go into gmail security and save the device, but this is not possible as the IP changes all the time

Is there a way to change gmail to allow for this? If not, is there another service/another method to allow the emails to be sent out correctly?

• Use a free dynamic DNS updater. Routers usually come with a couple of services for free dynamic dns, also some tld domains are like 6 dollars a year.

so my router does not offer a free ddns option. It only has 2 options and both of them are not free

I took a look at noip.com and they said they have a ddns service, but the problem is the same. they let you set up a free domain on their site, but you have to map that to a public IP address. which public IP is this?

If I use the public IP of my router, then it doesnt get me to my OMV box because that is running a vpn client to a service that changes the IP. I also cant use the IP that the vpn service gives me because that constantly changes...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Get a dns updater for omv, there must be plenty of scripts there, that's idea. You update the dns as the ip changes. I use to have vdsl, ip address changed like every 18 hours. I used dyndns by that time(not free anymore). Now i paid for 6 dollar domain from namecheap, that I believe you can hammer as much as you can with daily ip updates, also they are kind of slow updating to their dns.
    So you better stick with no-ip, and run a script in omv updating the public tun0 address. Can't remember how many updates you can fire a day with no-ip

• sorry Im very new to networking so I want to make sure I understand...

So I found something like ddclient:
    http://www.andreagrandi.it/201…-dynamic-dns-at-noip-com/

The idea is that I install that onto my OMV box. Change the config file to link to my noip account

Then the script will automatically check my NAS public IP, and if theres a change, update by noip account with the newest IP whenever that happens

This way I can always access the NAS (despite the public IP changing) through a domain name?

thanks for your help

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!