Disaster - all data lost

• Hi,

I need some help, please. I just lost all my (almost 8TB of) data because of a poorly designed plugin script.

I installed the mediabrowser plugin (via OMV-Extras repo), only to realize that I didn't like it much. So, I uninstalled it. However, as it was installed in the root folder of my main (and only) DATA file system (it did not ask or even allow me to choose a different directory!), the uninstallation script deleted not only the plugin's files, but also all my other files (more than 10 years of pictures, professional documents, music, movies...).

So now I have an empty DATA file system, and I want to recover my data. Is it possible? How can I do this? Must I buy another 8TB of storage?

Some relevant information: my data pool is a LVM pool composed by 4 physical drives (3tb + 3tb + 2tb + 1tb), one volume group (DATA) and one logical volume (also called DATA).

Please, please, please help me.

Thank you very much.

Benny

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry I can't help you, as I'm not sure on this one... but if this really happened as you say that plugin needs to be pulled immediately (I don't use it nor have I tried it). Unfortunately though, not to kick you while you were down... 8tb of data that you've gathered over all these years... and you don't have a backup? Seriously?

Hope this all works out for you.

• I just had a quick lok at the plugin-code, but can't find any problems with it on the first sight.
    Pleae help us to identify the problem:
    1. which folder did you set for the DB in the plugin?
    2. please upload a omv-sysinfo-Log (see my sig for instauctions)
    3. you can use photorec to recover your files (not only for photos), which is in the openmediavault-backup plugin: http://omv-extras.org/simple/index.php?id=plugins-stable
    but please wait, until we had a look at your logs

Edit:
    This can be the problem: see: openmediavault-mediabrowser plugin

Zitat

Important:
    From version 1.0.2, the plugin allows for changing cache folder location. There you must specify a dedicated folder for the mediabrowser data. The plugin will try to take ownership, move and delete the contents of what you specify there. So telling that the cache folder it's your favorite media folder will obviously be self-defeating.

I don't take any responsibility of data loss and other damage caused by incorrect use of the cache folder location.

• Wow.... When I setup PlexMediaServcer the plex user is an other user and is read only on my data. Damn, we need instructional videos. This kind of thing is just sad.

I just looked at the plugin. The mediabrowser user should not be part of the users group. Then this could not happen if the data folders were chmod -R 775. The mediabrowser user would be able to read only on the folders/files and would not be able to make the cache in the data folders where people's files/folders reside. Run it as nogroup like plex. If the service has ability to delete things and several users are using it you don't want them to be able to delete anything via the UI. This change along with Solo's subdirectory for cache and fix in postrm.

BTW people, your data folders should never be chmod -R 777. If you do this you are at far greater risk of things being accidentally deleted.

• Thank you very much, guys!

I admit I have been a tad reckless in not making backups of any of my data. I had been thinking about making it, but I just postponed it...

Solo0815, I think the problem was just that. I have been reading that thread you linked to a little and now I have no doubt oas for the origin of this... About the information you have asked:

1. I set the DB folder in the DATA (main and only partition) root; I have tried to set it elsewhere but it only allowed me to choose the volume, not the folder.

2. Please find attached my omv-sysinfo log.

3. I will of course wait for your feedback, but when I will try to recover my files, should I use photorec or extundelete (the partition is formatted as ext4)? Is there any way to recover the files to the same place they were before, or I must get a separate hard drive to copy them to? Will I lose the file names?

Again, thanks a whole lot for your your precious help! I will be more backup-friendly in the future.

Regards,

Benny

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am working on this plugin since Sergio's computers were damaged by a storm.

The only time this plugin is really dangerous is when it is removed because it deletes the database directory as root. Otherwise, file will just be moved and can be moved back.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Benny, I'm so sorry for the problems that the plugin caused to you. I can only hope that you can recover your data using file recovering programs. Don't forget to freeze the volumes so there are no changes written to the filesystem until you access the erased data.
    If you access something on the volume during the machine start, like some services, you'll have to use other machine to recover that data.

Again, I apologize.

• Boot a live cd with exundelete, if it still finds all files inside the journal it will recover them inside the filesystem.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• SystemRescueCd has:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Detailed-packages-list

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hi,

Thanks for your words, Sergio. I did what you said and am now trying to recover the files with extundelete and will try photorec for the rest. Not much luck until now... Just a few of the files are being recovered.

I did not start from a live cd, though... Is that better than running the program from OMV, via SSH? I did unmount the DATA filesystem immediately after noticing the problem, so the disks are not being written. Anyway, should I do that?

davidh2k, AFAIK, "extundelete is designed to undelete files from an unmounted partition to a separate (mounted) partition" (http://extundelete.sourceforge.net/). So, I would have to have a separate disk to copy the recovered files to. Is this right? Is there any way to recover the files to the same location they were in the first place? The thing is I don't have another 8TB filesystem to copy all the files to... Today I bought a new 3TB HDD in order to recover all the files I can, but it is clearly not enough. I could select only the most important files to recover (I could live without the movies and tv shows, which took the most space in the disks), but extundelete directory recovery is not working so well...

Well, if you have any ideas or thoughts on this, I'm all ears!

Anyway, I learned one thing: backups do matter!

Thanks again,

Benny

• From my short experience it restores them files in the exact location where they were stored before, unlike other recovery tools which need an extra drive for restoring.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!