Ftp Client

• Hello,

I'm new here and new to OMV as well. I've been trying to set it up (for now only VMBox) and I have one question regarding FTP.
    Is there any way, to upload files from my OMV machine to remote FTP server?
    I hope there is some FTP client, but I can not see any for now (I'd like to use it from web interface if possible).
    If that question is very stupid, I'm sorry ;)

Any advice?

• There's no graphical FTP client for the web-gui I'm aware of and I wouldn't expect one on a NAS system. The OMV web-gui is just a control instance for the system and not a graphical desktop.

But of course you can use FTP for transferring files from an OMV box, but as far as I know only from the command line. The basic version is to install ftp via "apt-get install ftp" and you can use the standard FTP commands in the "ftp shell" like open <servername> and so on.
    The more comfortable version is to install ncftp with "apt-get install ncftp". Ncftp offers more possibilities, Google for it - but it is still useable only from the command line.
    Somehow "graphical" is the use of mc (Midnight Commander), install it with the command "apt-get install mc". Mc offers an ui like the well-known Norton Commander and can handle FTP sessions as well. Use a pane to connect to a FTP server either from the menu with Right and FTP-Connection or by entering the command "cd ftp://<username>@<servername>" (MC will ask you for a password). If the connection is established you can copy or move files from one pane (local) to the other (remote on FTP server).
    If you like to automate FTP transfers I can submit a script I have developed to be used by crontab.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• datadigger:
    I would be very happy, if you can give me the script you mentioned for crontab use...

Thanx

| HP Microserver N54L | 8GB RAM (ECC) | BIOS-Mod | 6 Disks - 40GB Intel SSD (Erasmus), 40GB Intel SSD (VMStore), 2TB Seagate NAS HDD (Data), 2TB WD Red (DataBackup), 6TB WD Red (Rec), 6TB WD Red (RecBackup) | Delock PCI-E USB 3.0 (Art. 89315) | deleyCON Dual DS 2x USB 3.0, 1x 2,5" & 1x 3,5" HDD | APC Back-UPS ES 700G | rsync to remote site | NFS | SMB/CIFS | SSH | omv-extras.org - VirtualBox |

• @ datadigger
    Thanks a lot for the comprehensive answer.

There's no graphical FTP client for the web-gui I'm aware of and I wouldn't expect one on a NAS system. The OMV web-gui is just a control instance for the system and not a graphical desktop.

I agree.... on one hand you are right, but on the other, there are many different plugins for not only maintaining system (torrent downloaders, file downloaders, dlna servers etc.). In my opinion ftp client wouldn't ruin idea of NAS :).

The more comfortable version is to install ncftp with "apt-get install ncftp". Ncftp offers more possibilities, Google for it - but it is still useable only from the command line.

I did not have idea of ncftp, so as you have suggested I'll google it out. Maybe that would be better option than just standard ftp.
    MC looks to me best option until now, but still not as perfect as webgui plugin (or option in some file explorer plugin).

If you like to automate FTP transfers I can submit a script I have developed to be used by crontab.

Is there possibility that if I put file in specific folder on NAS it's uploading it automatically to given remote ftp?
    I would make few different folders, define different actions for those folders (different ftp addresses) and after putting file in one of those it goes automatically to given ftp address? If so, I'd like to give it a try (of course I'll have to learn how to use it first).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Haven't tried it but extplorer has an option to connect using ftp

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you install the extplorer plugin? The link is in top right header once logged into extplorer.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes, I have it installed. I was plying around with it for some time already but haven't find it yet.
    If you mean switching to "ftp mode" then I think it's something different. I can not enter ftp address there, only choose ftp server from drop-down list, which contains only "localhost".
    I think it's for using eXtplorer with local ftp server or something like this.

• datadigger:
    I would be very happy, if you can give me the script you mentioned for crontab use...
    Thanx

I will do, but in another thread and I need some time to "clear" the script because it contains some company infos.

@ datadigger
    Thanks a lot for the comprehensive answer.

I agree.... on one hand you are right, but on the other, there are many different plugins for not only maintaining system (torrent downloaders, file downloaders, dlna servers etc.). In my opinion ftp client wouldn't ruin idea of NAS :).

Agree. ;)

Is there possibility that if I put file in specific folder on NAS it's uploading it automatically to given remote ftp?
    I would make few different folders, define different actions for those folders (different ftp addresses) and after putting file in one of those it goes automatically to given ftp address? If so, I'd like to give it a try (of course I'll have to learn how to use it first).

Not automatically, what you want is a script or service which is running permanently in the background, looks for new content in a specified folder and starts to upload if it finds new files. You can achieve that by using inotify or iwatch calling my script to transfer files.

Yes, I have it installed. I was plying around with it for some time already but haven't find it yet.
    If you mean switching to "ftp mode" then I think it's something different. I can not enter ftp address there, only choose ftp server from drop-down list, which contains only "localhost".
    I think it's for using eXtplorer with local ftp server or something like this.

Unfortunately the extplorer ftp "client" has a bug and I saw that Volker has filed a bug at bugtracker. The ftp client opens a connection (I can see that in the logfile of the ftp server), but it displays nothing - it throws only an error that this directory doesn't exist.
    I even found a way to add other ftp servers to the list and it connects, but the error message is the same.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!