New to OMV, drives won't go to spindown/standby/sleep

• Offizieller Beitrag

The backports kernel is a much newer version (3.2 vs 3.16) and has newer/updated code. It may eliminate a problem that the 3.2 kernel has.

No, ext4 doesn't do anything that takes days to initialize. If you create a mdadm array and don't let it finish syncing, it can take days to format the array.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The backports kernel is a much newer version (3.2 vs 3.16) and has newer/updated code. It may eliminate a problem that the 3.2 kernel has.

No, ext4 doesn't do anything that takes days to initialize. If you create a mdadm array and don't let it finish syncing, it can take days to format the array.

I just installed the backport kernel, the same thing is happening.

On EXT4 there is constant disk writing, you can hear it happening, the sound is consistent and no spin down.
    EXT3 no issue at all, no disk writing and spindown.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would try xfs. If xfs doesn't do it, then I would say it is an ext4 bug in the debian kernels.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is from 2011

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=113516&p=3
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39072

Try booting in single user mode to see if the disks low their rev's
    more info

"It seems that ext4 does its 'quick format' by postposting a lot of its initialisation until it is mounted (the uninit_bg option, perhaps?) and I suspect that jbd2 is doing this after you first format the drive. One of the comments here suggested that jbd2 writes to the partition after creation for a time proportional to its size, and suggested 10 minutes per 200 GB, which would indicate 50 minutes per TB. I formatted a 3TB ext4 drive yesterday and jbd2 was writing away for ages, but it has now stopped.

btrfs doesn't do this, btw, but I don't trust it yet for external drives - eg you need a recent kernel (3.4+, I think) or the kernel will oops (and possibly lose data) if you remove the drive without unmounting it first (which of course happens if it loses power)."

reference http://askubuntu.com/questions…-even-on-empty-filesystem

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use ext4, btrfs is available in wheezy not in OMV. You can't mount it with the button, neither format. You have to use CLI
    But you can circumvent around with manual entries at fstab and config.xml, in that way you will have available the volumes to create shares as the drives appear to be register at OMV.
    The configuration will be lost if you press the unmount button but it should be reboot persistent. Check on the forums a person last week asked about btrfs we gave him a couple of hints.
    How much time have you wait for disk to stop? you have 12TB thats like 12 hours according to that hint

• I use ext4, btrfs is available in wheezy not in OMV. You can't mount it with the button, neither format. You have to use CLI
    But you can circumvent around with manual entries at fstab and config.xml, in that way you will have available the volumes to create shares as the drives appear to be register at OMV.
    The configuration will be lost if you press the unmount button but it should be reboot persistent. Check on the forums a person last week asked about btrfs we gave him a couple of hints.
    How much time have you wait for disk to stop? you have 12TB thats like 12 hours according to that hint

Are you getting constant activity from jbd2? this wil be shortening the life of your drives.

Just looked in to btrfs. although I have used Unix like os's for at least 18 years I don't think i'll just botch something via cli, I like the way OMV does everything via the WebGUI, it works well.

Sorry I do not understand what you mean about waiting for disk to stop?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why not xfs? I use xfs. I used to use ext4 but when Redhat Enterprise Linux 7 switched to xfs as the default filesystem, that told me it was very good. And when I switched, ext4 was still limited to 16 tb and my raid array was getting close.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you getting constant activity from jbd2?

No i don't, i've just checked. Sometimes I can hear the disk spinning up when I login through ssh and start doing some CLI in the media drives. But is just a few times. My drives are always in activity mainly because torrents.

Sorry I do not understand what you mean about waiting for disk to stop?

The guy said it might take 10 minutes per 200GB in ext4 for jbd2 to write to the partition after initialization. Check the ubuntu reference i posted

• Why not xfs? I use xfs. I used to use ext4 but when Redhat Enterprise Linux 7 switched to xfs as the default filesystem, that told me it was very good. And when I switched, ext4 was still limited to 16 tb and my raid array was getting close.

XFS is new to me, EXTx, ReiserFS, ZFS I know well.

Interesting that you use XFS, I might try it if other users are using it successfully.

• No i don't, i've just checked. Sometimes I can hear the disk spinning up when I login through ssh and start doing some CLI in the media drives. But is just a few times. My drives are always in activity mainly because torrents.

The guy said it might take 10 minutes per 200GB in ext4 for jbd2 to write to the partition after initialization. Check the ubuntu reference i posted

This is what I was wondering, maybe I need to leave it a few days after raid/filesystem initialisation to see if it calms down, I left it on for maybe 9hrs overnight and it was still doing it, but EXT4 can be configured to format/initialise in the background so there is less of a wait to get a large filesystem running. But doesn't really do a "quickformat" as such as it's ongoing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

xfs is a 20+ year old filesystem developed by Silicon Graphics (SGI). So, very well tested and mature filesystem. I'm using it on five production servers. @davidh2k uses it as well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are right about the power outage issue and I wouldn't use it without a UPS. My systems all have a UPS on them and never had any issues. Even my test system without a UPS hasn't had an issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is an alpha zfs plugin in development right now. Works well on my test box.

• There is an alpha zfs plugin in development right now. Works well on my test box.

XFS is working fine, no constant activity and spin down works perfectly...

What is going on with EXT4 how it works for some and not others, this could be causing issues on some users hard drives/ssd's with wear...

Is there any way to change the spin up from a single drive at a time to multiple drives?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!